25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 10:48 AM by Alex Lachance

Killer Solidworks 2018 machine?

Ted Mittelstaedt

Hi All,

I'm an IT worker setting up a new user with Solidworks 2018.

The system we are using works but it is slow.  Moedling operations like stretching a cylinder take 30 seconds or so to recalculate and draw.  Other

non-GPU operations like saving are slow too - OK for basic office work but not for engineering.

The GPU is a new Nvidia GTX1050 the workstation is an older dell T3500 running w7

We are going to replace the thing but what to buy?  I want to get something from HP like a good workstation but it needs to be fast.  I'll buy

the GPU separately - they sell a lot of high end GPU cards around here (thank you bitcoin minders)

Suggestions?

• Re: Killer Solidworks 2018 machine?
          Dave Bear

Hi Ted,

Have a read of this as a starting point........ What specs do I need for a new computer to use SolidWorks?

Dave.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                Alex Lachance

I don't know where you got that Dave tought you were an idiot but he certainly wasn't, he was trying to be helpful. So, with that said, know that the type of response you gave him will not fetch you many more responses in my opinion.

There are plenty of current-production vdeo card that you can buy, just not gaming cards, which is, I'm assuming, what you are looking at, since in your first post you mentioned a GTX1050.  See this thread for reference:

GTX 1080 ti or Quadro P4000?

Ron Bates a écrit:

Upcoming denoiser is supported in Kepler series cards (with at least 4 GB of Video memory) and up.  So Kepler, Maxwell, and of course latest Pascal and forthcoming Volta are supported.

To the original question of a Workstation class card VS a Consumer (gaming) class card... think of it this way...

When you buy a workstation class card, you are paying for a lot more pre-release testing before the card even goes out the door, a support life-cycle (driver updates) in the range of ~10 years, actual bug fixes if needed, and continued testing and certification by NVIDIA and SW for years.

All of this of course takes a lot of resources...

When you buy a consumer class card, as my wife and I sometimes tell our 6 year old: "You get what you get, and don't get upset"

Hope that helps

The SSD part isn't meant for the rendering part of SolidWorks, it is meant for everything else. I don't really feel like answering to you more then this so good luck.

Bjorn Hulman

HP build Solidworks certified machines.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA1-6960ENW.pdf

PS, if you want a solid SOLIDWORKS machine, you want to go for a certified graphics card rather than a gaming card.

Christian Chu

As Dave and Bjorn suggested, you need to get certified card (not game card) for solidworks.

You also need to contact Dell to make sure the card you pick compatible with the system  and get windows 10 installed on the system too

but the first priority is spending as much as you can on the processor, not video card unless  you do a lot of rendering

Rick Becker

Ted,

I know I shouldn't even comment here because I am so much stupider that you are.

Just ask yourself and you will see.

You want the best get a Boxx box.

Here is a helpful link for you to peruse...

Best Solidworks Workstations & Laptops | BOXX Technologies

Oh, and make sure you don't get a gamer video card. Use only SolidWorks Certified cards AND Drivers.

Alex Lachance

For all we know, his PC isn't even optimized for using SolidWorks. Perhaps he's running SolidWorks with the maximum graphic settings and such.

There are just so much stuff that you need to take care. The half that concerns the I.T. is the hardware, everything else relates to the draftsman/engineer and how he sets up his SolidWorks to work If he's running his SolidWorks with RealView Graphics, the highest level of detail of curvatures and so on, then there isn't much the I.T. guy can do to help him.

Can't help someone who isn't willing to receive help, kind of like here.

Rick Becker

Alex Lachance wrote:

For all we know, his PC isn't even optimized for using SolidWorks....Can't help someone who isn't willing to receive help, kind of like here.

True. If he clicks on my link he will have a plethora of up-to-date information to peruse through.

I just hope he doesn't use a gamer graphics card. He needs to use a certified card...

S. Casale

1. Be Polite to the folks you are asking or help.

2. BOXX.com

Glenn Schroeder

I'm sorry you didn't like the blog post.  I said right up front that I wasn't an expert.  That blog post was intended as general advice for people that don't have any idea what kind of machine they need (which is usually the case with people that come here asking for advice).  It was not directed at people as knowledgeable about hardware as you seem to be.

I'd also be more than happy to listen to advice from you or anyone else about how I could improve it.

Jody Smith

The blog post is fine Glenn...that guy must be from reddit or something. If I had the power I would ban that a$$hat for life from this forum.

Dave Bear

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I'm sorry you didn't like the blog post. I said right up front that I wasn't an expert. That blog post was intended as general advice for people that don't have any idea what kind of machine they need (which is usually the case with people that come here asking for advice). It was not directed at people as knowledgeable about hardware as you seem to be.

I'd also be more than happy to listen to advice from you or anyone else about how I could improve it.

