60 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2018 2:24 PM by Matt Thomas

Im really begining to hate this book

Matt Thomas

Ok, so this book is explaining nothing to me. Here is the instructions from the book. On opposite side is just a picture of what we are supposed to be drawing. Been here 2 hours and nothing so far. My drawing will not fully define for the life of me. There are two dims in the instructions I don't understand. Both involve holding the shift key but it is never explained to me what the shift key is doing....

I'm ready to burn this text book and find a better book that actually Explains to me why I'm doing it. All I feel like I'm doing is being a robot without knowing why...

Thanks. I'm going to go home very soon and pretend I don't have to use this book haha

• Re: Im really begining to hate this book
          Matt Thomas

also, cant seem to figure out what author means by parrell 2x.. does that mean to add a relation for those two lines twice?

Paul Salvador

Hello Matt,... try to post something so we can get started with what/why/where.... it is going wrong?

...so, regarding your book and page... I'll attach a link for others here..

https://books.google.com/books?id=hsS0DQAAQBAJ&lpg=SA5-PA20&ots=cfxuvDyLgu&dq=save%20your%20work%20as%20Wheel_Exe.sldprt…

Ned Hutchinson

Holding the shift key down will allow you to dimension to the edge of a circle,

other wise it will dim to centre of arc.

the bottom dim that says hold shift key is not needed

ScreenShot_20180508130213.png

Matt Thomas

Thanks. I promise I'm not trying to create drama and I know I'm new at this, but it gets frustrating when I am brand new to solid works and the book makes BIG leaps to somewhere that I have no idea haha. I double checked the instructions and it does not mention a constru tion line anywhere. I thought of putting one but thought that was bad practice haha.

If the book store takes this book back, I'll need to buy something else. Any recommendations?

Thanks again

Deepak Gupta

I've seen many other books from the author Paul Tran and I can definitely recommend his books. But I do agree with you for that 1.25 dimension there should be indication of how to get/add that dimensions.

Can you check previous pages if he has mentioned anywhere about dimension across a construction line?

Matt Thomas wrote:

If the book store takes this book back, I'll need to buy something else. Any recommendations?

I would also recommended Matt Lombard's SOLIDWORKS books, they are just awesome!!. And if you can wait for some time, his new edition "Master SOLIDWORKS" is expected soon.

And in case you looking for online video training, then I would highly recommended MySolidWorks and SolidProfessor.

MySolidWorks has lot of learning eCourses related to SOLIDWORKS and its related products. This is a great learning resource.

SolidProfessor offers a free basic account with 5 lessons and then you can opt for paid membership. They offer various learning tools under same membership.

Nilesh Patel

Hi Matt,

Ned Hutchinson has already explained you the reason for holding shift key while creating dimension for circle edge.

In regards to create the dimension 1.25 shown in the bottom left corner of the picture: Select the horizontal construction line and the line where you want to create the dimension 1.25 and then hold the shift key and move your mouse below the construction line and place your dimension. Type the value of 1.25. This dimension works as a diameter as you will revolve the sketch around the horizontal construction line. It should have been explained properly in the book.

Hope it is clear for you.

Regards,

Nilesh

Matt Thomas

Yes I did see his reply:)

No other pages in this edition of the book talk about construction line dimensions, nor does this lesson for the pulley mention to use a construction line. Just a lot of assumptions are made and since I am new, I'm not able to follow the assumptions or make a judgment call that would be considered good practice.

Bad practice does not make perfect haha and that how I feel atm.

" it should have been explained properly in the book" I agree but it was not. The supplied image I attached is all it gives me to learn off of. The pages before that were the center ball joint part where I created the wrong plane haha.

Dennis Dohogne

Matt Thomas wrote:

Yes I did see his reply:)

No other pages in this edition of the book talk about construction line dimensions, nor does this lesson for the pulley mention to use a construction line. Just a lot of assumptions are made and since I am new, I'm not able to follow the assumptions or make a judgment call that would be considered good practice.

Bad practice does not make perfect haha and that how I feel atm.

" it should have been explained properly in the book" I agree but it was not. The supplied image I attached is all it gives me to learn off of. The pages before that were the center ball joint part where I created the wrong plane haha.

