35 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 12:25 PM by Chris Saller

CAD drawings

Maha Nadarasa

In job ad it is said “Candidate must able to produce CAD drawings”. What is meant by CAD drawings? Does it mean SWX drawing or AutoCAD drawing? 

• Re: CAD drawings
          Jim Steinmeyer

Could be either, or Inventor or PRO...... Several options. I think they want someone familiar with the process, or the ad writer is an HR person who is totally unaware that there is a difference. Ask in the interview.

Solid Air

What else did the ad state.  In my world a CAD is a type of drawing used by our customers to identify replacement parts.

Dave Bear

If you have email or phone details for the company just make a courtesy contact with them enquiring about the position stating that you are very keen and interested and therefore would just like to know what software they are using as your current skillset is in SolidWorks. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It never hurts to ask Maha.

Be proactive rather than reactive!

Dave.

Maha Nadarasa

No phone number, no email address only a link through Job seeking website.

2018-04-23_21-17-57.png

Dave Bear

If you start the application without submitting it does it give you anymore info about who or where they are?

Dave.

Maha Nadarasa

Some companies have website and career section. This company does not have a one but from the google search I can get telephone number or email address but those are for business purposes. In the past I did such a way but I didn’t get any reply email.   

Jim Steinmeyer

If you meet the other qualifications and are able to produce usable CAD drawings in SolidWorks that contain all of the information and are understandable I would suggest you apply. When I got out of school I had one semester of AutoCAD but no 3D experience. Since then I have used Pro-E, Inventor and SolidWorks. Knowing how to use one you can pick up any of the others with a little effort. Making the drawing understandable is a big part of everything.

Tony Tieuli

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

2018-04-23_20-42-00.png

It seems they want you to design the product, produce the drawings, produce the CNC programs to machine / fabricate the product, oversee the assembly of the product, inspect the product, and troubleshoot the product. I'm surprised they don't require you to deliver the product.

It actually sounds like a very interesting job. Good Luck!

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Er...Beware slavery was abolished by 1800, unless you pay a lot of money I think you were abusing everything you should do. Holly Cow! they almost asking to you to make some coffee and masages to your chief!

Good luck pal!

Jim Steinmeyer

Ruben Rodolfo Balderrama wrote:

Er...Beware slavery was abolished by 1800, unless you pay a lot of money I think you were abusing everything you should do. Holly Cow! they almost asking to you to make some coffee and masages to your chief!

Good luck pal!

Ruben

Actually in smaller companies this is a very typical job requirement. Often the engineering department consists of only a couple of people who need to be able to cover all of the tasks that arise. I once was an engineering manager where I had 2 part time "engineers", one still in high school and one over 80 who still did most of his work in AutoCAD and I then remodeled it. My third guy in the department doubled as the CNC programmer and the warranty manager and did design work in his spare time.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

I understand what said to me, but it is something that will be in detrimental to the salaries of Senior designers, I started doing product design, then manufacturing engineering, industrial plant design, Piping, pressure vessels, tooling, molds, welding devices In the last company, they told me that you are perfect! but you should also do CNC, I said thank you very much....I will not apply.

The reasons, simple all mentioned is know how that's you don't do that in a few seconds or hours nor weeks, they are years of learning so that they don't value that, If you want to a good senior designer you must pay for it.

Paul Risley

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

2018-04-23_20-42-00.png

From an employers standpoint this reads as such:

Designer/engineer.

Production oversight

Detailer

Programmer

Project management

Inspection

Oversight of all operations pertaining to the project an its parts assemblies.

Lastly 5 years experience.

Minus the programming portion this is what my role is in my company along with oversight of other designers.

Maha knowing that you are still new to design you could apply for this position, but in all honesty the job posting with the above breakdown plus the experience they are looking for I would say you are going to be over your head in a short period of time.

This is no sleight against you, but I have seen first hand people taking on these kinds of roles where they wear multiple hats and just get their butts handed to them.

All of that aside I would still try and contact them, just because this is the job they are posting they might have a need for a newer designer to free up someone on staff already that could fill this position. You never know unless you try.

Either way good luck, and if you do get an interview ask as many questions as you can. Knowing what you are getting into is one of the best pieces of advice  I can give anyone looking at starting a new job/career.

Paul Risley

As an adder to this conversation and in answer to the original question.

There are companies that only use CAM software, so this could be a smaller company with limited software buying power that went that route.

We have some pre-2005 assemblies that only exist as CAM models here, our owner is more comfortable with Gibbs cam than Solidworks.

Dave Bear

I would take it in it's general abbreviated term of "CAD" Computer Aided Design, but obviously it's going to help if you were to know what software the company is using.

Dave.

