8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 9:58 PM by Paul Salvador

Importing multiple obj files, combining

Matthias Buehler

Hi all,

I'm brand new with SolidWorks 2018, evaluating it at the moment.

I'm not yet familiar with parts and assemblies, so please bear with me.

I have a few obj files (each closed and nicely watertight) that I'd like to import and once imported next to each other, combine them into a new solid.

How do I need to load each obj? There's so many settings and a few older tutorials I found that are all a bit confusing.

Any input welcome.

Thanks,

matt

• Re: Importing multiple obj files, combining
          Steven Mills

Not that hard, just 'import' or 'open' it as a normal file. The tricky part is making sure it's how you want it, like it actually being a solid instead of a bunch surfaces. Being at least somewhat familiar with surface tools should help. Also you can force the feature tree to always show a count of how many surface and solid bodies a part has.

After you import a file - Double check the import to see if it's a solid. If not, knit any surfaces into one surface object with no gaps, then fill in to make a solid. If you want to make a true assembly, remember to save each imported part into it's own part file.

In general that is the best advice I can give you.

Matthias Buehler

Hi.

thanks for the inputs.

I made 2 cubes and imported them as 2 parts, then made an assembly. The cubes are deliberatly overlapping as I want to specifically test the result of this.

But I'm now not able to find the combine tool. Are the cubes of the wrong type? Hmm.

Cheers,

m.

overlappingCubes.JPG

Paul Salvador

Hello Matthias,..  odds are, you will have issues with accuracy (ztg) and instability combining using polygon (obj, stl, wrl,..) imports.

***Although, I do not have or use the Mesh tools (Scan to 3D) .. maybe someone can chime in and suggest a way to merged polygon bodies?

Otherwise,.. I'd suggest editing the bodies in a tool specifically for mesh editing before export/import to SW.

...(***)... darn,..looks like you can not do boolean edits with meshes... per the 2018 help. (image attached)

brepno.png

Matthias Buehler

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip & research.

Well, I'm evaluating SolidWorks literally just for doing booleans on imported polygonal meshes (each are watertight). As all other tools on the market cannot do that properly and produce faulty geometries.

Optimally, I would also be able to write a script that batch-processes many files, as I need to repeat the same steps over and over.

Any more inputs of course welcome.

Thanks again!

matt

Steven Mills

The combine tool only works like that on the part level. So for something like that, you would have to import the geometry into a PART file, then combine them there. The screenshot your showing there is an assembly file, with two parts in it.

Also a pro-tip. In the setting for the feature tree you have the option to show or hide the solid and surface 'bodies' feature. Changing these to always show helps keep track of these bodies in parts, and even assemblies when people put features at that level.

Matthias Buehler

Hi Steven,

I have tried importing multiple meshes into one part, but sadly, I was not able to do this. I may have missed a crucial setting.

Importing one box was easy via the 'open' command, but doing this a second time does not give me some sort of option to import into the same part. And I did not see a complete separate import command that allows loading multiple files at the same time.

Maybe you have an input there?

Sorry for the absolute basics, but even the docs did not help me on this, as most tutorials and the docs don't show importing objects consecutively.

Thanks,

matt

Matthias Buehler

Ok I got some help from http://solidsolutions.ch.

They showed me how to do what I need.

Findings:

1] for each obj, file, create a new part, open > load file, then save the part to disk

2] create a new part, then Insert > Part .. and place all the parts separately, save 'complete' part.

3] in my case, all loaded parts are already solids > yay.

4] select all solids, right mouse click on one > combine > add.

5] result is a new solid. Exactly what I needed. > export as e.g. stl or dxf.

Thanks everybody!

matt