5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2018 8:55 PM by Logan Pegler

Align Title Blocks on Different Sheet Formats

Logan Pegler

We have a single drawing template setup with multiple sheet formats available to use.

On any one drawing we may have a sheet for the Profile, Bending, Machining and a DXF for example. Each of our sheet formats for these sheets contain different information relevant to the manufacturing process it details but they all contain the same property information such as description and drawn.

Although they all convey the information clearly, I can't seem to find an easy way to make them all align. It is fairly obvious when going through a PDF the text moves up and down as you scroll through the pages. I'd like our drawings to look more professional than this.

Doing a copy and paste from one sheet to another seems to paste it in a random position from the cursor, so it is impossible to align it.

I'm sure there's a function there I'm forgetting about that would help in this situation.

Does anyone have a clever way to align title blocks across multiple sheets?

• Re: Align Title Blocks on Different Sheet Formats
          Tom Gagnon

Other than starting from the same (complete) sheet and copying it to create subsequent sheets, you can dimension the lines in a Layout layer which is not visible, nor prints. That way, the dimension does not appear, but it's present to drive title block width, for example. I like to place a centerline down the titleblock on the Layout layer, to which I attach center alignment for the text notes therein.

If you have sheets of varied sizes, it could be more difficult and varied.

Logan Pegler

After sitting down and working through the actual differences, it all boiled down to text differences. So in the end I simply copied the sheets and changed the text once the title block was set up correctly and this worked. I was able to set up and use a Layout Layer which spaced the text out in the original document.

Before I realised this I was also able to set up a border using co-ordinates on the outside of each page and then copying a section of this with the text/other lines I wished to copy between them it all aligned nicely so this would definitely allow others to get the desired result.

Tom Gagnon

If you want exact same sheet formats carried through, after a change and without copying the sheet into a new sheet, you can also save the Sheet Format (in Sheet Properties) to a file, then apply that S.F. to other sheets in other sheets' Properties.

It was not clear to me if you had intentional differences between the sheets, which would make this step less useful.

Logan Pegler

We have 2 different drawing templates, one for parts and one for assemblies. The part drawing template has a sheet 'PROFILE' with predefined views. The PROFILE page has unique notes. The assembly drawing template has a sheet 'BOM' with unique notes and one predefined isometric view. The intention of all this is to make each sheet show what is relevant to each stage of creating the part/assembly. When using PDF's suppliers see each page labelled clearly, and the sheet names are used to drive PDM exports.

The rest of the sheet formats are managed as individual sheet format files and I've created macros that will create new pages using these sheet formats. E.G one macro will create a new sheet, name it DXF, set the scale to 1:1 and set the sheet format of the new sheet to the DXF sheet format that is saved on the server. This new sheet then has unique notes that are not the same as the previously mentioned sheets. So on and so forth for other sheet types.

This then interacts with our PDM Professional system, so the DXF export task will look for the DXF sheet and export only this to a DXF file as an example.