6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2018 12:49 AM by Richard K.

Can't merge points

Richard K.

Can someone please open up the attached SLDPRT file, edit the 3d sketch called "Wireframe", and tell me why I can't merge these two points (or make them coincident)?

obWZNIh.png

It gives me this error:

3RWTOnV.png

If I manually drag and drop the point onto the other one I get the little "concentric" icon and they seem to merge correctly.

HrGKOqG.png

Playing around I seemed to be able to make it happen when one endpoint of my line is coincident with two orthogonal planes, and I try to make the other endpoint coincident with a point that is also coincident with one of those two planes.

BTW as a best practice I try whenever possible to affix my sketch entities to other sketch entities rather than ephemeral model geometry.  In this case, although the Property Manager fails above it does seem to work if you attach things to the equivalent edge and vertex geometry.  But I'd rather avoid doing that (to help make rebuilds more resilient to my changes).

I'm using Solidworks Premium 2017 x64 SP3.

• Re: Can't merge points
          Solid Air

Very strange indeed.  I found that if I delete your line, then sketch a line that is not connected to any other entities or geometry I can merge points if I reverse the order (in other words merge the points you get the concentric relation for then merge the opposite end).

Richard K.

What about this.  Delete my line, then sketch a new one.  Merge the lower end as before.  Try and make the other end coincident with FlangeEndPlane.  Why is that operation invalid?  Am I failing to properly wrap my head around the geometry?  If I do it in reverse using the "concentric" mouse-drag trick it works.

Solid Air

I used merged points first merging to your along x line then merging to your along y line.  However I am just as perplexed as you are as to why you are having an issue at all.  I will open your model in SW2018 to see if it is a bug in 17.

Richard K.

Thanks appreciate it!  Glad to know it's not just me.  Curious if 2018 fixes it, and whether you think it's an improvement over 2017 SP3 (which has been comparatively stable for me).

Solid Air

Curiosity got the better of me.  Still an issue in SW2108 but found if I suppress your on plane relation, I can merge the end points and then un-suppress the on plane relation and get no errors (does not answer your original question however).  I was also able to repeat this in SW2017 with no issues.

I do not have an opinion on which version of SW is better.  I still use SW2016 at work.  Only use SW2017  these days for questions posted on forum.  Starting to evaluate SW2018 for issues with company's workflows.