6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 2:57 PM by Paul Wyndham

PDM Standard - How best to move assembly from one folder to another

John Wayman

We are pretty new to the world of Solidworks PDM Standard, so we are still establishing our ways of working and best practices.

Currently, there is a folder in the vault called 'Work In Progress' and each engineer has a folder under that folder, named with his own name. So, mine is Work In Progress/John Wayman.

Within his own WIP folder, each engineer does his development work, calling his SW objects whatever name he thinks appropriate: widget 1, bracket, bent, green, glass window 320 x 255, for example.

When the top level assembly for the project is settled, he renames the bits and pieces with the appropriate part numbers, renames the assembly to the correct name and checks everything in. One of his peers checks everything and releases the SW objects.

Now we need to move the released assembly and all its sub-assemblies, parts, drawings, cut lists, and sundry referenced items into the correct project folder, leaving the dross behind.

In PDM Professional, I hear there is a 'Move Tree' option that enables the engineer to do exactly what I have explained.

Sadly, in PDM Standard, there is no such option.

How should I achieve this move?

Should my working practices be modified to facilitate the eventual move somehow?

How is everyone else achieving this approximate workflow?

SW 2017 SP5,

SW PDM Standard 2018, SP2

Windows 10 Pro

Thanks,

John

• Re: PDM Standard - How best to move assembly from one folder to another
          Iain McEwen

Move tree is ideal, but unfortunately professional only.

Beyond this, cut and paste of all the relevant files might be the way to go.

Paul Wyndham

Wayman, it doesn't really break the references it just misplaces them because the assembly doesn't get updated with the new location.

You have to open the assembly find the missing files and then save.

One thing to remember is that in order to be able to cut and paste the user has to have delete permissions in the folder and in any state the file was in previously. For instance if you have states like WIP and Controlled and the files are read-only in controlled the user will not be able to cut/paste any file that transitioned through controlled some time in the past. You have to give them delete permissions on the controlled state.

The history of the file is maintained during a cut and paste.

Here is an example of a test assembly I have in the vault.

I cut the axle file from the dump truck folder and pasted it into a different training folder.

For the record this example is using SW and SWPDM 2017.

Original file history:

History after the cut/paste - notice the move line at the top:

It appears that in this situation the assembly knew where to find the axle without a find part dialog or without suppressing the file.

Let me do it again using the Move Tree function in SWPDM Pro.

Another update to the history:

This time it again opened everything just fine.

That makes me wonder why I was having all the problems in the past. Maybe it was with an older version of SolidWorks. Or maybe it was because they were actual project files instead of training files.

Also, it still allows me to get an old version of the file.

Hope that didn't just proceed to make mud out of the topic.

Paul Wyndham

Just realized the question was about moving an assembly and I moved a part.

Let me try again.

Select dump truck assembly right click and cut.

Switch folders and paste.

Opening assembly from new folder:

Everything appears to be ok