15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 8:03 AM by Rick Freeman

Sketch won't stop dimensioning

Rick Freeman

Sketch seems to be more difficult than earlier SW's versions.  Can't even select a sketch line without a dimension dialog opening every time.  I know about filters, but one shouldn't have to turn on all the filters except dimension just to select and move a line.  Is there an easier way?

• Re: Sketch won't stop dimensioning
          John Lhuillier

Check your options & see if you have the item circled toggled onOFF.JPG

Glenn Schroeder

Rick Freeman wrote:

Sketch seems to be more difficult than earlier SW's versions. Can't even select a sketch line without a dimension dialog opening every time. I know about filters, but one shouldn't have to turn on all the filters except dimension just to select and move a line. Is there an easier way?

It sounds like you're saying that the Smart Dimension tool is opening up on its own, without any input from you, when you aren't in any command.  Is that the case?

Mike Lee

Hi Rick, can you provide a screen shot of the issue you are having? It would help us to workout a solution for you.

Rick Freeman

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I may have found the problem.  I can't see any dimensions because Solidworks is calling for Century Gothic fonts, and those don't come with Windows.  Thus, no dimensions appear at all.  This affects the whole way sketch dimensioning works.  So...................I've tried downloading Century Gothic, but Windows says they are invalid fonts.  So where does one go to get a valid font without paying of course.  And why does SW's even use a non supplied Font?  And lastly, how do I tell the system to use a different font without doing it by hand in every document? (it's not a permanent system option).  THANKS!!!

Tony Tieuli

Rick Freeman wrote:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may have found the problem. I can't see any dimensions because Solidworks is calling for Century Gothic fonts, and those don't come with Windows. Thus, no dimensions appear at all. This affects the whole way sketch dimensioning works. So...................I've tried downloading Century Gothic, but Windows says they are invalid fonts. So where does one go to get a valid font without paying of course. And why does SW's even use a non supplied Font? And lastly, how do I tell the system to use a different font without doing it by hand in every document? (it's not a permanent system option). THANKS!!!

I'm running Windows 7 and Century Gothic is installed in my system.

Which version of Windows are you running?

You can also use a different font.

Start a new part, change your dimension font then save that part as a template.

Hope this helps.

Steve Calvert

So wait!  What's the problem again????

Are you having troubles sketching and don't want to see the dimension dialog box pop up for each entity?

OR

Are you having troubles seeing the fonts because you don't have them loaded?

I'm confused...

Dan Pihlaja can you do a movie (since you do them so well) showing a sketch with the 'enable on screen input' turned on and draw a few lines without entering any numbers?  I would but I don't have a movie tool on my PC

Steve C

John Lhuillier

Here's a link to download the century gothic font if you need it. I'm shocked as well that it's not on your system. I've never installed one on any of the computers we've purchased either. I downloaded this & it asked if I wanted to reinstall it. Also are you not getting prompted that it the font is not available would you like to replace it. If not you should be. You may need to check in the options & messages & make sure that the one for the font not available is not in the list & if it is turn that back on to promp you.

Download Free Font Century Gothic

Rick Freeman

Thanks for the link.  Yesterday I found the Century Gothic font here:  Century Gothic Font Family Free Download   the button to actually download it is hidden in bloatware downloads, but it is there.  Next is the mystery of actually installing it.  You unzip it (to current location) and nothing happens.  You'd think in this day and age it would auto-install or something.  No, you have to double click the ttf file in the group.  And the file type not even listed as an application, so who would know that installs it?  Maybe a desktop publishing nerd.  Some other nice people on here have helped, and asked questions.  Like, didn't SW's warm me the font wasn't there?  No, it didn't.  It just made sketch behave improperly.  A warning would have saved me a lot of time.  To the person who suggested I save a different font as a "new file template", yes.  I thought of that as a workaround.  But I still wanted to find out how to get Century Gothic on my system (Win10).  I wonder how many other people have faced this in frustration and just gave up.

Jim Sculley

Rick Freeman wrote:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may have found the problem. I can't see any dimensions because Solidworks is calling for Century Gothic fonts, and those don't come with Windows. Thus, no dimensions appear at all. This affects the whole way sketch dimensioning works.

This has happened before.  Century Gothic comes with MS Office and other applications.  Try a repair on your office installation to see if it comes back.