8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 5:16 PM by Matt Thomas

New part creation

Matt Thomas

Hello. First off, thank you all for such a warm welcome on my past posts.

I am back with a question regarding systems options and settings. I am following one of the onboard tutorials, it states to hit the new part button, ctrl(n), or file new. Once that window opens up, hit new part and choose mmgs for it's units and ANSI for dimensions.

This is all great, but when I hit new, I don't have those options. I know if I go under tools,options, I can change the units, but how do I change the dims all at once to be ANSI  rather than changing them one at a time?

I was posting this post last week but when I hit submit, it said server was under maintenance haha, so hopefully this is not a double post

• Re: New part creation
          Mike Lee

Hi Matt,

Go into Options / Document properties / Drafting standard and select ANSI from there.

2018-05-01.png

Here you can make changes if you like and save as a personalised Drafting Standard.

Matt Thomas

Whaaat! I have no idea why I didn't see that. I went through document properties, dimensions, then changed each one 1 by 1 haha.

Now is there an option to turn on that each time I hit new part, that it asks what standard and units I want?

Thank you much. Now it's time to debate between doing the tutorials or following my book. I want to do both but not sure which one first haha.

Oh, this leads me to one other question, is there an educational version of this program?

Dave Bear

Hi Matt,

At the risk of making some assumptions here may I make some suggestions?

Maybe you have already had a look at this and maybe not, but look into setting up your templates in SolidWorks. Once you set these up, all of your parts, assemblies and drawings will automatically be created with the options that you have predetermined once and once only rather than setting options for each individual piece of work. I only mentioned this in case you weren't aware that this could be done.

Dave.

Marc Plensou

Hello Matt Thomas

Yes, there is an educational version 3D CAD | SOLIDWORKS

As Dave says, if you haven't already, then take a look at part templates.

You can create several to your specification with different unit standards, font type/size etc. and you can create your own

custom properties. You can make the properties link to your titleblock in your drawings. It will save you a lot of time in the end.

Glenn Schroeder

As the others have said, if you save templates then you don't need to change your settings every time you start a new file.  See Why aren't the changes I made at Tools > Options > Document Properties saved when I start a new Part? for more information.

Matt Thomas

Thank you. I did not remember about the templates. I'll set some up. Where the clash is, this is for a class and each new part is different units or standard.

Also, the built in tutorial says that when you hit new part, it should give me the option at that window to set unit's and standard, but it is not doing that. I hit new part and it never brings up anycheck boxes or window like the tutorial says it will haha. I have no problem going to tools then options, but when a tutorial says something will happen and it doesn't, it became a wild goes chase for me to find how to change it.

Bare in mind, I have never used solidworks before and or any professional solid program besides some tinkering in autodesk inventor. So when the tutrial said that and my software at the school was not behaving the way the tutorial said it would(most likely other students changing things) I had to spend an extra 20 or so minutes looking and searching...

HOWEVER!!! With that said, I learned ALOT in that 20 minutes. I learned about system properties, document options, how to setup some cool features I like:)

On a side note question. The built in tutorials, they are just a txt file, does solidworks.com have them online for people to download? I would love to put them on my tablet so I can read them while at work or on break.

Thank you all so so much. I 3d printed my first solidworks part today. First time using a 3d printer.

Kevin Chandler

Matt Thomas wrote:

Thank you. I did not remember about the templates. I'll set some up. Where the clash is, this is for a class and each new part is different units or standard.

Also, the built in tutorial says that when you hit new part, it should give me the option at that window to set unit's and standard, but it is not doing that. I hit new part and it never brings up anycheck boxes or window like the tutorial says it will haha. I have no problem going to tools then options, but when a tutorial says something will happen and it doesn't, it became a wild goes chase for me to find how to change it.

Bare in mind, I have never used solidworks before and or any professional solid program besides some tinkering in autodesk inventor. So when the tutrial said that and my software at the school was not behaving the way the tutorial said it would(most likely other students changing things) I had to spend an extra 20 or so minutes looking and searching...

HOWEVER!!! With that said, I learned ALOT in that 20 minutes. I learned about system properties, document options, how to setup some cool features I like:)

On a side note question. The built in tutorials, they are just a txt file, does solidworks.com have them online for people to download? I would love to put them on my tablet so I can read them while at work or on break.

Thank you all so so much. I 3d printed my first solidworks part today. First time using a 3d printer.

I don't believe they are, but you can try these:

SOLIDWORKS Tutorials | Resource Center | SOLIDWORKS

SolidWorks Tutorials – A step by step guide

https://learnsolidworks.com/

Cheers,

Kevin