16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 2:22 PM by Jeremy Feist

Reposition a Dimension

Scott Giffin

Good morning all,

This dimension is the across the flats of the hex so as you can see I need it moved to the indicated position. I don't usually have any trouble moving a dimension like this because typically I get a handle which allows me to easily reposition a dimension as needed. For some reason this one is missing the handle when I select the dimension. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try to reposition this driving dimension?

Text Position.JPG

• Re: Reposition a Dimension
          Glenn Schroeder

Delete it and insert a dimension where you want with the Smart Dimension tool?

Scott Giffin

I have a lot of beginners using my prints as templates. We have just a few different geometric shapes but a ton of different sizes of each. I'm creating them with the dimensions on the sheet driving the 3D model. It takes more forethought but making a new part is quicker and easier. I don't dimension anything on the sheet. I just bring them into the sheet from the model complete with tolerances all at once using the "Model items" button then adjust the positions a little and I'm done.

With that being said, this solution is exactly what I did! LOL...

Dan Pihlaja

It looks like that dimension is actually to the circle that is part of the polygon sketch tool.  Is it possible that the underlying sketch was shown and the dimension was placed to that instead of actually to the hex flats?

If that is the case, you might need to delete and recreate. (you might be able to get away with grabbing the handles and dragging hem where you want them to be, but I doubt it).

Scott Giffin

Hi Dan,

No that's not the case. I created the hex by revolving the profile at the across the hex as a diameter. Then created a plane at the center of the flange diameter and projected that diameter to the plane. Then I drew the hex as circumscribed and made it's diameter cordial to the projected circle.

Dan Pihlaja

Yes, but I am asking if the specific dimension in question is attached to the circle that is in the sketch for the hex (or, now that you mention it, the circle that you made the hex co-radial with)?  It must be since you brought in the dimensions from 3D.

If that is the case, then I would say that Shaodun Lin's method might work for you.   If not, then you might have to delete and re-create in this particular case or go back to the model and re-position it there.

Scott Giffin

That's how I can usually move the dimension. The screenshot I took shows that grip to be missing in this case. Here is a screenshot of the profile used to create the across the flats hex dimension as a revolved profile.

Revolved Profile.JPG

And here is a screenshot of that diameter being projected onto the plane and being used to extrude the hex up to the R17.5 surface.

Extruded Hex.JPG

I hope that explains it a little better. I just want you guys to know how much I appreciate all the help you've been giving me! Thanks a lot.

David Matula

darn 30 min to try and move a dim to the right place.  If it don't look right delete and put it in the right place and move on. 

modeling for drawings is important that you make sure you dim the model the right placing the dims that you intend to use in the right places.

Shaodun Lin

Like this?

capture-2.gif

capture-2.gif

Dan Pihlaja

Shaodun Lin wrote:

Like this?

capture-2.gif

I think that this only works if you have dimensioned to a circle (is this correct?).  Which the OP may have actually done in this case.

Scott Giffin

Yes that's how I usually do it but as you can see in my screenshot, the grip to move the selected dimension is nonexistent on my dimension. I'm sure there is a logical reason for it. I'm determined to figure out what that reason is!

Jeremy Feist

that is because your original dimension is a linear dimension, not a diameter shown as linear.

if you still want the model item dim in the drawing, I see 2 options;

1. rotate your hex sketch to align the flats to the dimension.

2. change the sketch plane of your revolve to line up the dimension with the flats.

Scott Giffin

Thanks Jeremy! That's the answer that makes the most sense. I'll need to do some testing to prove it when time permits. The bad news is that neither of your options will work in this case. Choice 1 would turn the hex so it would show the profile across the flats where the minimum wrenching height wouldn't show up to be able to dimension. (They don't want an extra view!) These guys are stuck in their AutoCAD ways. Not the Engineers using Solidworks but the people on the floor using the prints. Hundreds (actually thousands) of prints all done the same way with no chance of changing now. And choice 2... I've already been down this road and ended up needing the plane where it is now. There is a solution to this situation but I'm too busy to work on it any more right now. I'll get back to it as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for all the input. You guys are the best!