7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 1:37 PM by Joel Schmidt

Change origin

Zoe Crist
      I have created an LP tank in a horizontal postion and now I want to change it and make it stand up vertically.. Is there a way to change the origin(?).. Did I explain myself :-) ?
        • Change origin
          Deepak Gupta
          Zoe,

If there are not much features then you can change the sketch planes. Second option will be to use Move/copy option under Insert > Features. third option is to create a new co ordinate system . Save your part with taking this new co ordinate system as the default system.
          • Change origin
            Zoe Crist
            Thank you so much.. Being a new user I will follow your recommendations. I hope you dont mind, that if i get lost, I can ask you for more details or step by step.. Again thank you very much and i will give it a go
            • Change origin
              Deepak Gupta
              No problem Zoe. We all here to help each other.
                • Change origin
                  Zoe Crist
                  I am a bit lost.. can you please walk me through this a bit.
                    • Change origin
                      Eddie Cyganik

Zoe,

Deepak' suggestions can be used if you feel you really need to change the orientation. Between you & me, I would only be concerned if you got off on the wrong foot and the orientation is counter intuitive or the orientation inhibits your design process.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that you not worry about the orientation of how a single model is created but rather concentrate on orientation and position when components are assembled.

As an example, you may down load a simple component such as a Socket Head Cap Screw and depending on who created it, a front view may reveal a vertical axis with the head up top. Or it may be created with the head at the bottom or the axis may run horizontal but in any case, it does not matter. In the end, a SHCS may be assembled vertically, horizontally, normal, left to right, right to left or at any angle, ...so, who cares!
                      • Change origin
                        Peter Biggert
                        Zoe,
                        If you really want to change from a horizontal to a vertical orientation (or have the option to do so) then when you create your sketches use "Parallel" and "Perpendicular" relations instead of "Horizontal" and "Vertical". This lets you change the orientation of one line (I usually use a centerline) and the other lines follow. Since the default geometric constraints added are "Horizontal" and "Vertical" you may have a lot of lines to change. But once done it is easy to change from horizontal to vertical or something inbetween.