39 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 1:14 PM by David Matula

I give up.

Mike Hodson

My company recently switched from Inventor to Solidworks.  

I was excited, as I thought Solidworks was a "better" program.  After all, it's much more widely used than Inventor. 

Inventor has it's issues, and our reseller was trying to screw us over....so it made sense to switch.

But in the first couple months....it seems that Solidworks is absolutely full of bugs and quirks that exist to make my life a living hell.   I've never been so frustrated on a daily and ongoing basis.

Just one example....

I can't print to my primary PDF creator because it ignores text in Solidworks.    I tried another one that I have, and this is what I found.....

I give up.JPG

I give up. 

• Re: I give up.
          Ryan Navarro

Do you absolutely have to print to PDF?

SOLIDWORKS lets you do a Save As -> PDF for drawings which has pretty much always given me better quality output than a PDF print driver.

There are some options that can be adjusted for the PDF export as well

If you must use the PDF printer for other reasons then hopefully others can chime in with advice

Mike Hodson

I have been experimenting with various PDF options. 

Save as, is usually the best option, but it has a bad habit of randomly blocking out shaded view items.

Tom Gagnon

I agree with Save As instead of Print. It seems like it should be doing the same thing, but it is not.

A couple years ago I submitted a bug, in which linetypes and lineweights from layer definitions were not carried through to the PDF results using Print. Workaround was to use Save_As instead. Since then (using only Save As), the only issues I've had were from users without certified video card drivers, where tiny portions of a view would be superimposed much larger across the rest of the drawing.

So, if Save_As is producing random bad results, verify your video card driver version is certified using Solidworks Rx diagnostics.

Mike Hodson

Unfortunately I've got a GForce card, which isn't supported.   Good card with good performance, but could it really be causing issues like this? 

Paul Salvador

hmm?.. have not heard that one... maybe Tom Gagnon  has a spr or link which verifies a connection between graphics/pdf issues?

Glenn Schroeder

Mike Hodson wrote:

Unfortunately I've got a GForce card, which isn't supported. Good card with good performance, but could it really be causing issues like this?

I've never used one, but I've seen some pretty strange stuff here posted by people running graphics cards that aren't supported by Solidworks.

Tom Gagnon

Mike Hodson wrote:

Unfortunately I've got a GForce card, which isn't supported. Good card with good performance, but could it really be causing issues like this?

GeForce cards, even with otherwise acceptable performance, could really be causing just about any issue like this:

UI errors, view errors, drawing errors, output (PDF) errors, choppy laggy performance, input errors, and more.. which doesn't even begin to cover the graphics-intensive Add-Ins of PV360, Simulations, Motion, Composer, or Visualize.

No, I do not have an SPR that verifies correlation of PDF and graphics drivers. Repeatable problem fixed for my users repeatedly is how I know that. However, verifying a certified graphics card driver is usually the very first suggestion for just about any unexpected or unintended behavior, because it's usually true and leads to a gamer card revelation. I am lazy, but I'm not just jumping to a lazy conclusion here. There are many many posts here about unsupported graphics cards where IT personnel have purchased adequate cash value for your PC and haven't paid a lick of attention to the actual requirements (because they'd actually have to follow a link and interact instead of just reading from a list). Just search for GeForce (check and apply spelling for best results) here and you will find many vexed individuals whose company has not understood the needs, has not read the requirements, has provided user with inappropriate cash value in hardware, and now are not going to either admit they were wrong or make a new purchase to remediate their error.

BITING SCARCASM:

My company knows everything and would not have set me up for failure like this. The problem must be with the software. This new stuff sucks. Learning sucks. Get me back to my old software. I can't be wrong, so blame others and everything indiscriminately.

I'm venting here personally about perceived historical patterns, not immediately directed at you personally:

Seriously, if ever there's an oversimplified response for someone who (typically that is, as I'm not assuming upon your reaction here) neither listens to collective responses nor reads requirements prior to purchases, it is this: You're Doing It Wrong.

I do apologize wholeheartedly that you have definitively unsupported hardware, even if it appears to perform adequately otherwise.

Clearly, it is a common enough thing which regular users here have encountered more times than it is relevant to recall. I'd pull hairs out if I had any left.

Dennis Dohogne

Tom made me think of something for you to try, Mike Hodson.  You can go into System Options ==> Performance and near the bottom is a checkbox for Use software OpenGL.  For this box to be available to check you need SWX open with no other SWX files open.  Check that box then open the files such as the drawing in your original post.  If the problem goes away with this OpenGL checked then it is almost certainly a problem caused by the graphics card.  It my not be a solution, but it can at least be a better diagnostic tool.

