Move tree is ideal, but unfortunately professional only.
Beyond this, cut and paste of all the relevant files might be the way to go.
Iain McEwen wrote:
>>Beyond this, cut and paste of all the relevant files might be the way to go.<<
But surely that would break all the assembly references?
Hi John, if the files that you are moving (and all referenced and referencing files) are checked in, then PDM updates the references for you.
¿What about opening the assembly again with SolidWorks?
We are about 30-35 people using Solidworks and EPDM. We have a lot of assemblies, with subassemblies and parts. We create parts in the directory PDM/Project01/studies and when the part is OK we move the part to PDM/Parts. After the movement of the parts, if other user opens the assembly, the part appears supressed because Soldiworks cannot find it...
Wayman, it doesn't really break the references it just misplaces them because the assembly doesn't get updated with the new location.
You have to open the assembly find the missing files and then save.
One thing to remember is that in order to be able to cut and paste the user has to have delete permissions in the folder and in any state the file was in previously. For instance if you have states like WIP and Controlled and the files are read-only in controlled the user will not be able to cut/paste any file that transitioned through controlled some time in the past. You have to give them delete permissions on the controlled state.
The history of the file is maintained during a cut and paste.
Here is an example of a test assembly I have in the vault.
I cut the axle file from the dump truck folder and pasted it into a different training folder.
For the record this example is using SW and SWPDM 2017.
Original file history:
History after the cut/paste - notice the move line at the top:
It appears that in this situation the assembly knew where to find the axle without a find part dialog or without suppressing the file.
Let me do it again using the Move Tree function in SWPDM Pro.
Another update to the history:
This time it again opened everything just fine.
That makes me wonder why I was having all the problems in the past. Maybe it was with an older version of SolidWorks. Or maybe it was because they were actual project files instead of training files.
Also, it still allows me to get an old version of the file.
Hope that didn't just proceed to make mud out of the topic.