1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 1:40 PM by Dennis Dohogne

Global variable, Pi and link question

S. Leacox

I have two questions about using global variables.

1. Is Pi build into Solid Works? In Solid Edge is was = Pi()

2. How do you select other variables to insert into equations after the first one in a formula? So for example X=Y@part1*Z@part2

I can select X@part one and it shows up and works, but for Z@part2, I have to type in the full variable name manually.

• Re: Global variable, Pi and link question
          Dennis Dohogne

S. Leacox wrote:

I have two questions about using global variables.

1. Is Pi build into Solid Works? In Solid Edge is was = Pi()

2. How do you select other variables to insert into equations after the first one in a formula? So for example X=Y@part1*Z@part2

I can select X@part one and it shows up and works, but for Z@part2, I have to type in the full variable name manually.

1. Yes.  Try it.  I just put in pi and all is good.  See below.

2. I don't know if you are using X, Y, and Z as examples for this discussion or if you are renaming dimensions.  I HIGHLY recommend naming ANY dimension that is used in an equation.  As to your question regarding showing dimensions, if you select the Dimension View you will be able to see all the dimensions there.  Also, in your model you can go to the top level toolbar and select View ==> Hide/Show ==> Dimension Names.

However, these are pretty basic questions so I suspect you are new to using Equations.  Respectfully I suggest you click on the Help on the right side of the dialogue box and peruse all that you can do with Equations  in SWX.