6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 3:39 PM by Juan López

vdi solidworks profile corruption

Brandon Waggoner

We are using VMWare Horizon 7 with UEM.  I've profiled Solidworks so UEM will remember all of the settings the user makes and inject them into their next session but when this happens the Solidworks registry is somehow becoming corrupt.  I've disabled the UEM Profiling and and told it just to remember the HKCU\software\solidworks\solidworks 2017 key.  Every time the user logs off and back on they get an error with the file.  I know it's not the file as I can delete the registry setting rerun our settings and the file opens just fine.   I had this working a couple years back so I'm not sure if it's changes to UEM or Solidworks or what.  I've reached out to my support but wasn't sure if anyone with VDI experience has run into this or not.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: vdi solidworks profile corruption
          Jeff Holliday

Just curious - would the "Copy Settings Wizard" do what you are attempting? This is a free tool within the Solidworks Tools. It is made for saving/restoring user settings when moving between computers.

Steve Calvert

Brandon, Hi, I just did a test last week on Solidworks on a server like you've described.  Pretty cool stuff and I had asked my IT guy who had set all this up to explain what you've described.  I'm not aware of how this would work but he said that some settings would have to be created in order for each profile/login to remain different.  I guess it's very much like having a registry setup for each login.

Anyway, I think we're pulling the trigger and moving this direction in a few months.  Going from SW2015 and Smarteam to SW2018 and PDM Pro AND doing all this at the same time with the server based Solidworks.  Wish me luck

Steve C

Juan López

Hi Brandon..

I have been in a PoC for Vmware Hozion and Uem for a month now and I too was in an urgency to get the users settings imported every time they log in..

I tried to run a vmware uem profiler on a machine with solidworks . the utility captured the information but running it as an application through the uem console didn't work.

What i opted to do was to go to the location of wherever the .sldreg is located.. make a copy of that file and rename it to just  yourfilename.REG .

then in the Uem console  go to user environment / registry settings and create a new registry setting there.  Point to the path of the newly renamed  reg file and modify the settings accordingly. I by no means am a solidworks user just the I.T guy but one of my most experienced solidworks user verified for me that when he launched the solidworks environment everything was there.

We use this one reg file for all vdi users nows.  If it needs to be updated the sldreg file get created again. copied and saved to a normal registry file and though the uem manager we have to point to the new registry again. 

Solidworks support was useless. stumbled upon this myself when i was asking our solidworks expert to show me the steps. he performs to import his settings.