AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relation defined out of context

Question asked by Scott Leacox on Apr 27, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 by Kevin Chandler

I am seeing an error that states "Relation defined out of context" within an assembly driven sheet metal part.

My goal is to take the offset of a plane in the assembly, and use that distance as a variable inside a part.

I created the link this way:

1. Create global variable in assembly from dimension that positions plane

2. Create global variable inside the part = to the variable inside the assembly.

When the assembly is open or if I am editing the part inside the context of the assembly, no errors.

But of the part is open on it's own, that's when I see the error.

Down the road, the part will be it's own draft. I need the draft to update from changes to the plane in the assembly. I assume the error would prevent me from doing that.

Is there a solution to this? My current work around would be to add a sketch inside the part that measures the relative position of two assembly planes and use that instead of the link from the assembly global variable.

The reason I don't like the work around is I have many parts in the same boat for the one assembly. To me it makes more sense to have one assembly global variable the drives many parts rather than add a new raw sketch and dimension inside many parts.

Outcomes