1 2 3 First Previous 146 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2018 12:30 PM by Kevin Andrews

Are you making Blueprints?

David Matula

ok google dictionary has it wrong. 

Wikipedia has a better definition.

You see back in the day we used to have to make drawings by hand.  We would start with a pencil and then maybe go over with a pen.  There where no computers and printers.  So when you needed 95 copies of a drawing to send out to the customer and various contractors to be able to bid on a project instead of drawing 95 copies some chemist came up with this blue die crap that would make a blue copy of a drawing leaving all the lines white.  So instead of running one print around to 95 contractors we could now make a copy of the one print and send out a copy to everyone.  So if your are still going threw the process of making blue prints please buy a printer that can print more than 10 pages per minute, or use the save as pdf option on your drawings.  Those chemicals have been found to be kind of messy, to make them blue prints and it takes days to make them.

• 1. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
          Al Griego

And the ammonia stench will kill you. I was working a job in Colorado and had to make blueprints of all of our drawings. I had to take regular breaks, even though the blueprint room was vented to the outside. I'm so glad we have better printers and the ability to make pdf files now!

• 2. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
            Chris Saller

Oh the days of ammonia! I remember splashing the containers while carrying them inside and almost passing out! ;-)

I'm happy those days are gone (but they were memorable).

I don't know of anyone that make blueprints anymore.

BTW, Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

• 3. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
              Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Yes I remember everything Wiki says

1- My First Hand CAD "Paper and Mechanical Pencil"

2-Blueprint

• 4. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                Steve Calvert

Ahhh, the good ole days...

Steve C

• 5. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                  Tom Gagnon

If someone is still making BP's, they either have a significant investment in a large repro system that can't be written off or balanced with reduced health coverage costs, or:

they still order lunch by fax,

they still send meeting invitations by postal mail,

they still only use landlines,

they still have a calculator on their desk,

they still use trace paper,

they still have lead pointers, or at least electric pencil sharpeners,

they still watch tv on the tv's schedule,

they still buy physical media of everything: video, music, software,

they still have a dial up modem to connect this computer (only) to the newfangled Internet.

etc. etc.

Smells are the strongest memories, and that was a strong smell which is very hard to forget.

A wide format printer (technically not a plotter since it doesn't pick up pens to drag across the page) is increasingly affordable in the last 10 years. They usually last about that long too if you're lucky.

However, there is a downside on the big picture. With the ability to produce drawings faster with less attention to detail and parameters, it is exceptionally easy to ignore actual drawing scale. This simply was not the case with physical/chemical reproduction where everything was reproduced exactly 1:1. Printing a PDF to fit to create double margins, or printing D-Size (or A1) content onto 11x17 (or A3), makes drawing scale very simple to misrepresent. Actual data presentation seems to be overlooked in schools since the boards and pens have been replaced with computers and CAD. The computer is a perfect idiot, in that it will do exactly what you tell it, even if user lacks understanding of what parameters are active. Shop workers don't even refer to scale when it is accurate, because they have stopped assuming it is ever accurate. YMMV if standards and skill sets are respected and enforced.

• 6. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                    Maha Nadarasa

I often wonder how people laboured in old days by doing meticulous work by hand.

• 7. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                      David Matula

What I find is how amazing it is that schools still call it blue print reading when not many prints are made that way today.  Now You can go find some old blue prints and maybe they still use them to tech the kids how to read a print.  But the term for a drawing is still called a blue print even when it is not blue.  eeeee   I'm color blind and can see that my prints are not blue anymore.

• 8. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                        Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

It wasn't easy to explain in a view and some sections, transition areas. It was normal going to go to the workshop and explain to the toolmaker what was to be achieved.

They were times where you should stay some part time of the day in the workshop to supervise that what you did it on paper and if it should be in the model or tool

The toolmaker has huge experienced know how, nowadays with knowing how to read a mathematical file is enough.

• 9. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I still remember my first CAD program.

Instead of an erasure shield, I could just toggle a line from continuous to hidden and back again just with a click or two!

Wow!

And to erase without burning the eraser through the mylar coating.

• 10. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                            David Matula

If I had to baby sit someone to make my parts they would not be working for me for long. 

• 11. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                              Al Griego

I worked on maps for Mountain Bell back in 89-90 on drafting tables. That was the only manual drafting I've done. My hand used to cramp doing the text blocks for the telephone equipment. Then after everything was checked and approved, I got to make blueprints of ALL of our drawings. After doing these maps, we were getting a little punch drunk. One of our drafters drew a duck in one of the lakes on his map. Nobody noticed it. Well, at least nobody mentioned it. That was a fun contract.

• 12. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                                Chris Saller

And we had brown lines. I hated using the eradicator chemical to remove the images.

• 13. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                                  Jason Martin

I guess the general public is aware of what that word means and it best describes what we do. If I were to tell someone that I work at an Engineering firm and I make drawings for the shop, they immediately think that I'm a painter. I got confused the first few times from their response. I now just tell people I make Blueprints at my job and they completely understand.

FYI, I tried looking for a better definition of "Blueprint" in the Urban Dictionary website and wow, it does not have a mention of that word in any way I was thinking of... I just wont post the link since its NSFW

• 14. Re: Are you making Blueprints?
                                    Dennis Dohogne

Chris Saller wrote:

And we had brown lines. I hated using the eradicator chemical to remove the images.

Sepias!!  These were perhaps the first editable copies.  And if you had the habit of touching the electric eraser to your tongue to make it work better you quickly found out the sepias were editable, but not edible!  Yuck!

1 2 3 First Previous