Timothy Taby

Sounds like they want a candidate to produce drawings, since they don't specify the software they most likely just want experience with producing drawings using a computer design program.  Usually if they want specific experience they will ask for it in the ad. 

When I got my first job I only had Autocad experience, but the company used CadKey and Pro-E, so I got trained on them after I was hired.  When I went to my next job they used Solidworks there, so I got trained on that as well.  The basics are pretty much the same no mater what software you use.  The end drawings should come out similar because the standards don't change from one package to another, a 3 view drawing is a 3 view drawing no matter what you used to model it.

Maha Nadarasa

I can say you are very lucky because even though you didn’t have a specific experience you were hired. Nowadays companies are becoming more and more specific and they want a person with specific skill.   

Timothy Taby

Your skills is the ability to design a part and make the drawings, what software package you use is your tool to do that.  If you go in to an interview and project confidence that you can do the design work for them then the software shouldn't be to much of an issue.  When I interviewed for the job I have now I showed them some sample models and drawings I did of a large assembly, sort of like an artist does with their portfolio.  I showed them that I could handle a large project, do the design work, and produce the drawings they wanted,

Like I said above,once you know one package you can pretty much learn the others fairly easily, they all pretty much do the same stuff, just the buttons are a bit differn't.

Maha Nadarasa

"When I interviewed for the job I have now I showed them some sample models and drawings I did of a large assembly......"

It is a good idea.

-Did you take laptop with you or you took USB stick with you and showed in their computer?

-Was that sample model and drawing built up from your creation? There are YouTube videos that is only showing the photo of the model. You have to give you own dimension and build up the model.

Timothy Taby

I took in paper copies, I printed some detailed drawings and some screen shots of an assembly I did.  I had done a side job working on a large air conditioner unit that had around 300 parts in it and I got permission from the owner of the company I did it for to show them.  You could always make an assembly and detail some parts, just to show what you can do.  Visual aids tend to be impressive to people.

Dennis Dohogne

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

"When I interviewed for the job I have now I showed them some sample models and drawings I did of a large assembly......"

It is a good idea.

-Did you take laptop with you or you took USB stick with you and showed in their computer?

-Was that sample model and drawing built up from your creation? There are YouTube videos that is only showing the photo of the model. You have to give you own dimension and build up the model.

Take the laptop.  The opportunity may present itself for you to demonstrate your computer skills, particularly with some sample SWX files, including parts, assemblies and drawings.  It could easily distinguish you from all the rest.

Glenn Schroeder

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

It is a good idea.

Due to getting a virus from a student's external hard drive, I won't plug a USB stick into my computer if it's been in someone else's.  I don't know about other people.

Dennis Dohogne

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

It is a good idea.

Due to getting a virus from a student's external hard drive, I won't plug a USB stick into my computer if it's been in someone else's. I don't know about other people.

That's a very good point, and all the more reason to take your own computer in.

Maha Nadarasa

When I used my USB stick in my class, when I again used it in my computer first I scanned that USB stick for any virus. Because I read somewhere using your own USB stick in other computer can be a risky.

Dennis Dohogne

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

When I used my USB stick in my class, when I again used it in my computer first I scanned that USB stick for any virus.

The company you interview with has no reason to trust you nor trust that your scan was adequate!  Frankly they would be foolish to trust that.  Don't even give a situation a chance for an argument!  If you can bring in your own computer then do that.  You can have the USB stick in your pocket, but it will likely stay there.

Dan Pihlaja

A "CAD Drawing" is any drawing that is created using CAD software.  CAD is defined here: Computer-aided design - Wikipedia

Roland Schwarz

It only means what they think it means. Nothing we say can clarify that.

S. Casale

As a designer I have a portfolio.When I first started I modeled up simple things I reverse engineered to show my skills to couple with my experience (prior to design). I wouldn't suggest using items that you have found online with tutorials...

Maybe you should make a portfolio. Clean. Make it your own. There are thousands of examples online. Make a portfolio in a nicely bound book.

Give it a nice Cover. Make sure the cover says your name.

Keep it small, 8.5" x 11"

High quality prints.

Define these portfolio images by application and use, do so in simple enough terms to define what it is and why, without giving away proprietary info.

Get recommendations. Put the recommendations in the back of the portfolio.

Do not give away your portfolio.

J. Mather

S. Casale wrote:

Make a portfolio in a nicely bound book...

I have had students get interviews on other side of the country based on ePortfolios.

Even if the interviewer does not see the Portfolio, the process of creating a Portfolio in itself is an aide in preparing what the candidate wants to emphasize about their qualifications during the interview process.

Tony Cantrell

Computer Aided Drawing

Christian Chu

Usually it's ref. to the the cad package in the ads

Chris Saller

If I didn't know what "CAD Drawings" were, I wouldn't apply.