17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2018 2:36 PM by Jesse Powers

Fail to Save Document

Mark Biasotti

This just happened to me yesterday (using SW2018 SP2.) As some of you know, you try to save the SW part file and it gives you this error dialog "Fail to save document". While I was in this state (file in session but cannot save my recent changes to it), I read most of the forum posts on this topic and tried everything that I could: "Save-as" copy, Pack-n'-Go, save as to different directory, removed addin's etc.

I turned of my Windows7 indexing because I have been having issues with it - apart from SW.  In the end, SW won, and I had to kill my session of SolidWorks. and restart. As a result I lost about 3 hours worth of work. BTW, the same file opened, does now save, without this issue... at least for now.

I'm opening this thread to see if anyone else has had success in overcoming this issue recently. This is a bad one, because, first, I cannot reproduce it for and SR-SPR and second, it isn't like something you can submit to your VAR, because when your in this situation, it is all or nothing, if you know what I mean.

Mark

• Re: Fail to Save Document
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Mark,

I can't imagine anything I can suggest that you haven't already tried.  Were you trying to save to a network, and if yes, did you try to save locally?

You said you lost 3 hours of work.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but I can't believe you had worked 3 hours without saving, so did it somehow lose the changes from previous saves?

Glenn

Maha Nadarasa

If I were you:

1. I will check my HD to make sure that there is enough space.
            2. I will try to save other documents to make sure there is no problem with HD (eg: MS Office).
            3. Save SWX files in USB to make sure that SWX is okay.
            4. Uninstall and reinstall the SWX.
            5. Then again I try to save SWX files.

Finally I go to VAR. There are problems unless you get formatted your HD you can’t solve. For example I am not getting email notification of my SWX forum post. I decided to get format my HD.    

Steve Crompton

This is a problem that I've had on and off since 2006. Its quite a fundemantal part of software usage that is allows you to save your changes. I've also had saves not save when this has happened to me.

Very annoying.

Steve

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Did you activate backup and restore option in Solidworks? maybe you have one step previus to fix your problem.

2016 SOLIDWORKS Help - Backup/Recover Options

Josh Brady

There was a time several releases ago that I had this issue frequently.  If I recall correctly, the thing that worked best at the time was a Ctrl-Q rebuild on every configuration.  I think I even wrote a macro at the time to do that.

Mark Biasotti

Nope, no configurations in the part - although I've heard of that being a fix.

Jesse Powers

Off topic, but Ctrl+Shift+Q rebuilds *all* configurations

Josh Brady

Jesse Powers wrote:

Off topic, but Ctrl+Shift+Q rebuilds *all* configurations

Not too off-topic... But I probably didn't type enough in my first post.

The issue with even Ctrl+Shift+Q is that it only force rebuilds the top-level document.  Often (at the time) the "failed to save" would be coming from one of the components, but no indication which one.  Thus the macro, which did a force rebuild of all components at every level of the assembly.  Took a while, but you could go get a cup o' coffee.

Jesse Powers

I see.  I'm not sure if OP had the issue with an assy or a part. 

I was having the issue saving an auto-saved part over the part file in my local folder (because SW crashed when I was rebuilding-- I knew I should've saved before trying to rebuild, but I didn't).  The part was in an assy that I had open, and I added a few configurations to it.  I tried rebuilding all configs in the part and then saving multiple times (to no avail) because I read in another thread that sometimes SW will say it did not save when, actually, it did save. 

I ended up saving the part in a different folder, closing the assy and part, copy-and-replace the saved part over the old part, and then opening the assy again.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John Layne

I've had it occasionally over the years, most recently I think it happened when editing a part in the context of an assembly. As you've noted it's a hard one to reproduce.

Eric Salvo

A similar issue that has been happening to me lately is Windows Explorer suddenly shows "not responding" in the Task Manager when saving in Solidworks. When this happens the latest saved changes are not actually saved, sometimes going back a few saves. Closing and reopening Windows Explorer without closing Solidworks allows me to save again.

As John Layne said, it seems to happen when editing a part in the context of an assembly. Luckily it hasn't happened in a couple weeks though.

Tobias Altmann

I have the same Problem.

The Auto-Save dosn't work too.

One IT-Man think it's a Problem with the Registration from the PC.

Rick Casey

This same problem just started for me today. I updated to SWX 2018 sp05 yesterday. I get the "Failed to save" message at random times when I am not even attempting to save anything.  Also having issues with auto recovered documents.  I have a standalone installation not linked to any server.

Shawn Stugard

I have had this issue in the past. If I remember correctly, it was an issue of me having a Windows Explorer window open and the file I was trying to save was selected. When windows generates a preview of the selected, it locks (temporary read-only) the file. This happens to me all the time when I export PDFs, except I don't get the same error message. I'm now in the habit of deselecting files that I'm working on.

Tony Tieuli

Shawn Stugard wrote:

I have had this issue in the past. If I remember correctly, it was an issue of me having a Windows Explorer window open and the file I was trying to save was selected. When windows generates a preview of the selected, it locks (temporary read-only) the file. This happens to me all the time when I export PDFs, except I don't get the same error message. I'm now in the habit of deselecting files that I'm working on.

I've noticed the same thing. I always try to close any Windows Explorer Windows once I have everything I need opened.