6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 4:14 AM by Tadeusz Sliwinski

Why I cant make dimension between hidden lines?

Tadeusz Sliwinski
      I have a drawind with shown hidden lines.

But something happened and I cant make dimension between hidden lines...
      Also I cant select those lines...
        • Why I cant make dimension between hidden lines?
          Deepak Gupta
          Tools, Options , Select Display/Selection and set the options for Selection of hidden edges.
              Dwight Livingston
              Be advised that you are leaving ASME standards if you dimension to hidden lines. The usual solution is to make a small cut-away or pick a different view for the dimension.
                  Matthew Lorono

Dwight Livingston wrote:

Be advised that you are leaving ASME standards if you dimension to hidden lines. The usual solution is to make a small cut-away or pick a different view for the dimension.

Is this 100% true? Does the standard prohibit this behavior by exclusion, or does it allow it by use of words like "may" when stating preferred methods?
                      Alex Ruiz

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Dwight Livingston wrote:

Is this 100% true? Does the standard prohibit this behavior by exclusion, or does it allow it by use of words like "may" when stating preferred methods?

Per ASME Y14.5, Section 1.4 Fundamental Rules Sub-section (g):
                      "Dimensions should be arranged to provide required information for optimum readability. Dimensions should be shown in true profile views and refer to visible outlines."

Also, Section 4.26.3 ASME Y14.100 refers to the use of the word "should"

..."(c) "Should" and "May" are used when it is necessary to express nonmandatory provisions."

However... It is considered poor practice to dimension to a hidden line and Dwight's comment about creating a break out section is pretty much the industry accepted practice.
                          Matthew Lorono

Alex Ruiz wrote:

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Dwight Livingston wrote:

Agreed, but it is allowed.

Per ASME Y14.5, Section 1.4 Fundamental Rules Sub-section (g):

"Dimensions should be arranged to provide required information for optimum readability. Dimensions should be shown in true profile views and refer to visible outlines."

Also, Section 4.26.3 ASME Y14.100 refers to the use of the word "should"

..."(c) "Should" and "May" are used when it is necessary to express nonmandatory provisions."

However... It is considered poor practice to dimension to a hidden line and Dwight's comment about creating a break out section is pretty much the industry accepted practice.

Tadeusz Sliwinski
                            Thanks, of course that works.

But I'm sure - I don't made any changes in options since spring 2008...