6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 10:40 AM by Wayman John

PDF Creation in PDM Standard

Wayman John

Hello,

We have migrated over to PDM Standard 2018 from Workgroup PDM, and I am trying to get automatic creation of PDF copies of drawings to work correctly.

I have the task enabled in the workflow, and, sure enough, a PDF is created each time a drawing undergoes the transition from Under Check to Released.

My problem is as follows:

My drawing title block includes the Revision. When the drawing goes through the Release Transition into the Released State, the Alphabetic Revision is incremented and the Numeric Revision is reset to -00. However, the task to create a PDF is executed in the Transition, but the Revision is changed in the State:

Transition:

Capture.JPG

State:

Capture.JPG

The result is that the drawing file in the vault has the Revision A-00 shown in the title block, but the PDF copy of the same drawing has whatever the Revision was before Release, e.g. DEV-07, shown in the title block.

How can I get the PDF task to operate on the drawing after the Revision has been changed?

SW 2017, SP5

SW PDM Standard 2018, SP2

Windows 10 Pro

Thanks,

John

• Re: PDF Creation in PDM Standard
          Prasad Bhonsule

HI John, can you share some screenshots of how your task is configured? Are you using the revision of the file in the name of the PDF that is created?

Wayman John

Prasad,

Yes, I have set the task to name the PDF file:  <the same as the drawing>-<Revision>.pdf - for example, 'Test Part 1 060418-B-00.pdf'.

Following my earlier post, I have moved the increment job into the Transition from the State, so the convert task happens after the Revision increment.

I thought that would fix it.

First time through, everything goes swimmingly, the PDF shows A-00 in the title block and is named Test Part 1 060418-A-00.pdf, and the drawing file shows A-00 in the title block.

I then change state to WIP, using the 'Changes Required' Transition, make some changes and 'Submit for Check' Transition.

I log in as the designated checker and change state to Released using the 'Release' Transition.

The drawing file is released at Revision B-00 and another PDF file is created - Test Part 1 060418-B-00.pdf - However, the PDF file shows Revision A-00 in the title block, whilst the drawing file itself shows B-00 in the title block.

I have included screenshots of the task configuration.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

There are no notifications set.

Cheers,

John

Bryan Stevens

Could we try implementing your need in other ways? I might try the following if I'm troubleshooting or isolating the issue with:

1. Increment the revision in the transition instead. This would just have you set the revision components in the transition instead of the state. All the actions would then be run from the transition. As a note, the revision would increment when the file goes through that specific transition. As opposed to the every time the file entered the released state. My idea is put all the actions in the transition so they are not segregated by state and transition.

2. Make this a 3-stage workflow in a series/sequential setup. This should work due to the forced order or operations. However not ideal as this takes away from your 10 state limit and an additional manual transition.

Wayman John

Thanks, Bryan.

I have tried incrementing the Revision and doing the PDF creation in the Transition, instead of in the state. That seems promising, but I am now having trouble getting my initial Revision set to DEV before release.

I'll try a few iterations of what happens when.

It's a bit long-winded to test things every time I make a change.

Some kind of simulation would be great, but I think I have to create a new SW part and go through the whole thing every time.

I'll get the hang of it!

Cheers,

John

Wayman John

Right,

I'm homing in on the answer now.

I have the workflow set up so that it automatically creates a PDF of drawings when they are Released. However, it seems that the PDF is created at the old revision, not the new one.

The Revision shown on the drawing updates to the new revision (e.g. B-00) when it is regenerated. The PDF creation task appears to open the drawing and save it as a PDF, but does not appear to regenerate it, so the PDF copy of the drawing shows the old revision (A-00), whilst having the new revision (B-00) in the filename.

I'm so close...

Where next?

SW PDM Standard 2018, SP2

SW 2017 SP5

John

Wayman John

Fine-tuning my understanding of the problem:

• If I have a drawing open in SW and save_as PDF, the title block in the PDF copy shows the current revision of the drawing.
                          • If, however, I release a drawing in PDM Standard and the convert task automatically opens the drawing and save_as PDF, the title block in the PDF copy does not show any revision.

In both cases, the title block on the drawing and the data card in PDM each show the current revision.

I have had the VAR on the phone trying to sort this out, but I just wondered whether anyone else had experienced similar problems, and/or had any solutions.

John