4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 3:17 PM by Charles Culp

File References

David Edwards
      I'm trying to change the reference of an assembly drawing to another assembly file. When I choose Open->References it keeps defaulting to a part file and gives me the typical 'can't change file types' error. Funny thing is they are both assembly files. Any clues?
        • File References
          Charles Culp
          are you trying to replace one assembly to another, from a drawing? aka, change the assembly that's shown in a (or all) drawing view(s)? I find that the easiest way to do that is to trick solidworks.

open the old assembly and drawing. resave the assembly to the new file name. then save and close the drawing. then you can use windows explorer to delete the new assembly, and replace it with the new one. then when you reopen the drawing it references the new file.
            • File References
              David Edwards

Charles Culp wrote:

are you trying to replace one assembly to another, from a drawing? aka, change the assembly that's shown in a (or all) drawing view(s)? I find that the easiest way to do that is to trick solidworks.

open the old assembly and drawing. resave the assembly to the new file name. then save and close the drawing. then you can use windows explorer to delete the new assembly, and replace it with the new one. then when you reopen the drawing it references the new file.

This would work had I not already created the other assembly already. I could move assembly1 (and all parts) to a new directory with the drawing and do this but that is time consuming since I already have assembly2 created.
            • File References
              David Edwards
              What I have is 2 assemblies that use the same parts but orientated in a mirrored fashion. I created the first drawing and both assemblies already. I want to replace the assembly1 reference in drawing1 with assembly2 reference then do a saveas for drawing2 with assembly2 reference. This used to be possible in SP4 but fails every time with SP5 (at least it fails with assemblies). The screen to change references keeps defaulting back to part files and won't accept assembly files.
              • File References
                Charles Culp
                yes, I don't disagree. what I typically do is quickly rename assembly 2. (assy2backup.sldasm). then I rename, resave, and delete assy2.sldasm, and rename assy2backup.sldasm back to assy2.sldasm