6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 2:09 PM by Todd Blacksher

Is there a way to sweep a profile to follow two paths?

Jeff Biss

Hello,

I need to produce a web routing diagram and can't see how to force a profile (Sketch17) to follow two 3D lines (3DSketch5) such that it produces the appropriate sweep, a twist in this case, by default. In the attached file I fudged this by using the Twist control in Sweep Options, but this is not the same as having the profile 'ride' the two lines to ensure model accuracy. In this case, the web guides are at right angles to each other, but this may not always be the case and generating the web route part in place guarantees that the web will route correctly.

• Re: Is there a way to sweep a profile to follow two paths?
          Todd Blacksher

Give this a shot -

I created a new 3DSketch for the sweep path, and another one for the guide curve path.

(I did the majority of the loop in one shot, just using lines & 3 point arcs referencing your existing geometry)

I made a new profile sketch (I only did this so that I could hide everything that was already there.)

The big trick for me was to set Profile Orientation to "Follow Path" and Profile Twist to "Follow Path and First Guide Curve"

Hope this gives you a few ideas,

todd

Jeff Biss

Todd,

Sorry to say, but I can't open your file as I have 2017 and you must have 2018.

Todd Blacksher

aw crud, I was afraid that might happen (when I saw that I didn't identify the SWX release on my sample file.)

Here is a little more detail about what I did:

Start a brand new 3DSketch (I referenced all of your existing sketches for my new 3DSketch)

I just used lines & 3 point arcs to work my way from one end of the part to the other - this gives it a single, continuous path.

Start another new 3DSketch for the other side of the tape.

(You will use one sketch for the path of the sweep, and the other sketch for a guide curve.)

You can use your existing profile sketch, or you can create a new one, either way, it is very important that you tie this sketch to the newly created 3DSketches - as Roland said, use the pierce relationship.

As you can see in the image below, I did it with a single sweep - profile sketch, 3DSketch for path, 3DSketch for guide curve.

It is a tricky one when it comes to the sweep settings, but just follow the info in my previous post.

todd

EDIT: Attached the file saved as a parasolid

Roland Schwarz

The key to using a guide curve to twist a sweep is using the pierce constraint on the section sketch. You need a pierce constraint to tell the section sketch how it connects to the guide curve.

Jeff Biss

Roland,

Thanks for the reminder of pierce! I think that one of my problems is that I created piece-wise 2D sketches that are connected with 3D lines. So, I can create the entire path via a number of discrete sweeps and what I want to do, to have the profile 'ride' the entire path won't work. I would need to think carefully of the desired path and then create it in one 3D sketch. When I have the time, I will experiment with this idea.

Dennis Dohogne

Jeff Biss wrote:

I can create the entire path via a number of discrete sweeps and what I want to do, to have the profile 'ride' the entire path won't work. I would need to think carefully of the desired path and then create it in one 3D sketch. When I have the time, I will experiment with this idea.

You can create your segments of the path in the 2D sketches and then convert those segments in your 3D sketch.  Alternatively you can create a spline in the 3D sketch by clicking on the segments of the 2D sketches.