4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 3:06 PM by Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Destroying Files

Mark Schulz

While running a report in Report Generator I came across some files in my personal folder that I was sure I had deleted.  After confirming they were deleted I realized the obvious that since I dont even give myself the Destroy rite there were a bunch of deleted files taking up space in our vault.  With much help from Ulf Stockburger I came up with a query to find all files marked Deleted.  Turns out there are 18,000 of them, mostly files that engineers such as me create during the development process.  The vast majority are in the working folders of our engineering team.  We have decided as a group that these files have no value if they were deleted in the first place, so I plan to take the time, when I have some, to Destroy them.  My question is when I destroy the files am I stranding data in the SQL database or doing myself some other disservice that I haven't realized yet?

Thanks

Mark

• Re: Destroying Files
          Paul Wyndham

As far as I have seen destroying the files gets rid of them from the database and removes them from the Archive vault folder structure. It even removes them from the tables where it shows that a workflow was used on the file.

For example if you had a test workflow and moved some files around in it then deleted the files but didn't destroy them it would not let you delete the workflow. Destroying the files makes it so you can delete the workflow.

I don't think there is a downside to destroying files you don't ever want to see again. It even gives you more time before you have to upgrade the server hard drive.

Mark Schulz

Paul

Thanks for the reply.  That confirms my thoughts but wanted to make sure.  We are about to do a server move on the vault because our OS was going out of date and I want to clean up as much junk as possible before the move.

Thanks

Mark S

Paul Wyndham

Yeah I know what you mean about clean up. I also understand the OS issue, most of my servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and I have not been allowed to upgrade for two years now. So, before I had a pressing need my IT department stopped all server upgrades. They are finally allowing me to get replacement servers, but still don't have a process in place. They have been arguing about it for 2 months now.

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Guys,

one more thing. Remember that after you will destroy the files from the vault you need to wait to 3 am to remove them from the archive server. At 3 am Cleaner Service is starting to remove files which have been destroyed from Archive Server. If you do not want to wait to the night you can change the starting time via Windows Registry:

HKLM\Software\SOLIDWORKS\Applications\PDMWORKS Enterprise\Archive Server\Vaults\<VaultName>

Create String Value

Name: CleanerSchedule

Value: Min Hour Day (as example: '0 18 *' will start Cleaner everyday (*) at 18 00)

Restart Archive Server service

Regards

Alek