38 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 10:36 AM by Ian Farquharson

Rename a part  file name

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Is it any macro available to rename a part and its references?

I found this example, but its for Assembly only.

2016 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Rename Components and Save Assembly Example (VBA)  

I need to rename a part with Macro.

Thanks

• Re: Rename a part  file name
          Abilash V.

Hi Prabaharan,

Can u explain your scenario?

So you have the part files in a folder and wanted to rename it automatically ,is it?

Abilash

Deepak Gupta

Have you tried using Pack and Go (both API and directly from File menu)?

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Very often we are going to do rename a part. In this Scenario its really difficult to use Pack and Go

Thanks for your replay

Abilash V.

Hi Prabhaharan

The following macro will rename the file and ll delete the old file.

This works for the currently opened active file.

Regards

Abilash

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Thanks for your reply. But this would remove the link between part and Drawing.

Is is possible to update the link?

Thanks

Abilash V.

Hi,

Pack and go API is a better way to maintain the references so that can be used to code your requirement in the way you desire.

2015 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Pack and Go an Assembly (VBA)

Regards

Abilash

Abilash V.

For the opened file you could do as such in manual pack and go Method to rename the file name.

All the references are preserved.

Regards

Abilash

Abilash V.

1.Open the drawing and select "SaveAs"

2.Select "Include all referenced documents" and click advanced

3.Now give away suitable name either for Part or Drawing.

Regards

Abilash

Abilash V.

Kindly check the following macro

Regards

Abilash

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

May I know which one?

Abilash V.

I have attached a macro.

While running it will ask for Folder path.Copy/Paste the location path where the files must be saved.

As well as enter the file name with which the files has been renamed with.

If you have any clarification reach me.

Regards

Abilash

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Thanks. Will check and let you know

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Hi Abilash,

Really Thanks for your effort.

This Pack and go macro creating new files with new names.

But I want to replace the same files with new name in assembly and drawings.

I think I should use document manager api.

I do have a licence for that.

Is any one able to help me with Document manger API here?

Thanks

Deepak Gupta

Prabaharan Pichaiyan wrote:

But I want to replace the same files with new name in assembly and drawings.

You can also use ReplaceReferencedDocument method (which does not need SWDM)

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Thanks Deepak

I'm working on it. will let you the outcome.

Thanks

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Hi

In Pack and go macro is Flatten folder option is not working. Is there any other mistake I'm doing?

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModelDoc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swModelDocExt As SldWorks.ModelDocExtension

Dim swPackAndGo As SldWorks.PackAndGo

Dim openFile As String

Dim pgFileNames As Variant

Dim pgFileStatus As Variant

Dim pgGetFileNames As Variant

Dim pgDocumentStatus As Variant

Dim status As Boolean

Dim warnings As Long

Dim errors As Long

Dim i As Long

Dim namesCount As Long

Dim myPath As String

Dim statuses As Variant

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModelDoc = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swModelDocExt = swModelDoc.Extension

Set swPackAndGo = swModelDocExt.GetPackAndGo

' Get Pack and Go object

Debug.Print "Pack and Go"

' Get number of documents in assembly

namesCount = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentNamesCount

Debug.Print "  Number of model documents: " & namesCount

' Include any drawings, SOLIDWORKS Simulation results, and SOLIDWORKS Toolbox components

swPackAndGo.IncludeDrawings = True

Debug.Print "  Include drawings: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeDrawings

swPackAndGo.IncludeSimulationResults = False

Debug.Print "  Include SOLIDWORKS Simulation results: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeSimulationResults

swPackAndGo.IncludeToolboxComponents = True

Debug.Print "  Include SOLIDWORKS Toolbox components: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeToolboxComponents

' Get current paths and filenames of the assembly's documents

status = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentNames(pgFileNames)

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  Current path and filenames: "

If (Not (IsEmpty(pgFileNames))) Then

For i = 0 To UBound(pgFileNames)

Debug.Print "    The path and filename is: " & pgFileNames(i)

Next i

End If

' Get current save-to paths and filenames of the assembly's documents

status = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentSaveToNames(pgFileNames, pgFileStatus)

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  Current default save-to filenames: "

Debug.Print "   The path and filename is: " & pgFileNames(i)

Next i

End If

' Set folder where to save the files

myPath = "C:\yahoo\"

status = swPackAndGo.SetSaveToName(True, myPath)

