7 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 3:47 PM by Kevin Chandler

How do you manage outdated parts?

Alex Lachance

We're currently going through the process of standardizing materials and removing duplicates from our system. It got me to the question, have you gone through a similar process? What was the method you used?

What we're doing is removing specific types of steel from our inventory to replace them with a stronger equivalent that costs about the same. Some parts were made in both of those materials so one has to become inactive. We don't always have the time to go through several drawings to replace the part everywhere. What I had in mind is to identify the duplicates with a stamp on the drawing that says something around the line of ''OUTDATED, REPLACE WITH #####(part number)''

I was also wondering if there would be something similar for part/assembly models, or just a quick way to identify outdated/duplicated parts. The stamp on the drawing was something I had in mind but on the part/assembly level, I've had bad experiences with floating notes. Are there other ways to do something similar..?

• Re: How do you manage outdated parts?
          Jim Sculley

A big OBSOLETE - SEE XXXXXX note in the drawing and in the model I extrude the same text as a feature.  I make it large so that anyone who opens the model will quickly see what needs to be replaced and what to replace it with.  I thought this up when I saw multiple users downloading hardware from McMaster Carr that we already had in a single design table driven model file.  I wasn't going to replace and remate to correct their mistakes in every place they used the 'bad' model, so I simply opened their model and added the text so that the next time it was opened, they would have to correct it.

Some companies purposely do not include material on the drawing so they can avoid this sort of thing.  The material is part of the work order.

Alex Lachance

Love the idea of extruding text in the model, that is pretty much what I was looking for!

About the material part, I'm not sure I understand exactly how it would work? We work with steels going from 44W, to 80K, 100K, 145K and 175K so I'm wondering how the guy ordering would determine which material to put there, depending on the part.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Our ordering system is used for that.

The part's replacement, if there is one, is indicated.

Not the "obsolete" part can't be ordered, it just has to be approved as being correct for the situation.

Other than that, old stuff just spins around on the hard drive collecting dust.

Cheers,

Kevin

Alex Lachance

The drawing requires the obsolete part to be replaced with the one that is good too. The ordering only picks up the slack that we might miss in between, it doesn't correct the situation for the next order.

In our case, the drawing generates an order and then there the purchasing manager takes care of sending the parts out, if need be.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Do you have a flowchart of your process?

If not map one out and then I think it will be clearer where to best capture this.

Just typin',

Kevin