36 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2018 4:44 PM by Rick Becker

Im not understanding what relations are

Matt Thomas

Ello all. New student here:)

Today is my first day ever using solid works. I am a full time engineering student taking a 50 hour lab course for solid works. I am following the following publication:

SolidWorks 2015 Part 1 - Basic Tools By: Paul Tran

I am on chapter 3, my first sketch. Where i am having an issue, the book does not really explain what auto relations are. I understand to a point what relations are, IE, if i select 4 horizontal lines, set one line to a specific dimm, then the other 3 will follow.

But what are auto relations? My drawing has about 15 of these little boxes that show verticle or horizontal lines.

thanks

• Re: Im not understanding what relations are
          J. Mather

Vertical or Horizontal - cannot be changed.  Is what it is.  (and Tangent, and Co-linear, and Concentric.. ...basic geometry)

Where is your instructor?

Can you attach your *.sldprt file here?

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Perhaps you know this already, but on the SW Help menu, select the tutorials menu.

Pick one and work through it. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

There's many avenues that will get you to the same destination, but the tutorials will let you work at your own pace and you can pick up some terminology along the way.

Good luck,

Kevin

P.S.: Remember when things are going a little funky on the SW comprehension, that everyone else in here has been in your spot.

So persevere.

Search the forum too. Much knowledge is on store here (click the magnifying glass in the upper right).

Glenn Schroeder

I haven't read through all the responses, so maybe this has been addressed, but you specifically asked about auto relations.  This is just relations that are applied automatically as you're sketching, without being specifically added manually.  For example, you might have noticed that when you're placing a line, it will jump (or snap) to horizontal or vertical when you get close.  If you click to place the line while it's snapped then the relation is applied.

If you don't want them added, then turn off various options at Tools > Options > System Options > Sketch > Relations/Snaps.  Or you can hold down Ctrl while placing sketch entities to temporarily disable snapping.

M. D.

Nice answer Glenn.  Wow everyone else beat around the bush for some reason and don't want to answer his question.

To sum it up:

Auto relations are relations between two aspects of your sketch that are applied automatically.  So for example if you start a circle to the right of a line endpoint, if you do it right there will be an "auto relation" that the circle is going to be horizontal from the endpoint of the line.  So lets say you want to do this, get the circle drawing tool, then hover the mouse over your line endpoint for a sec then start moving the mouse to the right.  You should see a dotted line forming if you have the auto relation.

Many other things like this.  Auto relations aren't terribly important though.  Most of the time you will want to select the line endpoint and ctrl select the circle centerpoint, then on the left side of the screen click the box "horizontal" to put in a manual relation.

J. Mather

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

...Auto relations aren't terribly important though. ...

????

I think I will stick to auto relations as the most efficient technique.

You can "scrub" geometry to get them.

Otherwise I think I will use the heads-up that appears next to my cursor rather than heading all the way over to the side of the screen.

Matt Thomas

Oh, I think I know wht your are speaking of. Google sketchup pro does the same thing. It infers where a line, or object is in RELATION to another object. So if I wanted a circle on the top plane to be drawn but it's center needed to match up with a point somewhere on a plane below it, I would hover over said point to align my center circle with it. That's how I would do it in sketchup pro.

Ps

By all means, I am not z pro at Google sketchup. I made a food cart and a table. That's it

Thanks

What are these tutorials you speak of?

Paul Risley

Matt Thomas wrote:

Oh, I think I know wht your are speaking of. Google sketchup pro does the same thing. It infers where a line, or object is in RELATION to another object. So if I wanted a circle on the top plane to be drawn but it's center needed to match up with a point somewhere on a plane below it, I would hover over said point to align my center circle with it. That's how I would do it in sketchup pro.

Ps

By all means, I am not z pro at Google sketchup. I made a food cart and a table. That's it

Thanks

Capture.JPG

On 2018 the startup menu click the learn tab. At the bottom is where you will find the tutorials.

These are there to walk you through the different functions of the software.

Dan Pihlaja

Matt Thomas  wrote:

OR

Kevin Chandler

Matt Thomas wrote:

Ps

Thanks

Tom dunn

Matt, go to the help on the top of your solidworks screen second item down is "solidworks tutorials" select it and this pops up below. Solidworks 2017 screen

Todd Blacksher

Not to add too much to an already crowded post which has somewhat covered your question . . .

You used perfect terminology when you stated that Google Sketchup "infers" - SOLIDWORKS does the same thing.

It is basically saying "It looks like you are drawing a horizontal line" and can automatically add a relationship.

The VERY IMPORTANT part that nobody has mentioned yet is to pay attention to the cursor feedback as you are sketching.

If the little square with the symbol next to the cursor is yellow, the relation will be automatically added.

If the little square with the symbol next to the cursor is WHITE, the relation will be "inferred", but will NOT be automatically added.

There is a wealth of information displayed at the cursor, learn to watch it, learn what the symbols mean, and you will be miles ahead of your classmates in no time.

todd

Matt Thomas

Thank you:) I will read up on the information supplied by the mouse pointer.

I bet one of those tutorials has it. I go into class tomorrow and will Check it out. Maybe I'll spend some time doing those tutorials before I jump back into the book. I have 4 weeks to get the book done haha. My goal is to take the cswa in a couple of months the after I finished my 100 hours.

First month is 50 hours then another 50 and then final project.

Final is you bring in a complicated part, make it, and print it. So I am bringing in a paintball gun magazine haha.

Thanks