3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 8:24 AM by Andrew Schutte

Future SolidWorks Add ins / companion software

Bryan Lagrange

I wanted to start this thread to get some ideas going about future Add ins/ companion software we the SolidWorks community would like to see SolidWorks add.

Here are 2 from me:

SolidWorks Production:

Software for production planning, job tracking, and machine monitoring. Not PDM but a software for those of us who produce parts in a job shop setting. Have the ability to connect with SolidWorks to add models and drawings to view, mark up, and use for inspection. Link BOM created in SolidWorks for purchasing and inventory purposes. Tie together all aspects to the manufacturing process. I could also linking SolidWorks inspection, SolidWorks CAM, and SolidWorks e-drawings to this.

Something similar to Fusion Production: Fusion Production | Software For Smart Manufacturing | Autodesk

SolidWorks Mobile:

Mobile version of SolidWorks to do basic modeling and sketching on a smart phone. Practically everyone has a smart phone and when visiting customers I know I am constantly capturing notes and images on my smart phone. It would be nice to start the design process here. I don't think we need full blown SolidWorks  but basic extrusion, cut, sketch, etc. functionality to create a .sldprt  that we could then be uploaded to full version SolidWorks once we return to the office to finalize the design.

What would you like to see?

• Re: Future SolidWorks Add ins / companion software
          Bryan Lagrange

I wanted to add for SolidWorks Production you could:

Estimate, Job creation, Create a job router, purchase material/hardware, issue Purchase orders, ship, and invoice.

Mark Armstrong

I think for your production software.... Solidworks Manage might take care of a lot of that (not all). Hopefully it is as customizable as PDM is.

Andrew Schutte

Bryan,

Your SOLIDWORKS Production suggestion is a good one, and is more commonly called an ERP or MRP system.

Most of the suggestions you listed:

SolidWorks Production:

Software for production planning, job tracking, and machine monitoring. Not PDM but a software for those of us who produce parts in a job shop setting. Have the ability to connect with SolidWorks to add models and drawings to view, mark up, and use for inspection. Link BOM created in SolidWorks for purchasing and inventory purposes. Tie together all aspects to the manufacturing process. I could also linking SolidWorks inspection, SolidWorks CAM, and SolidWorks e-drawings to this.

Are present in our ERP solution called COUNTERPART which was developed to address those exact challenges. Being a designer for over a decade I was really frustrated with the amount of paperwork, emails, managing revisions, etc. necessary to just get my design built. SOLIDWORKS enables us to create wonderful 3D models with crazy amounts of intelligent data, references and relationships, which then usually get reduced to paper, or excel, a screenshot or email, just to be re-entered again.

I'm mildly familiar with Fusion Production (built a speaker assembly using it at Autodesk University, Sh... Don't tell anyone), and I think COUNTERPART manages manufacturing challenges considerably better, with more of a focus on SOLIDWORKS integration and real-life time tracking, etc.

If you would like more information, feel free to reply here or contact me directly.

aschutte@smoothlogics.com

616-886-1523

Thanks!