3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 6:49 PM by Evan Dlugopolski

Is PDM worth using for a contract manufacturing company?

Evan Dlugopolski

Hoping all you PDM users out there can provide some input on my situation. (I am not too familiar with the capabilities and uses for PDM) 

My company is a contractor metal fabricator...For the most part, we are not in control of the design for the products we are making.  We are usually working with customer provided para-solids (IGES, STEP, etc.), PDFs, in-house tooling designs, our own drawings that we create to suit our in-process inspection, and SolidWorks inspection data.  We rarely need to have multiple designers working on the same project.  All files are currently managed on windows file explorer in a structure something like Customer>Part>Rev.  Our current process looks something this (some things may happen in parallel order)...

1. Receive customer solids and PDFs. 
      2. Move files to proper location
      3. Verify solid to customer print
      4. Create our in-process inspection drawings from para-solids
      5. Merge those SolidWorks drawing files to customer PDF in PDF format (creates a master drawing PDF with all necessary drawings and production information)
      6. Release master drawing to public drawing directory (allows shop floor to access PDFs)
      7. Create necessary tooling (fixture, gauges, tools)
      8. 1st article run to prove out processes
      9. Create SolidWorks inspection
      10. Inspect parts 1st article
      11. Ready for production
      12. Repeat for new revisions

So my questions are:

• Is there any value in having SolidWorks PDM to help manage this process?
      • Are there any features of PDM in particular that will allow for better document control throughout in a case like this?
      • What features does PDM have for managing SolidWorks inspection data?
      • Is there any way for us to release edrawing that include customer PDFs and our SolidWorks drawings? Essentially, where we could have a live connection between our active master drawing (customer drawing PDF and our created solidworks drawings) and the production floor?  One of our biggest issues is anytime we change our process drawings, we have to re-merge it to the master PDF and delete the page with the old process drawing.  It would be nice to have a live link between our active drawing and production. 

Ultimately we are looking for better document control and process efficiency.

My concerns are that PDM is more for managing the design process and revision control, unlike in our case where we do not manage original design files.  I also fear that PDM will create a lot more data entry, management, and maintenance than our current process.

Side note: We are using Epicor 10 and have looked into CADLink for creating BOM data.  Are there any advantage of using PDM if we decided to use CADLink as well? 

• Re: Is PDM worth using for a contract manufacturing company?
          Craig Schultz

Short answer: Yes.

I implemented this at my last place which was a sheet metal fab house like yours.

If you want a longer answer, shoot me a private message and I'll let you know what I did to improve our workflow.

• Re: Is PDM worth using for a contract manufacturing company?
            M. D.

I don't have experience at a fab shop but I would answer No it will probably hinder you more than help.  If you are not dealing with creating/modifying/updating Solidworks files and drawings then PDM isn't for you.  Most of the files you will be working with and editing on the day to day aren't Solidworks files it seems.  Also you don't have a hierarchical chain of command that needs to make approvals it seems.

• Is there any value in having SolidWorks PDM to help manage this process?

I would vote no.

• Are there any features of PDM in particular that will allow for better document control throughout in a case like this?

Not that I can think of especially since it doesn't sound like you have a strict in-house approval process.

• What features does PDM have for managing SolidWorks inspection data?

None that I know of.

• Is there any way for us to release edrawing that include customer PDFs and our SolidWorks drawings? Essentially, where we could have a live connection between our active master drawing (customer drawing PDF and our created solidworks drawings) and the production floor?  One of our biggest issues is anytime we change our process drawings, we have to re-merge it to the master PDF and delete the page with the old process drawing.  It would be nice to have a live link between our active drawing and production.

Don't think so.  You can have PDM "link" two documents but it isn't real per say.  it is just the same as if they were in a folder together and you can't see it outside PDM.