5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 1:00 PM by Bruce Cain

Problem with surfacing

Francisco Guerra

Hello friends:

I'm trying to do something similar like the attached PH file (this came from a .stl file, not editable) for a university project. I don't have much expertise in SolidWork and  don't know if I'm in the right way, but started with 2 surfaces to then use the knit surface with the option of create a solid and merge the entities, but solidworks gave me an error saying the a solid can't be created. Please check my file MO1.

Any recomendations?

Maybe I should start with a 3D Sketch or other way unknown to me?

Somebody can help me with some intructions to do what I want using surfaces.

Thank you all¡¡¡

• Re: Problem with surfacing
          Bruce Cain

HI Francisco,

What you want to do at this point is to trim the two surfaces at a neutral line then merge the two surfaces using a Surface-Knit feature. You can't have overlying surfaces and do a knit feature. Once the surfaces are knitted, you can then thicken it and make a solid.

Francisco Guerra

Hi Bruce, thank you for your time to answer me.

I spent a time working with parallel planes, splines, extruded, lofted and boundary surfaces and now it seem that is working, but I'm having troubles with the part between the thumb and the index finger (I don't know if you saw the PH file). I'm a beginner and don't have the expertise to get that part.

Would be possible for you to help me with that?

Thank you again¡¡

Bruce Cain

Hi Francisco,

Create a surface parallel to the Alzado plane that is located at the corner of the small protrusion (noted in attached image) and create a surface plane using a sketch on that plane. Use that surface to trim each of the current surfaces removing the unwanted sections on either side of that surface plane that are interfering with each other. once these are trimmed you can merge the surfaces and then thicken2018-04-17_15-47-45.jpg

Francisco Guerra

Hi Bruce,

I did what you said and it worked... now I understand that wasn't working due to my imprecise geometry. Thank you for that¡¡¡

I need your expertise related to my last question about the difficulties of the part between the thumb and index finger, I was talking about the part of the PH file (please check image below):

f2.jpg

I don't know exactly how to do that part.

Maybe with another plane in 45° or other similar angle?

Or with a 3D sketch and splines?

Or other way?

Thank you Bruce.

Bruce Cain

Hi Francisco,

Your ideas will all probably work in some form. Deciding the best one is up to you. You could even do a revolve to get the shape and then trim the surfaces. That's the great thing about SOLIDWORKS is there is usually never only one way to do things. Try something, if that doesn't work, try something else. Once you get something that does work, try and refine it from there. The best things is to keep trying.