17 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 8:13 AM by Dave Bear

incontext sketching

Frank Ahenny

Hi,

Is it possible to have  auto rotate view normal to sketch for in context sketching, currently I have to hit normal to after starting the sketch

Thanks

• Re: incontext sketching
          Tony Tieuli

Franci Connolly wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to have auto rotate view normal to sketch for in context sketching, currently I have to hit normal to after starting the sketch

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean by in context sketching but check to see if you have the indicated option checked.

auto rotate sketch.png

Jody Holm

Auto-rotate does not work anywhere if you are just making a sketch (Like your title and the Solidworks option implies).

It only works if you are creating a feature. Doesn't work if you are making a hole either. Drives me nuts, but...we press on

with the tools we have.

Tony Tieuli

Jody Holm wrote:

Auto-rotate does not work anywhere if you are just making a sketch (Like your title and the Solidworks option implies).

It only works if you are creating a feature. Doesn't work if you are making a hole either. Drives me nuts, but...we press on

with the tools we have.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that.

If you have the option I showed above checked Auto-Rotate does work on sketch creation in part mode.

Jody Holm

Really? Make a protrusion. Now, select SKETCH, then LINE. Next, select your sketch plane. The thing should rotate, mine does not.

I get the same result when using the hole wizard.

Now, when I select PROTRUSION, then Sketch Plane, it does work.

Tony Tieuli

Jody Holm wrote:

Really? Make a protrusion. Now, select SKETCH, then LINE. Next, select your sketch plane. The thing should rotate, mine does not.

I get the same result when using the hole wizard.

Now, when I select PROTRUSION, then Sketch Plane, it does work.

Well of course not. It rotates on sketch creation. If you don't select your sketch plane first, how does it know where to rotate?

Jody Holm

Do it as I and Solidworks say, follow the Solidworks prompts. Solidworks does not ask you to select a plane until after you select

your line type. And,,as I said earlier...it does not rotate.

Dave Bear

Jody Holm wrote:

Do it as I and Solidworks say, follow the Solidworks prompts. Solidworks does not ask you to select a plane until after you select

Ummmmm,

I must be confused because I get rotate no problem. The difference just might be the selection process as I do NOT follow your sequence.

I select my plane and (right click sketch), then my tool (line, circle, spline etc.) and away I go................ I get rotate just like Tony said.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the prompts from SolidWorks to select sketch, line and then plane?

Dave.

Tony Tieuli

Jody Holm wrote:

OK, Jody. Have it your way. Go ahead and create your sketch without selecting a sketch plane first. Since SWX auto rotates on sketch creation you're right it won't auto rotate. So go ahead and use your process and lose that functionality. But you'll be right and I see that's important to you.