8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 3:29 PM by Jake Uyeda

Sweeping a Curve

Jake Uyeda

Hey everyone,

I want to get this open loop to follow the pink edge to the end points.

How would I go about doing this?  I keep getting a rebuild error error.

• Re: Sweeping a Curve
          Paul Salvador

Hello Jake,.. unfortunately your profile Sketch12 or 18 will not make that tight of a turn around that Sketch14 / 21 path...

...so, as a alternative.. maybe do a Boundary? (image attached)

bndy 1.png

Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

Your selection of sweep profile and path is not correct. You can't make a solid sweep with an open countor, it requires thickness for a body to be performed. Also Sketch12 is not a good path, program don't know where to start and end sweep command.

Dan Pihlaja

Did you want something like this?  See SW 2017 part attached.

Steps that I did:

1) Extrude bottom of tab down to top of surface:

2) Create a boundary surface using just the top portion of your sketch.  (might have been able to finish it using this step, but I did it quickly.....maybe you can play with it.)

3) Extrude the boundary surface in the y-axis and capped the end and knitted the result (which created a solid body) (I was expecting to be able to merge solids, but I think that option went away because I had previously created the extrude without the cap and then came back and modified it).

4) Combine the two bodies (probably could have done without this step if I hadn't previously created the extrude without the cap).

Paul Salvador

Hey Dan,.. nice!...

I'll add another way... using a Boundary Surface and two Replace Faces..

mm.png

Dan Pihlaja

Thanks Paul.....I just wanted to say (sorry for hijacking the thread), that creating things like the picture below has created in me an appreciation for the surfacing tools in Solidworks.  Also, I do want to give the kudos where they belong.....I have learned a heck of a lot from you Paul about how surfacing in Solidworks works!

Paul Salvador

Hey Dan,.. heck no, I saw your response as more help.. I hate being the ONLY one responding.. it helps having another perspective or what I usually try to add (could be interpreted as a hijack?).

and, sure, you're welcome... I see stuff you do as well and it makes me try something new and anyone who says they know everything about this software is dreaming..  I mean, there are hidden workarounds which sadly not many of share (not because we intend too).. but some are special circumstances which are not always relevant or easy to remember/share... 

Jake Uyeda

Hey Dan, no worries it is always cool to see other ways of doing things.  I still need to work on my surfacing skills.  Thanks as always for the help!