18 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 1:18 PM by Matt Thomas

Creating a new work plane

Matt Thomas

Ello All:)

Today my instructor is gone to a conference for the school. So i can not ask him any questions. In the pic bellow, i am on step 3. Step 1 and 2 were to create a sketch, then revolve it. Step 3 is to create a new work plane.

I know how to create the new work plane and i see the steps involved, but the book does not tell me WHY i need to. it just says do this and that and your done.

Before i ask you why i have to, let me tell you why i THINK i need to. this way, at least im doing my part of thinking before just asking haha

Since the part is called center ball joint and it looks like a (plus) sign or a star wrench you change tires with, i assume the new plane is to be put into the center of the first revolved part, so i can create the other half because the right plane is not in the center of the part??? does this sound plausible?

thank you

work planes.jpg

• Re: Creating a new work plane
          Dan Pihlaja

This sounds plausible, yes.

If you go forward in the book, does it use that plane anywhere?

Tom Gagnon

Like Dan said, it'll likely be used for something later, either to sketch upon or to pattern about.

First off, if it were up to me, I'd not use dimension constraint, but rather symmetrical constraint to place it in the middle between faces or edges. That way, if length changed, it would stay in the middle. But follow instructions for this exercise anyway. However, if the face or edge was destroyed, it'd cause errors. Dimensions, even an equation or variable computed dimension, from a primary reference plane is highly stable.

I suspect from the name of the lesson, Revolved Parts, and your descriptive text represented in the bleed through image of the back of that page, that the reference plane could be used with another plane (maybe Front?) to create an axis around which to rotate/copy/pattern to create the perpendicular bodies from the first body, then Combine the result.

Matt Thomas

Ok, now that i have been properly educated by Dan and others, I want to get back to my OP.

From what i can tell, I am creating a new(correct and awesome) plane, offsetting it by 1.25 inches, which places it in the center of my revolved part. From here i will copy the sketch from my original part and place it on said new plane.

I think this concept works, but i feel that if i messed up on the sketch somewheres, that i would be HOSED!!

thanks

Matt Thomas

If there was a word to describe my happiness at this very moment and how much i feel relieved that this new part is finished. I do not know if such a word exists haha.

Here it is in all its glory

FINALLY.jpg

John Pesaturo

Good job Matt, way to power through.

J. Mather

I noticed that your Sketch1 is not fully defined.

Attach your *.sldprt file here and I will demonstrate how I would model the part.

The book is going through various techniques so that you become familiar with the program - but make sure that you always fully define your sketches (see attached).  Be sure to follow the book instructions for your assignment rather than my example.

Center Ball Joint.png

Matt Thomas

how do you know its not fully defined? is it the little ( - ) next to it?

all the lines were black, i must have hit ctrl z to many times and lost a dim..

here is the part.

J. Mather

Matt Thomas wrote:

1. how do you know its not fully defined? is it the little ( - ) next to it?

2. all the lines were black,

1. Yes, that is how I knew from only your screen capture.

2. Not in the file that you attached here.

Symmetry.PNG

Use Equal = Relations rather than repeat the dimensions (or Symmetry Relation).

I don't know how the book instructed you, but in general, usually you should avoid sketch fillets an instead add them as Feature Fillets.

Edit:  Also - model with obvious symmetry about the origin, so rather than having the Origin Center Point at the center of one of your spheres - sketch with the origin in the center of the geometry.  This will particularly pay dividends later in Assembly.

Edit 2: Tip - when you see blue points - try dragging them and that will give you a clue about what Relation is missing.  This is the most basic of foundation techniques that every beginner should master before moving to next part.

Matt Thomas

I agree with making the origin my center for the entire geometry. The book had us start the sphere there but gives no reasoning as to why, which is fine:) but I do prefers the origin to be center.

I have my 3d printer working, so I think it's time to print this

Thank you much..