12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 11:28 AM by Paul Salvador

Weird bug

Shelly Cooper

Ive recorded my problem, here is the link: Desktop 2018.04.13 - 00.07.10.01 - Streamable
      My cursor works properly if i try to click on the top toolbar like features etc. But it clicks on a different location then im pointing when i move it over to the drawing space.

Edit: Video is also in the attachment.

• Re: Weird bug
          Jim Steinmeyer

Shelly,

Many companies have us locked down as to what we can view or run. If you will save your video as a zip file you can then attach it to your post. More people will be able to see it and help.

Paul Salvador

Hello Shelly,.. yeah, weird,.. I think something like this has been reported before...  the graphics are out of sync.... maybe post your specs,.. grfx card/driver... also, suggest resetting the registry and running a repair.

Resetting the SOLIDWORKS registry

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Repairing an Installation

Shelly Cooper

Hi Paul, resetting the solidworks registry was the first thing ive tried. It didnt help. Uninstalling it didnt help either. But i didnt try repairing it. I'll try it and report back.

Edit: Repairing did not help either.

Jim Steinmeyer

Is it Groundhog's day again? Again?

Paul Salvador

Hey Shelly,..  ok.. yeah, the similar window size issue mentioned seems to be fixed(what was the SPR#?) in SP1...?

So... for reference, if it helps others and you,... what SP version and also what graphics card and driver are you using.. are you using a Laptop/Desktop?  

btw,.. one other somewhat related issue was adjusting "windows scale"... I wonder if it could effect/skew it?

Window Issue

Shelly Cooper

Hey Paul,

Its a desktop. Computer specs are: i7 6700K @ 4.6 ghz, evga gtx 980ti ACX 2.0+, solid is installed on a 250 gb m.2 ssd, 16 gb ram (i think they are working at 2666mhz or something close to that), graphics driver is geforce game ready driver version 391.35
                          Disabling that "scaling" didnt help.

Paul Salvador

Hello Shelly,.. i thought the scaling issue was 4k relate and you had to set it to 150%..?....or, it could be a few things.. a recent Windows update(s).... but/btw/and.. bcuz you have a unsupported graphics card, i do and others as well,.. i would suggest you search here for the 980 driver which is working (per your windoze version)..

btw2.. in your settings, can you test running with "OpenGl Software"..  that can be a clue the driver is causing yhe problems.

John Sweeney

Hi Shelly,

It looks like the dead space on your graphics area is the same height as the CommandMgr toolbar.  This may be a "window sizing" problem.  Try two things:

1. Restore the SolidWorks application window so it is not maximized.  Perhaps resize it by dragging the height and width.  If you remaximize the application window is it fixed?

2. Try turning off the CommandMgr toolbar from Tools-Customize dialog.  Then turn it back on to see if it fixed the problem.

A similar "window sizing" issue was been fixed in SW2018 sp1.

I hope this helps,

John

Shelly Cooper

Hi John,

I think you are onto something here. I've tried clicking on the "restore" button on the top right corner, so its not maximized. It didnt fix the problem but when i tried to mess with the size by dragging the windows corners, solidworks crashed after a second or so.

Disabling the command manager toolbar seems to fix it until i try to resize the solidworks window or the part window. Trying to resize one of these ends with a crash after 1 second.

John Sweeney

Hi Shelly,

If you are crashing, this does not seem like the same window sizing problem that is fixed in SW2018 sp1.  Given you can crash with simple steps like this, there seems to be something unique happening on your machine. 

The easiest thing to do is to run a system diagnostics and see if it points out any issues.  Among other things, this will verify you are using a "certified graphics driver".  If SolidWorks is running, you can locate the "SolidWorks Resource Monitor" in your start bar system tray.  Right click on it and select "Run System Diagnostics".  You can also run it from "Start-All Programs-SolidWorks 2017-SolidWorks Tools-SolidWorks Rx 2017". 

If this doesn't come up with any suggestions, I'd suggest you reach out to your Reseller.  They can grab the crash logs from your machine and pass them along to us for diagnosis.

Best Regards,
                                John

Shelly Cooper

Hey John,

Ive started Rx 2017, diagnostics didnt show any major problems so i started "problem capture". It started solidworks and there is no sign of my problem anymore. Everything works like a charm, no crashes, nothing.

Weird thing is, i didnt change anything. Last thing i did was to disable "display scaling on high DPI settings" but i did try launching solidworks after doing that. Problem was still there. Now its just gone.