There's nothing negative about your thread at all Glenn and you should be commended for taking the initiative to create ALL of the FAQ's that you have. Ted asked for suggestions and I gave him what I thought was a great starting point. Obviously we can't please everyone!

Dave.

Neville Williams

Hi Glenn,

I have added a little comment on your original post about the Shuttle small form factor computer.

Have had a few of these over the years and from my experience, seem to be bulletproof

Doug Seibel

A gaming card in a CAD workstation...?

As others have noted, HP makes systems expressly for running Solidworks.  I have no personal experience with the HP systems that are built/optimized for Solidworks, but I've seen them in action and they perform well.  I've been exceeding pleased with the BOXX workstation I have and I highly recommend them.  And gaming cards, no matter how new & fast, are junk in a CAD workstation.

Alex Lachance

I remember when I had my draftsman classes. I had bought myself a nice gaming set up figuring that it would do the job, being an avid gamer at the time.

When I started the class, boy was I in for a surprise. I had multiple graphic bugs, the program would crash about 30 times a day specifically because of the card, even worse it would eventually crash Windows, to the point that I had to switch the gaming card eventually for another gaming card(I wasn't aware at the time of the conflict) which ended up fixing the crashing part but not the graphic part.

So yeah, I succesfully graduated with a gaming card that caused me headaches and nightmares, but I don't advise it to anybody.

Alex Lachance

A co-worker of mine just called me saying his SolidWorks was extremely slow in rebuilding and he didn't know why. After looking at it for 10 minutes and not finding anything unusual, I figured I'd look into his options and see if something had changed since I had left.

After looking into it, I realized that before I left 2 weeks ago, I was the one that had caused his problems. he hadn't run into it until now because what he was working on wasn't big enough.

What the problem was, was that he had activated the verification on rebuild. I use this sometimes when I have a problem and can't put the finger on it.

Turning that off, fixed everything. This is the type of stuff that I spoke of earlier.

Dennis Dohogne

Alex Lachance wrote:

A co-worker of mine just called me saying his SolidWorks was extremely slow in rebuilding and he didn't know why. After looking at it for 10 minutes and not finding anything unusual, I figured I'd look into his options and see if something had changed since I had left.

After looking into it, I realized that before I left 2 weeks ago, I was the one that had caused his problems. he hadn't run into it until now because what he was working on wasn't big enough.

What the problem was, was that he had activated the verification on rebuild. I use this sometimes when I have a problem and can't put the finger on it.

Turning that off, fixed everything. This is the type of stuff that I spoke of earlier.

This is a recently painful area for me.  I normally operate with this unchecked and was making a complicated part.  For months of its evolution it never showed a problem.  Then, when I was trying to track down a problem I was having somewhere else in an assembly that happened to use this part a friend pointed this out.  I checked the box and this part showed some serious issues after doing a Ctrl+Q.  The problems are with little cleanup features that were not a problem with VOR unchecked, but could not be resolved when VOR was checked.  I had to delete those features and find another way.  The problem was they were so high up in the FM tree that I ended up abandoning it and starting over.  It's frustrating to say the least. 

Unchecking VOR dramatically reduces the rebuild time of complicated parts with lots of features, but it can allow you to make geometry that isn't right.  I'd rather the feature fail at the time of its attempt than far down the road when it is relatively high in the FM tree.

Now I leave VOR checked until the parts are pretty stable.

Ryan McVay

Oh, this one is mega pet peeve of mine.

This really should never have become an option! SW should verify that they are creating valid solids all the time! If rebuild is a problem then optimize the code to enhance the rebuild process. Don't turn off the rebuild function.

Yes, there is a full thread or two on this topic.

Alex Lachance

My guess is there are certain ways which you can actually create an invalid geometry, wether it be a surface or a solid. If it is an option then I'm guessing it cannot be forced the other way around.

I don't think I've ever had a rebuild problem on sheet metals but I've often had rebuild problems on surfaces or imported solids.

John Winterroth

With 65+ engineers running SW we are switching to Dell Precision machines and having great luck.  I am one of the CAD admins and personally have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop. 1Tb SSD, 32Gb RAM, NVidia Quadro M1000M graphics card.  I typically deal with large assembly models and have no issues. With the correct SW system settings ( setting files to load as lightweight in large assemblies, turning Real View off, ect ) a reasonably prices computer can function very reliably. 

Personally I prefer i7 processors.  We tested similar Xeon and i7 machines and found the i7 to get higher SW benchmark results. Most admins will tell you to keep the machine clean; ie don't install a ton of other software, just what is needed to perform your job.  I use a Surface tablet for Pandora/YouTube/ect.

Dave Bear

Hi Ted,

I'm so sorry I missed your reply!

Yep! I was only trying to help you........ I'll be sure to refrain from that next time.............

Dave.