17 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 8:13 AM by Dave Bear

    incontext sketching

    Frank Ahenny

      Hi,

       

      Is it possible to have  auto rotate view normal to sketch for in context sketching, currently I have to hit normal to after starting the sketch

       

      Thanks

        • Re: incontext sketching
          Tony Tieuli

          Franci Connolly wrote:

           

          Hi,

           

          Is it possible to have auto rotate view normal to sketch for in context sketching, currently I have to hit normal to after starting the sketch

           

          Thanks

          I'm not quite sure what you mean by in context sketching but check to see if you have the indicated option checked.

           

          auto rotate sketch.png

          • Re: incontext sketching
            Jody Holm

            Auto-rotate does not work anywhere if you are just making a sketch (Like your title and the Solidworks option implies).

            It only works if you are creating a feature. Doesn't work if you are making a hole either. Drives me nuts, but...we press on

            with the tools we have.

              • Re: incontext sketching
                Tony Tieuli

                Jody Holm wrote:

                 

                Auto-rotate does not work anywhere if you are just making a sketch (Like your title and the Solidworks option implies).

                It only works if you are creating a feature. Doesn't work if you are making a hole either. Drives me nuts, but...we press on

                with the tools we have.

                I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that.

                If you have the option I showed above checked Auto-Rotate does work on sketch creation in part mode.

                  • Re: incontext sketching
                    Jody Holm

                    Really? Make a protrusion. Now, select SKETCH, then LINE. Next, select your sketch plane. The thing should rotate, mine does not.

                    I get the same result when using the hole wizard.

                    Now, when I select PROTRUSION, then Sketch Plane, it does work.

                      • Re: incontext sketching
                        Tony Tieuli

                        Jody Holm wrote:

                         

                        Really? Make a protrusion. Now, select SKETCH, then LINE. Next, select your sketch plane. The thing should rotate, mine does not.

                        I get the same result when using the hole wizard.

                        Now, when I select PROTRUSION, then Sketch Plane, it does work.

                        Well of course not. It rotates on sketch creation. If you don't select your sketch plane first, how does it know where to rotate?

                          • Re: incontext sketching
                            Jody Holm

                            Do it as I and Solidworks say, follow the Solidworks prompts. Solidworks does not ask you to select a plane until after you select

                            your line type. And,,as I said earlier...it does not rotate.

                              • Re: incontext sketching
                                Dave Bear

                                Jody Holm wrote:

                                 

                                Do it as I and Solidworks say, follow the Solidworks prompts. Solidworks does not ask you to select a plane until after you select

                                your line type. And,,as I said earlier...it does not rotate.

                                Ummmmm,

                                 

                                I must be confused because I get rotate no problem. The difference just might be the selection process as I do NOT follow your sequence.

                                I select my plane and (right click sketch), then my tool (line, circle, spline etc.) and away I go................ I get rotate just like Tony said.

                                 

                                Just out of curiosity, where did you get the prompts from SolidWorks to select sketch, line and then plane?

                                 

                                Dave.

                                • Re: incontext sketching
                                  Tony Tieuli

                                  Jody Holm wrote:

                                   

                                  Do it as I and Solidworks say, follow the Solidworks prompts. Solidworks does not ask you to select a plane until after you select

                                  your line type. And,,as I said earlier...it does not rotate.

                                  OK, Jody. Have it your way. Go ahead and create your sketch without selecting a sketch plane first. Since SWX auto rotates on sketch creation you're right it won't auto rotate. So go ahead and use your process and lose that functionality. But you'll be right and I see that's important to you.