19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 11:49 AM by Tony Tieuli

default values

Steve Labonte

is there anyway to set my default values for chamfer or fillet feature to be something other than .3973700 i'd like it to be .125

• Re:  default values
          Dan Pihlaja

I just re-read your post....I am deleting that last reply.  *sigh*

Oh, you mean the default values when you CREATE a fillet or chamfer.

Well, I believe that this takes the number from here:

Tony Tieuli

Steve Labonte wrote:

is there anyway to set my default values for chamfer or fillet feature to be something other than .3973700 i'd like it to be .125

I just did an experiment.

I started a new part, did a simple extrusion then started the chamfer command and put a .125 chamfer on the part.

I then deleted the extrusion and saved the part as a part template (.prtdot).

When I started a new part with that template, the chamfer was set to .125.

Hope this helps!

Steve Labonte

I have tried that but I will try it again I do know spin box value controls boss extrude, cut extrude values

Steve Labonte

it worked that time. I've probably done that 10 times this time I just saved the template with the part in it reopened deleted part and saved template again

Tony Tieuli

Steve Labonte wrote:

it worked that time. I've probably done that 10 times this time I just saved the template with the part in it reopened deleted part and saved template again

I'm glad it worked for you.

Edit:

Whoops! Extended the experiment. Closed SWX, restarted, started a new part with that same template, chamfer was back to .3937.

Thought we had it.

Steve Labonte

shut sw down, restart back to what it was

Jim Wilkinson

Steve Labonte wrote:

EDITS: I have edited this post based on further research since how this all works has changed over time and I was stirring things up in my memory from earlier releases. So, I've reworded this post to clarify.

You shouldn't have to save your templates to store default values.

Here is default values are supposed to work:

The default values for the initial use of SOLIDWORKS are supposed to be a nice round number independent of your units. To do this, the values are derived from the values in Tools, Options, increments. However, after initial usage of any command, the last used value is supposed to be stored in the windows registry, not in the document templates. Each time you use the fillet or chamfer command for instance, it should store the last value that you used in the registry and use that value as the default value the next time the dialog is used.

However, there are some cases where this is either not implemented or implemented incorrectly. Chamfer appears to be one of these cases. The chamfer command doesn't seem to be properly storing the value in the registry, but instead, it is only stored in memory, hence why it loses the value when exiting and restarting SOLIDWORKS. And, there also appears to be a problem with the value interaction between the fillet and chamfer commands. So, in summary:

• Chamfer default value only uses last used value when the session is running; it resets to 0.3937 when you exit and restart SOLIDWORKS.
                          • If in a new session, if you bring up the fillet command, the default is the last used value from the fillet command. But if you bring up the chamfer command and hit cancel, then bring up the fillet command, the default value of the fillet also gets set to 0.3937.

These are considered bugs and I would suggest submitting this to your reseller so they can get an SPR assigned to it.

You may wonder where 0.3937 comes from. Well, internally all values are stored in metric because Parasolid, the modeling kernel used in SOLIDWORKS uses metric. The metric is then converted to the document or particular dimension units. If you multiple 0.3937 by 25.4 (inches to millimeters conversion), you get 10 which is the default value used for millimeters for fillets/chamfers. So, using certain sequences in the dialog (probably related to canceling), it is failing to use the registry values or default English unit values and instead is using unit conversions from 10mm.

Thanks,

Jim

Tony Tieuli

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Steve Labonte wrote:

Note that the increments in Tools, Options have no affect on the default values but only on what happens when using increments to to change the value. And, actually, you shouldn't have to save your templates.

Here is how it works:

In most cases, the default values in dialogs come from the SOLIDWORKS section of the Windows registry, not from the document templates. Each time you use the fillet or chamfer command, it should store the last value that you used in the registry and use that value as the default value the next time the dialog is used.

I say in most cases because the first time the command is run, there is no data in the registry, so it uses a hard coded value. The hard coded value is supposed to be a nice round number in either metric or English units. However, in playing around a bit just now, I've found that in certain cases, it is a round number to start with, but under certain conditions it switches to 0.3937... I can get this to reproduce if I cancel out of the command or switch between the fillet and chamfer commands with canceling out of one of them. This shouldn't happen and is a bug.

And you may wonder where 0.3937 comes from. Well, internally all values are stored in metric because Parasolid, the modeling kernel used in SOLIDWORKS uses metric. The metric is then converted to the document or particular dimension units. If you multiple 0.3937 by 25.4 (inches to millimeters conversion), you get 10 which is the default value used for millimeters for fillets/chamfers. So, using certain sequences in the dialog (probably related to canceling), it is failing to use the registry values or default English unit values ans instead is using unit conversions from 10mm.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

So should one of us submit an enhancement request or is that unnecessary because you already know it's a bug?

Jim Wilkinson

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Hi Jim,

So should one of us submit an enhancement request or is that unnecessary because you already know it's a bug?

See my updated post. It is a bug and hence should be reported through ones reseller to get an SPR#.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Pihlaja

Jim Wilkinson , watch the attached video.  This proves that (at least initially, and for fillets [edit]), it comes directly from the spin box increments.

SW 2017 SP5