Matt, I believe you will resolve a LOT of your frustration if you go through the built-in SolidWorks tutorials (under the Help manu).  These are very well done and will teach you some basics that the book is assuming you already know.

Richard Ahlgrim

I'd also suggest using the built in tutorials. I taught myself to use Solidworks mostly by using the tutorials.

Granted I did hand drawing in the BC (before CAD) days and used AutoCAD and Inventor prior to coming to SW, so I had a big head start on you. However, the tutorials will at least help you get a handle on some of the basics.

Tom Gagnon

I totally agree. If you have access to the software, tutorials are included and available. The tutorials are pretty good. Run through those, ask questions here, and ignore the books until you've got basics down.

I suggest learning the Search window for commands and help. This will be a handy and fast cross-reference.

I could suggest ignoring the class, but you're probably getting a credit for it. Learn what you can however you choose, and complete assignments. The assignments aren't the takeaway, but the learning is.

Matt Thomas

Maybe i should hold off from the book for a week or so and do all the tutorials in solidworks. I did the presure plate one and i feel i learned alot from that tutorial.

thanks for that reply and encouragement

thanks to all for the encouragement

Matt Lombard

When I saw this topic, the first thing I did was panic because I thought it was one of mine. Writing tutorials for people when you can't look over their shoulder in a program where there are so many options is very difficult. Especially if they aren't video tutorials. It's easy to make the assumption that someone has sketch relation display turned on, or that they know how to use dynamic mirror in a sketch, or the tricks to make tangent arcs. I struggle against this all the time. The alternative is that you write a tutorial that's 20 pages long and has so much irrelevant information in it that you forget what you're doing long before the instructions are over.

My one recommendation to people buying books (anybody's book) is that you have to approach it with a lot of curiosity. If you wait for even a book to spoon feed information, you'll probably be disappointed. You have to poke around and assume the writer is human. Maybe you can't learn exactly what the writer intended, but you can learn something. I try to do tutorials twice or more. The first time straight by the book, if possible, the second time I try to experiment and find the limits of the function being explained. That way I take more from the book than was ever intended in the first place.

Also, there is a base level of knowledge that you have to have going into these things. The Parallel 2X is standard engineering notation, although the application in this situation is questionable. I would have had the reader mirror the sketch. Trying to create a symmetric sketch without mirroring is insane, and you might even mirror about 2 axes.

Anyway, cut the guy some slack. Writing books is hard and pays next to nothing.

Matt Thomas

Oh i agree with you. in one of my posts up above, i state that im not being a hater, just frustrated and feel like nothing is being explained to me at all. I know writing tutorials is a pain. I had to write calc and chemistry curriculum all the time in my last job. I know some who hated my work and others who loved it.

"If you wait for even a book to spoon feed information, you'll probably be disappointed. "  this is probably what my brain is looking for. If you have ever had a strenghts of materials class or a thermodynamics class, the first 2 or 3 weeks, we get spoon fed because we have noo clue what we are doing and it can cause a coma haha.

i do try to approach with an open mind, but what stops me is not knowing if what im doing is good or bad practice because i have no guidance. The book says to use shift key while placing a dimm, but never tells why, so i started holding shift on every dim because i thought that was the correct way, until i noticed only certain ones had it, but couldnt figure out why haha.

still cant tell a difference when using shift, nothing changes with the mouse cursor or where it positions the dim

I am going to try and finish this part in the next 5 minutes. then do the in house tutorials from SW

thanks Matt.

Matt Thomas

TO ALL:

Thank you so very much for the help, the understanding, the PAITENCE, the kindness and appreciation you have shown me. Without you guys, i would have quit this class. I am leaving to go to another campus that is through the canyon. I know J mentioned this and i told him that the university does not offer a class and im a t a tech school that does things a little different. However, i did call the DEAN of this class and i am going to be working with him from now on. That means a 45 min drive through a canyon to his office... BUT I DONT CARE I WANT TO LEARN.

thanks

David Matula

Matt,

Good luck.  Just a little tip to get you on the way.  Read the whole page before getting frustrated, and then read it again.  Lots of the drafting programs will have some kind of hint what to pick on somewhere on the screen.  It gets easier as you start to know what to do and in what order to do it to get the results that your looking for.  Just be ready to change it up some when you get the repeatable crash.