2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 11:52 AM by Ryan Dark

how can i create a mess in static study? tnks for the reply...

Waymor Carmelotes

how can i solve this problem?

• Re: how can i create a mess in static study? tnks for the reply...
          Alex Burnett

You have given almost no information here to help us understand how to help you. Could you attach your part or provide more detailed information about what your testing and how the simulation is set up?

How can I attach a file to a forum post?

Also, what version of Solidworks are you running? This will help us determine if we can even open your files.

• Re: how can i create a mess in static study? tnks for the reply...
            Ryan Dark

Hi Waymor,

There is not a lot of information to go off of from your image but it does appear that you have turned on "Large Displacement Mode".  This could either mean that 1) your study is not stable and some bodies are undergoing rigid body motions, or 2) you are bending the model with such a large deformation that even "Large Displacement Mode" is not able to solve.

The next step is to determine if a body is not attached to the greater structure and undergoing rigid body motion by doing the following:

1. Go into the study 'Properties'

Turn on 'Use soft springs to stabilize model'

Turn off 'Compute free body forces'

Turn off 'Large displacement mode'

2. Suppress all loads and apply only 'Gravity'

3. Mesh/Run the study

4. When the solver stops (if it stops) due to large displacements and prompts to put the study into 'Large Displacement mode' declined this offer.  The solver will dump what results it has so far

5. Inspect the displacement plot in the results to find the unrestrained body

For any body that is unconstrained you would need to create explicit 'Contact Sets' in order to bond these unrestrained bodies to the rest of your structure.  This video (GoEngineer - Simulation: Common Errors in Simulation Webinar) and this document (GoEngineer - Simulation: Diagnose Unstable Studies) give more detail study instability.

If you do not find any bodies then it is likely that the loading being applied to the model is causing a displacement too large for the solver to accommodate.  Static study does not have any solver setting to overcome this.  With a Static study failing "Large Displacement Mode" you would need the Nonlinear solver to proceed.