Paul Salvador

you're kidding right?,..  otherwise,... since there is no proof, that is, it's a myth,.. then we can all assume and vaguely suggest,... ALL SW Certified Graphics Cards equally have problems using PDF's and other related stuff.

C'mon.. over the many years, using both cert and non-cert cards and per/driver and SW versions/sp's... they ALL have some issue... but I have not experienced a graphic related issue per a saved PDF.... unless you are saving a screen shot and converting it to PDF?

John Burrill

One way to be sure, turn on Software OpenGL (With no documents loaded go to Options: system Options and check this box:)

If Saveas produces a PDF without errors, your video card is the problem.

M. D.

For starters always use last years Solidworks.  Usually takes until SP4 for most of the bugs to get worked out.  I don't know about print to pdf but save as pdf always works for me like the above poster.

From what I have gleaned Inventor, SW, NX, and ProE are all on roughly the same caliber nowadays and are all widely used.

Paul Salvador

Hello Mike,...  adding to Ryan's suggestion.. Save As PDF works very good.... and I use to really like PDF Creator..  and have tried others which do just as well... so, have you tried another PDF Printer Software (Primo, Bull, Cute, Nitro,..)?   The paid one which was very good was Bluebeam...

Otherwise.. the Font issue... I not sure what's going on there.. someone hopefully has a answer?

Dennis Bacon

Not sure if this will correct your issue but did on a past post where someone was using 2016. I remember it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out. How do I stop my fraction line from printing so thick?   Vinculum

Roland Schwarz

Your problem likely stems from your SW settings, not your PDF app. Somewhere deep in the bowels of your SW options is an option to control the thickness of your fraction line. Find it, and you will find eternal joy.

David Matula

I have found that having a full version of adobe to be helpful when printing pdf's  The thing is to have all the fonts. 

if this is the worst bug that you have to deal with I can see how frustrating that it can be as printing is still a big part of the job.

Some of the other bugs and speedy systems can be picked up with training.  The var should have pushed a sale on the basics training class to get everyone up to speed, on basics of the program to a specialized training for how you would need to use the program to get you a great and reliable workflow.  To enhance your knowledge read how people solve problems here and see if you can find a user group meeting to attend. 

Jim Sculley

This was reported as fixed in SW2016 SP1:

What version are you using?

S. Casale

You gave up pretty quick, if this is what gets you do towel it up.

Mike Hodson

I've been using Autodesk products professionally for 25 years.   They certainly have their fair share of issues, but I've discovered more bugs and quirky problems in Solidworks, during my first two months of use, than I have in two decades of Autodesk. 

I account a lot of it to user error/ignorance, which is why I come to these forums for advice.   But more and more, I'm seeing that my issues are common problems that people are having to work around....or they are just chalking it up to Solidworks being Solidworks. 

I expected better.   Maybe my expectations where too high.

S. Casale

Interesting. I've used AD prod.'s for 1/3 the time I've used SW prod.'s. I noticed the amount of work it took to get the tools to do what SW prod.'s can do is ridiculous in comparison. SW is more logical and user friendly in every way. (mind it's been a few years).

Although AD Revit <- that program is unparralleled.

Alex Lachance

I wasn't taught Inventor at school because my teachers ranked it as an outdated program. I had never worked with Inventor before until about 3 weeks ago when I went to some other company to try and help them. Working with it for a week gave me nightmares, I don't even know where to begin..

From my point of view, they both have their specific application for different workplaces.

Mike Hodson

I've been using Inventor for 4+ years (AutoCAD before that). 

I fully agree that Solidworks is, in many ways, a better and more powerful tool...at least for the industrial design type stuff that I do. 

I'm just so baffled that it still has so many bugs & quirks. 

Fraction lines appearing thick, but only in PDF prints?

Every time I add a new view to a sheet in a multi sheet drawing, it expands the tree for every single sheet.

Printing an exploded view with color (shaded view) and various pieces don't show up or print without color.

Cursor going busy every time I even get near the title block (boundary of title block table).

The list goes on and on.

For issues that I can't solve here, in help, or with Google fu....I turn to my VAR.   More often than not, the VAR has had to escalate/report the issues to Solidworks. 

I just want to get back to work....and not spend hours trying to figure out why my fractions won't print properly.

S. Casale

The fun-ness of SolidWorks is that it's not just a tool to throw a model onto a sheet of paper with three views and maybe an isometric. SW offer a parametric and very versatile way for its users to be able to fully model, configure, control, simulate, and present work in the clearest, most legible manner.

