10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 3:43 PM by Marlon Banta

surface from mesh

Bart Brejcha

I have scanned  STL data and Im using 2018 new mesh tools to try to create a solid.  Specifically Insert 'Surface from Mesh'  At first glance these tools like a bit like Geomagic except I don't see options for compound surface creation.  Maybe I'm missing something?    FYI Mesh BREP bodies (i've never heard of BREP before) start on page 139 on the enhancements for SOLIDWORKS2018.PDF

I'm betting that I'll need some plugin from geomagic (researching now).  My eval of the 'Surface from Mesh' tool is that it only creates/recognizes flat, sphere, cylinder and cones for now.

surfacefrommesh601.jpg

Second Question:  Why would an engineer or designer want to convert a solid body to a mesh?  At a glance it appears that we can scale those geometries for plastic mold design.  .... if someone could comment on their experiences...    I just administered a one week plastic part design class using Solidworks and stumbled upon these tools and I'm intrigued.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

• Re: surface from mesh
          Paul Salvador

Hello Bart,... I do NOT have the Mesh module (I have Standard).. so, I do not know what 2018 added/subtracted from Scan to 3D,.. .. Hopefully someone can help which does have 2018??

..as for BREP bodies,... that's pretty common in all surface/solid and mesh modelers... but, maybe the term being used with SW mesh tools is new?...

Matt Lombard

The future, I'm convinced, is going to see mesh-type tools available in NURBS modelers. Complex shapes are so much easier in mesh modelers, but we still need to engineer parts that use those shapes. Mesh  modeling needs to come to the mechanical engineer's mainstream tools. If a next-generation CAD developer wants to make a successful product, they need to ignore distractions like the cloud and develop mesh tools for NURBS. So much data or tools work with mesh, STL, 3D print, 3dsmax, modo, Zbrush, entertainment industry, even video cards need a similar type of data to just display NURBS models.

It's a slow road. Too slow. There's so much talk about reverse engineering, and this is part of the tool set you're going to need. Scan to mesh to NURBS. I've done this type of work with SolidWorks tools, and it's miserable. It needs to improve.

BREP is actually downstream from NURBS. BREP = boundary representation. NURBS = non- uniform rational B-spline.

Chris Dordoni

Much as the Surface Flatten tool apparently violated the premise that Dassault would not charge more for core modeling tools, additional mesh tools such as subd nurbs are likely to follow a similar path. Subd does exist in the SolidWorks ID focused app, so one could have it now, for a price. And since in my understanding that ID tool does not integrate with the core SolidWorks, the ability to use it with the core SolidWorks will almost certainly be monetized.

Paul Salvador

Chris,.. I believe, from a marketing/sales perspective,.. they have no problem "violating" the user base. 

Chris Dordoni

Well hopefully there will continue to be reasonably priced alternatives for us budget challenged individuals.

Even for corporate users, I think Power Surfacing RE is a much bigger bang for the buck for specific needs, rather than pay extra for Scan to 3D which really doesn't do a great job. Rhino plus Mesh2Surface is another. The cost of these packages is less than the difference between Premium/Pro and Standard.

Fusion360 T-Splines is good, but it can't handle large meshes.

Ravi Shrivastava

Hi Bart,

Although "Brep" is a new term added for Mesh bodies, all standard bodies created in Solidworks (e.g. creating a geometry using extrude feature) are Brep bodies. Brep stands for boundary representation, where faces, vertices, and edges are combined together to represent the external faces (or boundary) of the model. The insides of the model are not represented and it is assumed that inside the boundary, it is a solid or surface.

Beside Standard Solid/Surface brep and graphics bodies, Solidworks 2018 introduces a new Mesh Brep body which are made up of triangular polygons, called facets. These facets can be further grouped into faces to form a brep face however each point on the face of Mesh brep body cannot be determined by a mathematical equation as opposed to standard brep faces where each point can be determined by a mathematical equation. Mesh brep bodies can be solid or surface bodies.

Mesh files which are originated from scanned data or mesh data exported from other modeling software’s can be imported as Mesh brep bodies in Solidworks.

These mesh bodies can be used in Solidworks for measurements (reverse engineering), modification (by adding or removing material), rendering and 3dprinting.

Surface from Mesh feature allows to create a standard surface body from the Brep mesh body or graphics body. However currently it supports planer, cylindrical, spherical and conical surfaces.

The functionality added in Solidworks 2018 for the new Mesh brep geometry is different from Scan to 3D functionality (which is a Solidworks Addin ) and is available in Solidworks Standard.

Currently, there are list of supported features which works on Mesh Brep bodies in Solidworks. However, there are few features which are not supported like cut extrude and in order to add/remove material from mesh brep geometry, the recommended workflow is to create a standard brep geometry and after finishing all the modeling operations convert it into a Mesh brep body (using convert to mesh feature) then use Boolean operations (Add, subtract, Common) to get modified mesh geometry. The same workflow applies for graphics bodies as well.

You can get more information on these body types and mesh modelling procedure describing the need of converting standard bodies to mesh bodies in following link posted by Marlon Banta (Senior manager, Solidworks Product Definition) during Solidworks 2018 beta program:

New Mesh Modeling Functionality in SOLIDWORKS 2018

You can also refer to videos from Solidworks world 2018 presentations.

It would certainly be good to know your feedback on these tools and how we can further improve them to suit your needs.

Ravi Shrivastava

Solidworks Product Definition

Bart Brejcha

Big help Ravi!  We went ahead and purchased the Solidworks Industrial Designer by the way.  All hooked up on the 3d platform and downloading Freeform

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Marlon Banta

Hello,

If you would like to watch the SOLIDWORKS World 2018 presentation related to this new mesh functionality in SOLIDWORKS 2018 please send an email to enhancement@3ds.com with the subject "Mesh Presentation". You will get an email with a link to download the presentation. I would post it to this forum but it is ~1GB. The zip file contains the model files that I used, the presentation slides and a video recording of the presentation. This should better explain the new mesh functionality in SOLIDWORKS 2018.

-Marlon