13 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 6:54 AM by Sam Sam

Changing EPDM Default Programs

Whit Smith

Is there a way to change the default program for Solidworks files in EPDM?

Long story short I installed a viewer program (3D-Tool), used it for 5 minutes then deleted it.  When I initially installed it all of my solidworks files changed to use 3D-Tool as the default program to open them.  So I went through and chose to open the files with a default program (Solidworks Launcher) thinking that would fix my problem.  It did as long as the files are on my hard drive.  Under "File Type" on windows explorer it shows up as it should for Solidworks Assembly, Part, etc.  If I view the files in my EPDM folder it shows up as 3D-Tool-File (Solidworks) under the "File Type" column.  Why is my EPDM explorer showing something different than my windows explorer on my hard drive?

Below is my windows explorer view of files on my hard drive.

Explorer.JPG

Below is my windows explorer view of my files in EPDM.

3d-tool.JPG

• Re: Changing EPDM Default Programs
          Tony Vitale

I too am wondering this. Whenever i double click an image file in PDM explorer its uses MS paint...very annoying. images outside of PDM vault open in correct image viewer

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Hi!

Please check your registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats\ and the same HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats\.

What is written in .sldprt, .sldasm, .slddrw and SolidWorksPlugin.dll branches?

Whit Smith

The file formats listed under HKLM\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats\ are as follows:

.sldasm

12445 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

.slddrw

4253 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

..sldprt

8349 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

The file formats listed under HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats\ are as follows:

.sldasm

12445 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

.slddrw

4253 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

.sldprt

8349 REG_MULTI_SZ SolidWorksPlugin.dll

Sam Sam

Hi,

1. If in the register of Windows to give search: 3D-Tool-File - what will be found?

2. Besides, it is frequent when deleting programs, not everything is deleted - usually there is a sense to check: Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, Users/User/AppData/Local and Roaming, Common Files in Program Files and Program Files (x86).

Can be and other places, I in similar cases use Reg Organizer / Important sections of the register - where I delete only erratic entries in each section.

I do not give a warranty, but very often helps.

There is one more variant: in Administration PDM/Vault/User(or Group)/Menu Settings - (On File, but can be also other menus) - to press the Reset button. Also sometimes helps, but it seems reboot of the computer is required.

Whit Smith

I fixed it. I found a folder in the registry under HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-21-3622239501-491589924-3298418548-1002/Software/Classes.  It was labeled as Solidworks.3D-File.  The value in this folder controlled the file type in EPDM.  So I deleted this folder and rebooted.  Then when I logged back into EPDM all of my file types were listed as SLDASM File, SLDPRT File, etc.  So I guess 3D-Tool created that folder in there and when the program was deleted this folder remained.  Now that it's gone everything is working great.  Thank ya'll for all the help.

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Could you tell me what OS you use? The possible solutions are different depending on the OS,

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Hi!

Please check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<extension>

The next step is to look up the program identifier referenced by the extension, in this case HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Paint.Picture and find out what file this is. The bmp type is associated as a “Bitmap Image”.

The “Shell” subkey defines what various commands are available for the file, such as what to do when the “Open”/"Edit"/"Print" command is called.

Look also what command is default (so it will be used if you double-click on the file with specific extension.

Best regards

Alek

Tony Vitale

thanks for the info. When i double click an image file and the file is outside of the PDM vault folder it opens properly in photos app. Its only when I double click image files in the vault that MSpaint is used. I'm not much of an expert when it comes to regedit.

Sam Sam

hi,

At first the question is in all Vaults (if them much) or in some one?

Antiviruses, firewall are somehow set up? It can is necessary to add the necessary programs to exceptions, to set up ports...

If it is difficult, then:

1. Try in Vault on the file in the Open menu with the help, to change the program by default.

2. On any folder out of PDM. select Service/Folder settings/View - and to press the Apply to Folders button (Or/and Reset as Default).

3. In Administration PDM in Users/User/Settings/Menu/Clicke on file - to press the Reset button. (After that it is possible to repeat points 1 and 2, or to quit PDM (or to reboot).

4. Sometimes helps if in Vault with Properties to add the current user with all rights.

5. And generally, will not prevent checking - that all programs which are used with PDM (*.exe) on the Property / Compatibility/Level of the Rights/Level of the Rights tab - would be selected - "To execute this program on behalf of the administrator".

If all this gives nothing, there are assumptions that the user has no rights, it is possible on the server (or the domain). It looks so - it is impossible to change the program of opening of the file by default.

If changes of settings of opening by default or viewing of files of the domain user after reset do not remain - most likely it is problems of the domain user. Similar problems sometimes managed to be solved, having deleted a user profile and having created it again. But I cannot give any warranties.