8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 2:33 PM by Josh Brady

Hatch a Hidden Groove?

Rick Becker

How do I hatch the trepan on the backside of this part?

trepan.JPG

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Hatch a Hidden Groove?
          Dan Pihlaja

Inside your drawing view, draw two circles.  Then make then each co-radial to each of the grooves diameters.   Then Select "Area Hatch/Fill".

Select the "region" toggle and click between the two circles.

Then create a hidden layer:

Then select each of the circles that you just created and add them to the hidden layer:

Even better, the hatch will not now update as the groove updates because of the "co-radial" constraint.

Or, see Josh's reply below!  Awesome stuff!

Rick Becker

Thank you Dan.

This was just a simple example for what I really need to do. The region I need to hatch is rather complex and won't be fun to recreate.

Boy do I miss KeyCreator.

This looks like an enhancement request for me to put in.

And..

A Top Ten for next year (I might get 3 votes)

Josh Brady

You know that "Select other" works in drawings as well, right?  Except you have to use the little popup box.  Graphics won't change.  Use Select Other to select the hidden face, Insert->Annotations->Hatch.

Dan Pihlaja

Ahh, that DOES work!  wow Josh!   But I noticed that if you select hatch first, then you have to select "boundary" before you select your surface or it won't work.

Josh Brady

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Ahh, that DOES work! wow Josh! But I noticed that if you select hatch first, then you have to select "boundary" before you select your surface or it won't work.

Yes, the flexibility to "select, then command" or "command, then select" is usually great, but often the command behaves differently depending on whether you pre- or post-select.  I wish I could say there was a general of which one is always better, but I don't think there is.  You just gotta try it both ways sometimes...

Glenn Schroeder

I probably wouldn't have gotten it without seeing Josh mention "Select other", but I opened the Drawing, right-clicked on the open area between the two hidden circles, chose "Select other", selected the Face, then activated the Hatch feature.  It hatched the area without adding any sketch geometry.  The hatching didn't appear immediately when activating the command, but when I clicked on the Okay icon at the top of the Feature Manager it showed up.

Dan Pihlaja

See Josh's reply above!

You can "Convert Entities" (and select "inner loop" selection) from the sketch toolbar at the drawing level.  That should be rather quick.  (depending)

See attached Video

Rick Becker

Thank you Dan, Josh, Glenn

I wish I could mark more than one answer as correct.

I am continually amazed by the brilliance of the users of this forum. I was debating if I should post this question or not and now I am glad I did.

Dan you have gone above and beyond once again with the video and your other answers. Thank you.