58 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 1:59 PM by Rick McDonald

Can I peruse work in sold works?

Bryce Beaumont

So, I've heard it is possible to get work online in Solidworks. I am a computer science student looking for a flexible way to work online around the school.
      I earned a CSWA certificate 2 years ago, and haven't done anything with it since. Outside of a one-semester course, I took at a community college to get the certificate I have no experience, and I can't honestly say I'm super confident in my abilities, although I'm pretty sure I can pick up new skills quickly.

1) Is it viable for a person like me to get freelance work online?
      2) What websites should I use to look?
      3) I have not purchased sold works yet, and am wondering if it's a good idea to make the investment, what version should I buy?
      4) How much should I charge?
      Thank you for any and all information.

• Re: Can I peruse work in sold works?
          Wayne Schafer

Your not going to be doing freelance work with a student license.  Which is fairly cheap.  A SW license is going to cost you around 8K or so.  That may be a bit much.

Christopher Culver

I'm going to come right out and say it and hope you don't take offense, after one semester of Solidworks, and no formal or practical engineering, manufacturing, or design experience, you will have a lot of trouble finding a way to make money using it. I admire your ambition, but I'd delve a lot deeper into researching just how people actually make money using solidworks, or any CAD software really.

good luck.

M. D.

I would recommend getting a free 3D CAD software, and using that to do freelance work.  You can also look for work as a Mechanical Drafter as you get experience with the free 3D cad.

Richard Gergely

Without at least 3 years of real work CAD experience I don't think it is even a slight option to go freelance.

J. Mather

What is the url to your ePortfolio?

When you pursue this effort of creating an ePortfolio to highlight your skills, be sure to have an editor peruse your site and make corrections as necessary to items like "SolidWorks" rather than "sold works".

You want to convey the impression that you are super confident in your skills and can provide viable design solutions for hire.

Dan Pihlaja

Honestly.....what I would do if you don't want to take the risk yet is to contact different contract companies and see if they need someone on a temporary basis.   Or even contact someone who is freelancing and see if they need someone to help out.

Most of the time, the contract companies will put you with someone who already has a computer and a license of Solidworks

This will take some of the risk off of your shoulders and you will be able to see if you can handle it in the big bad world.

Then, once you get comfortable with it, go freelance.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Good morning pal

1) I estimate that's a product designer you can get it soon

2) ASME / TEMA (Pressure vessels) AISC (Steel construction) SME sheet metal forming and die design Try to see somes video from Logopress3 for progresive dies

3) If you Buy a Premium SW only worth it if you already have some good customers, otherwise it could be a bad idea

4) U$D 50 per hour (I live in Argentina I don't have any reference value in the US)

I hope it helps you

Rick McDonald

Bryce,

You are still a student so you still qualify for the Student Version of SolidWorks and it would only be a small investment now.

The big problem I see is that you said you took just the one coarse and got your CSWA and you haven't used it since (2 more years).

You need to use it and get used to it before you will be able to do a good job in a good time.

Get the student version and Practice, Practice, Practice.  Take pictures of some object, machine or part and then see if you can make the part and a drawing of it.  Do this over and over with different type parts or objects that will require you to use and get comfortable with different features and commands in SolidWorks.  Then make something that requires several parts and make an assembly, adding mates where you can move some parts and the others are fixed and you get no errors.  Make drawings of the assemblies and add BOM tables and other features that might be required.

Be sure the drawings meet all the drawing standards for you area - in the US that would usually be ANSI or ISO, but other areas of the world have different standards.  You should also know GD&T.  Some companies require this some do not.

Then and only then would you be in a position where you could do a decent job in a timely manner for someone who would be expecting a freelance job to be done well and on time.

I am not trying to be negative here but if you just jump in now and get a paying job you will likely fail or not perform in the allotted time and the customer will never go to you again or recommend you to others.  You need more practice and experience.  Don't get over eager, it will hurt more than help.

If you want to make the attempt, you might try to find someone that does use freelancers.

Contact the person and explain that you are a student and you are learning SolidWorks and you would like to see if they would allow you to do a job, for free, just for the experience and have them critique it.  Something that someone else has done or is doing - so they will not be expecting the finished product from you.  It would be like a work study program, no cost to them.

If they like your work it could later result in contract jobs for you.  Regardless, it would give you experience and you would see what was needed and expected of a Freelancer.  People who want a Freelancer to do work can (and probably will be) very demanding in the time it takes and that it is done correctly.

Dennis Dohogne

Rick makes some great points, as usual.  But the student version of the software should only be for your learning use.  You cannot use it for ANY production work.  For one it is a violation of the license agreement.  Another reason is that every file you touch will have the electronic watermark on it.  No customer will accept files with that watermark on it, nor should they.

Rick McDonald

Thank you Dennis for pointing that out, that it can NOT be used for any production or pay.

I only implied that by saying he should do it free and for the experience and critique but he would not have realized it would be a violation if he used the student version for production or got paid.

Student version is only for learning.

Bryce Beaumont

Thanks for the response, lots of good advice here.
                                I was under the impression that it is not legal to do any sort of commercial work with the student licence and that assets produced could not be monetized? Is this not correct? 

Dennis Dohogne

Bryce Beaumont wrote:

I was under the impression that it is not legal to do any sort of commercial work with the student licence and that assets produced could not be monetized? Is this not correct?

That IS correct.  As stated above, the educational version is for learning and is not to be used for any kind of paid work.

Rick McDonald

Bryce,

That is correct.  That is why I stated it in my post as:

Contact the person and explain that you are a student and you are learning SolidWorks and you would like to see if they would allow you to do a job, for free, just for the experience and have them critique it.  Something that someone else has done or is doing - so they will not be expecting the finished product from you.  It would be like a work study program, no cost to them.

Doing a Job for free is not Commercial work and they would only critique it.  If they like your work that they like - It might later get you an offer to work for them, as an employee, using their SWX products - not your student license.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

I search for you some solutions, to make sketchs use DraftSight it's free and it's very simylar as Autocad It's for 2D drawings

Descargar la solución DraftSight™ en 2D - Dassault Systèmes®

If you want to a Pro buy one premium License of Solidworks and maybe other add-ins like (it has piping, welded structure and)

SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD Product Matrix | Solid Solutions

Logopress3    - Progresive Die Desing

Camworks      - CNC Machining

Alma              -CNC Sheet metal

And many solutions try to see here....

SOLIDWORKS Partner Products | Solid Solutions

Enjoy