9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 5:08 PM by John Winterroth

Impact of GPU on SolidWorks Modeling?

David Webb

Hello,

I have been trying to find out where the bottleneck in our systems lie and I'm having a hard time. Here's some specs of one of our systems that I thought couldn't possibly be slow.

• i7-7700k clocked to 4.9GHz
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz CL15
      • NVidia Quadro K2200
      • 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro

The report I'm getting from the user is that when he's rotating large assemblies and such, it's quite slow. Is this possibly the GPU? I don't know where else to throw money anymore. Does anyone know how much of an impact the GPU has when modeling with large assemblies?

Rendering is not really something we do frequently, so that's not a major concern.

Thanks for any input!

• Re: Impact of GPU on SolidWorks Modeling?
          Alex Burnett

A quick check is to ensure that his graphics card driver is a certified version as that does have a huge impact on performance.

Graphics Card Drivers | Hardware & System Requirements | SOLIDWORKS

David Webb

Thanks for the response, Alex. Unfortunately, in our tests we did try the SolidWorks certified one and we also went to Nvidia's site and downloaded their latest driver recommended for SolidWorks (at the time of that test, they were different driver versions) and performance difference was not noticeable.

Alex Burnett

David Webb wrote:

Thanks for the response, Alex. Unfortunately, in our tests we did try the SolidWorks certified one and we also went to Nvidia's site and downloaded their latest driver recommended for SolidWorks (at the time of that test, they were different driver versions) and performance difference was not noticeable.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with NVIDIA cards and SW as my employer built my machine with an AMD card. This has opened a whole other can of worms but one aspect may apply to you as well. I don't know what type of machine you're using but if it utilizes a switchable graphics system then that could be telling SW to use the wrong card. This happened to a few of my coworkers before I figured out exactly what was going on. I believe this feature is mostly exclusive to laptops though.

I'm just shooting in the dark here so hopefully someone with a bit more experience in this area can help a bit more.

David Sloop

How big of an assembly, and does it contain patterns? (Either features in parts, or patterned parts.)

Patterns kills build time.

In 20 years, I have not found a good way to make large patterns of parts, or features in parts.

Tom Gagnon

You can throw as much expensive hardware as you like at a circular rebuild, and it will still suffer from poor design.

In large assemblies, this is particularly troublesome.

Ian McLean

David Webb wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to find out where the bottleneck in our systems lie and I'm having a hard time. Here's some specs of one of our systems that I thought couldn't possibly be slow.

• i7-7700k clocked to 4.9GHz
                    • 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz CL15
                    • NVidia Quadro K2200
                    • 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro

The report I'm getting from the user is that when he's rotating large assemblies and such, it's quite slow. Is this possibly the GPU? I don't know where else to throw money anymore. Does anyone know how much of an impact the GPU has when modeling with large assemblies?

Rendering is not really something we do frequently, so that's not a major concern.

Thanks for any input!

Yes, the graphics card impacts rotate speed.
                    Use GPU-Z to check video card load.

Have you looked at image quality for your parts and assemblies? There is a lot of good info on the forums about the effect of image quality on performance and how to optimize.

The  Assembly Visualization tool is handy for checking how the load is distributed

Francisco Martínez

I have the same system except with a nvidia k4000, it is a powerful system however everything has a limit.

I am looking at a new card since I can see performance issues on very large assemblies. On the card drivers, always use the certified ones. They test them for issues or bugs, the drivers off the nvidia site have not been tested by solidworks.

John Winterroth

Check your system options.  Best hit for large assemblies is to load sub-assemblies and parts as lightweight.  You are likely not editing in the assembly, just manipulating the relationship between the sub-assemblies and parts.  Go to system options / assemblies and play with the settings.   Personally I have Large Assembly mode turn on at 250 parts, Large Design Review at 500.   Also check if Real View is turned on.  Unless you are making marketing materials turn it off.  Check your curvature settings.  System Options / Performance  look at Level of Detail.  Also go to Image Quality and check the resolution settings.

With the correct settings I've been able to give some old computers new life for our Co-Ops.