17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 12:36 PM by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Sketch orientation

S. Leacox

Hello. I am new to solid works, but many years using CAD.

I am making assembly driven sheet metal. One of the first things that I am wondering how to control is Making the parts coordinate system the same as the assembly coordinate system.

The assembly was started with a default setup. A "Y-up" assembly.

When I make part inside that assembly, the parts are "Z-up" because the sketchs to start the parts were made on planes parallel to the assembly "Front" plane (plan view for Y up).

If I switch my starting assembly to Z-up, will I have the same problem or will it solve the problem?

---------

Second question:

Is there a way to pick the default rotation of "Normal to sketch view" Assume the sketch is 90 degrees clock or counter clock to the perspective desired for sketching.

• Re: Sketch orientation
          Wing Hoe Tan

Hi

If you need to ensure that the part coordinate system aligns with the assembly's, upon inserting new part, you should click anywhere in space instead of on an entity. This will ensure that the new part shares the same origin and orientation as the assembly.

As for the default rotation of the sketch view, the only way would be to redefine the standard views. Or you can save out the view that you need and revert to it when you are doing the sketching.

Brian Brazeau

If you drop it anywhere in space the orientation will be the same, but the origin will be random based on where in the workspace you drop it. Tile the windows(part and assembly)  and drag and drop the part on the feature tree of the assembly. the orientation will be the same and the origins will be coincident.

Wing Hoe Tan

Hi Brian, I was referring specifically to the case of creating a new part within the environment of an assembly, for doing in-context editing. When you do this by clicking anywhere in space, the origins will align both in terms of position and direction

Picture1.png

What you are referring to is insertion of an existing component. A faster way to achieve what you mentioned is to simply click on the green check-mark upon insertion of existing component. There is no need to tile and drag.

Brian Brazeau

Hi Wing, I usually make a new part set it's color name it something meaningful and then insert it into the assembly. You are right clicking the green check mark gives the same result. However, when I tried inserting a new part in an assembly using insert,component,new part, it would not let me click anywhere in the graphics area I had to click a face or plane. See message I get below. SW 2016

Solid Air

Do you need to have the coordinate systems the same?  Are you the only person making the models and assemblies or are there others?  Will they follow these rules?  Reason I ask is because where I work there were rules on how to orientate a part so it could be inserted into an assembly without the need to rotate it into position.  That fell apart when an opposite hand assembly was needed or it a part was re-used from another assembly where it was orientated differently.  Point I am trying to make is what was important 17 years ago is not today (today we hope the user makes a usable and that is easy to alter when needed).  I know this does not answer either of your questions but is orientation really that important?

Roland Schwarz

Truly one of SolidWorks‘ most abject failings.

S. Leacox

The parts in question are sheet metal parts made inside the assembly. I would much prefer both the parts and assembly use the same front & up so that orientation of drafting of the parts and the assembly are the same.

I started with a Y up assembly (The default) but the parts inside use a plan view sketch to make the parts, so the parts end up Z up rather than Y up.

If I use a Z up assembly file, would the parts still be Z up?

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

you have some troubles with X,Y,Z axis?

On autocad/Catia/NX Z up like this

On Solidworks Y up is something like this

In Solidworks you can change it, but I don't know how you can transfer XYZ to older parts

VAR here teach me how could I make it, and made new templates, I attach this files to you maybe it will be usefull

Michael Fernando

This is SWs birth defect. SWs Default Planes are not complying to ISO standards. So do not follow the plane names but follow the triad directions.

Since you are coming from other CAD systems, best would be to rename SW default templates' planes to XY, XY & YZ in accordance to the triad and use them.

Michael Fernando CSWE

S. Leacox

I use the plane names X, Y & Z.

Plane X is the YZ plane, or it uses the math of X=value

Plane Y is the XZ plane, or it uses the math of Y=value

Plane Z is the ZY plane, or it uses the math of Z=value.

Working that way, I end up with the base planes being X0, Y0, Z0

Then offset of the X plane are X1, X2, etc

offset of the Y plane are Y1, Y2

At least this how I managed it in Solid Edge. This kept the plane names very simple to understand. The plane X1, uses an offset value from X0 in the X direction.

Michael Fernando

If you are in a multi-CAD environment and if you are exchanging models in between them, just follow SW triad so you could orient properly after translation or inserting them in original format. The  concept you describe is correct. BTW when using your Templates give me an error.

Since SW uses Top Plane @ Y direction (wrong ISO representation according to shown below), as you say Y-up; SW-created models has created a situation that they are not orientating properly with other CAD/CAM systems. Those models need to be reorient consistently. If you are only working with SW, then you will not notice this incompatibility.

Michael Fernando CSWE   

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

My templates was made in SW2018 SP2 and works fine in 2 PC, It is correct i will use one special triad to export them, but if it's by default with Z Up. It's more easy to import it in our clients CAD systems, we have NX too and to be transparent between both CAD's we must leave with the same triad as usual in most CAD systems, our clients VW / Ford / Faurecia / PSA use Z up, I can't understand why Solidworks is contrary to the automotive terminals requiriments, remember they use Z up as standard.

If Solidworks continues with the improvements I think we will stop using NX because it is quite tedious to do the same things like in SW (easier and faster) one month ago talk with our VAR and talk about some intencion from Vollkwaguen to buy new licenses of SW but I think if the triad ar like now....maybe says er...what happend here Dassault Catia use the correct triad and Solidworks hasn't the same thing?

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

See the correct triad for Automotive Industry NX/Catia/Autocad/Cimatron/Ideas understand that but...why SW don't?

It would be nice if SW SP3 includes default templates with the triad as the rest of the systems.

Deepak Gupta it's too hard to make this one? I know I always asking about it, but I don't have another reference with the API topic thank you very much Deepak.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Deepak Gupta, is there a API to change XYZ by default solidworks triad (Y up) to Z (Up) ?

Maybe Deepak has some automatic solution to this challenge.