Some of your issues may best be understood by what SW means when you use Configurations and Display States. I suggest you hop up on some of the tutorials in the RH TASKPANE > SOLIDWORKS RESOURCES.

You will find that your reseller for SW is easier to deal with. SW actually listens to it's re-sellers and customers. SW doesn't threaten to not allow customers to use their software if they aren't on maintenance or subscription. And, SolidWorks is clear to what is offers over and over and over. SW won't discontinue support on a product it offers without letting its users know - more than years in advance. SW even offers one stand alone license for every network seat. AD would bill you for just looking at the screen if it could.

Mike Hodson

I definitely agree with most of this.   Our VAR has been responsive and helpful, while our Autodesk reseller out and out screwed us over.  And yes, I've come to dislike Autodesk as a company, for various reasons over the last few years (maybe a result of it being bought by an investment firm). 

But to be fair, Autodesk seemed to be fair with it's user license and we were allowed to install on different machines for the same user. 

Also, they give their products freely to students.  Maybe that is a sneaky marketing campaign, but SW doesn't give anything away.  Apparently they won't even give out a demo until you are a firm lead to purchase.

Jim Sculley

Mike Hodson wrote:

Fraction lines appearing thick, but only in PDF prints?

In a version of SW that is now 11 releases old.  Unless you are seeing this is something later than 2016 SP0.  You haven't stated what version and service pack you are using.

Every time I add a new view to a sheet in a multi sheet drawing, it expands the tree for every single sheet.

Yep, it does seem to do that.  Well, it expands to show the Sheet format and drawing views.  It doesn't go any deeper on my machine (SW2016 SP2).  I've been using SW for 20+ years, and I don't think I ever noticed that.  But that's because I very rarely use the feature tree for anything in drawings.  On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the most productivity killing, the feature tree expanding in a drawing ranks at about -15.  What are you doing in the feature tree in drawings that makes this such a serious issue for you?  Perhaps someone can suggest an alternate workflow that avoids the problem and may be more productive  as well.

Printing an exploded view with color (shaded view) and various pieces don't show up or print without color.

Believe it or not, printing is one of the most complicated tasks in software. Hundreds of printers with dozens of drivers on multiple operating systems. The number of permutations is staggering.  It should work, however. If it were a systemic problem, there would have been a lot of posts and SPRs about it.  I'm not seeing those when I search the Knowledge Base and I don't recall it being mentioned here (unlike the fraction thing which was discovered quickly after SW2016 was released and corrected in the fist service pack).  Can you provide more details?  Printing a drawing or a model?  Printing to an actual printer or a PDF?  Printing a simple assembly or a complex assembly?  What OS?  What printer model?  What version and service pack of SOLIDWORKS?

S. Casale

Jim Sculley wrote:

What are you doing in the feature tree in drawings that makes this such a serious issue for you?

When I last avidly used Inventor, Inventor didn't offer nearly as many options with RMB or selection clicking, but rather relied heavily on going over to what we know as the feature tree.

Mike Hodson

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I usually start with version.  I'm using 2018 with SP 2.0.

Admittedly, the drawing tree flying open is only an annoyance.  But it does hinder me.  For example, when inserting views into a later sheet, say 8+, the current sheet and it's views (in the tree) are pushed off the screen.   Sure, I can scroll to it or hit Shift+C to collapse the whole tree....but why?  And now that I've noticed it, It's like a thorn in my side and I have to Shift+C every time I look over there. 

As for printing...sure, it's a complicated process.  But I would expect a professional package like Solidworks to have it handled better than this.   I've been using Autodesk products for 25 years and printing problems were few and far between...and usually easy to solve.  SW printing problems seem much more mysterious and require workarounds rather than an adjustment to settings.

Dan Golthing

Mike,

you need to realize that SolidWorks only brings in like $4 billion annually, so they're running a pretty thin line to try to repair all the issues all the while adding amazing improvements like colorless icons and mid-point snap.  Fricken awesome if you ask me, and I only have to invest around $2500 USD annually for the privileged.

Paul Salvador

..yeah,.. every time I see a new feature I think of this movie scene..

200.gif

Paul Risley

Dan Golthing wrote:

Mike,

you need to realize that SolidWorks only brings in like $4 billion annually, so they're running a pretty thin line to try to repair all the issues all the while adding amazing improvements like colorless icons and mid-point snap. Fricken awesome if you ask me, and I only have to invest around $2500 USD annually for the privileged.

These were enhancements for the colorblind designer who made only symmetric parts.

Chris Saller

I wouldn't give up.

I suggest having your VAR help you setup your system and have training.