7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 3:49 PM by Jay Maechtlen

understanding configs and views on drawing

Jay Maechtlen

Sorry, can't think of better title!

I'm creating a series of exploded views of a large assembly, with BOM, for a service manual.

I've been given an assembly which contains the actual product assembly and its model/parts.  The 'real thing' is read-only to me, only all my exploded views and such are in this containing assembly.

I am using configurations to contain different views and visibilities of the project - each configuration may show a major subassembly with various exploded views and possibly derived configurations, etc.

This seems to mostly work pretty well, but to the first specific question:

If I want to put more than one view on a drawing sheet, those may be to different 'configurations', even though they all go back to the same model and its config.

I find that the balloons may not link to the geometry/part that they 'should'.

As a clue, I can see that some of these have the dashed line close to the visible part of the assembly, and some are much larger.

(don't know the term for that, but each placed view.)

So, any pointers as to keep these straight? And what determines the size that the placed view occupies?

• Re: understanding configs and views on drawing
          Jay Maechtlen

Ok, looks like those dashed lines are "view boundaries", and the issue may be 'focus' when placing balloons.

Why would the view boundaries extend so far beyond the assembly - does it have to do with exploded views contained in the config, even if they are not actively shown?

Kevin Chandler

Jay Maechtlen wrote:

Sorry, can't think of better title!

I'm creating a series of exploded views of a large assembly, with BOM, for a service manual.

I've been given an assembly which contains the actual product assembly and its model/parts. The 'real thing' is read-only to me, only all my exploded views and such are in this containing assembly.

I am using configurations to contain different views and visibilities of the project - each configuration may show a major subassembly with various exploded views and possibly derived configurations, etc.

This seems to mostly work pretty well, but to the first specific question:

If I want to put more than one view on a drawing sheet, those may be to different 'configurations', even though they all go back to the same model and its config.

I find that the balloons may not link to the geometry/part that they 'should'. (see #1)

As a clue, I can see that some of these have the dashed line close to the visible part (see #3) of the assembly, and some are much larger.

(don't know the term for that, but each placed view.)

So, any pointers as to keep these straight? And what determines the size that the placed view occupies? (see #2)

Hello,

1. Right-click a view and edit its properties. There you will find a dropdown box to select a BOM to link the view to.
              Once you do link to a BOM, existing and new balloons will sync with the selected BOM.
            2. If a view occupies too much drawing space, you can do a crop view to remove some of the surrounding whitespace w/o having to crop out content.
              1. You can also change the view scale, but that generally won't help w/excess whitespace.
            3. Not sure what what you're saying here, so if you can, post some screen shots (including feature tree/property managers in the shot.

Cheers,

Kevin

Glenn Schroeder

If all you're using configurations for is to hide components I'd like to suggest you use Display States to create your drawing views instead.  That should result in smaller files, and won't cause issues with suppressed mates like configurations can.  You should also have fewer issues with balloons, since BOM's are linked to a specific Assembly configuration.

Jay Maechtlen

Thanks - I had played with display states, but I was pointed to configurations.

- I see where I can select the display state for a view.

I see there's a checkmark to 'link display states to configurations'.

Regarding the BOM - I had exported and printed it - and the live version no longer matches.

I hadn't expected that, have to understand what's happening. (can't find a couple of fasteners in the design tree now)

back later...