' Maintain the Pack and Go folder structure; save all files to the root directory

swPackAndGo.FlattenToSingleFolder = False

' Add a prefix and suffix to the new Pack and Go filenames

swPackAndGo.AddSuffix = "_R1"

' Verify document paths and filenames after adding prefix and suffix

ReDim pgGetFileNames(namesCount - 1)

ReDim pgDocumentStatus(namesCount - 1)

status = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentSaveToNames(pgGetFileNames, pgDocumentStatus)

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  My Pack and Go path and filenames after adding prefix and suffix: "

For i = 0 To (namesCount - 1)

Debug.Print "    My path and filename is: " & pgGetFileNames(i)

Next i

' Pack and Go

statuses = swModelDocExt.SavePackAndGo(swPackAndGo)

End Sub

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Found the solution for this ,

Just need to rearrange lines,

Option Explicit

Dim openFile As String

Dim status As Boolean

Dim warnings As Long

Dim errors As Long

Dim i As Long

Dim namesCount As Long

Dim myPath As String

Dim statuses As Variant

Sub main()

' Get Pack and Go object

Debug.Print "Pack and Go"

' Include any drawings, SOLIDWORKS Simulation results, and SOLIDWORKS Toolbox components

Debug.Print "  Include drawings: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeDrawings

Debug.Print "  Include SOLIDWORKS Simulation results: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeSimulationResults

Debug.Print "  Include SOLIDWORKS Toolbox components: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeToolboxComponents

Debug.Print ""

Next i

End If

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  Current default save-to filenames: "

Next i

End If

' Maintain the Pack and Go folder structure; save all files to the root directory

myPath = "C:\yahoo\"

swPackAndGo.AddSuffix = "_R1"

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  My Pack and Go path and filenames after adding prefix and suffix: "

Next i

' Pack and Go

End Sub

Thanks

Abilash V.

Prabahran,

But u will still have the original file right ?

Abilash

Abilash V.

Prabaharn

But u dont want multiple copies right ?

Then u r ok with the Pack and Go   API.

Abilash

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Yes Abilash. But the worst case we could have a copy and we may delete by API or manually so.

Thanks

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Could you help me with the pack and go API which is giving the output name in CAPS?

And that's enough for me to proceed further.

Really Thanks for your help

Clark Honzik

I remember running into that issue with the CAPS on a piece of automation I wrote.  I believe there was an SPR on that issue.  As I recall I had to simply code up a work around and create my own function to get the windows API to retrieve the path back to me as is actually exists in the file system of windows.

Prabaharan Pichaiyan

Option Explicit

Dim openFile As String

Dim status As Boolean

Dim warnings As Long

Dim errors As Long

Dim i As Long

Dim namesCount As Long

Dim myPath As String

Dim statuses As Variant

Sub main()

'Get Pack and Go object

'Debug.Print "Pack and Go"

'Debug.Print "  Include drawings: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeDrawings

'Debug.Print "  Include SOLIDWORKS Simulation results: " & swPackAndGo.IncludeSimulationResults

Debug.Print ""

Next i

End If

'Debug.Print ""

'Debug.Print "  Current default save-to filenames: "

Next i

End If

myPath = "C:\Users\dwg18.AVANTEKSERVER\Desktop\yahoo\"

myPath = UCase(myPath)

swPackAndGo.AddSuffix = "_R2"

'Debug.Print ""

'Debug.Print "  My Pack and Go path and filenames after adding prefix and suffix: "

Next i

' Pack and Go

End Sub

Voverrr Mironoff

Hello.

You can check this plugin:

Переименование деталей в сборке | StreamDivision

it's on the russsian there, but it's enough understandable in video.

It's allow to rename the parts in the opened assembly without closing and re-opening. Right in the tree.

Jim Donnellon

Did you try the rename part from feature tree?  It will rename part, and update reference on the fly.

I did a test, and it updates the drawing also.  I love this feature. FYI I am on 2017 SP5.0

Rename.jpg

Clark Honzik

I would suggest looking into SolidWorks PDM.  Even the standard addition will make this a simple process.

Ian Farquharson

Prabaharan Pichaiyan,

I have just cobbled together a macro that renames documents - assemblies and parts which will keep the references if your drawing is open. I can organize it to be not as specific for the properties that I have used to create my naming scheme.

I don't have any training on this but I am willing to share what I have come up with if you would like me to.

Ian