6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 12:15 PM by Deepak Gupta

Using hyperlinks from the BOM

Gordon Rigg

I am assuming that it is still not possible to generate hyperlinks inside the BOM table? a question that has come up regularly over the years, since hyperlinks were introduced in notes. For example: Hyperlink in BOM , Can you export a Solidworks drawing to pdf with BOM hyperlinks that take you to area where part is used?

I have found the nice work by Blake Dahle who created a macro that measures the existing BOM table cells and places a text note "*" behind the table with a hotlink that is generated from the part number column.

BOM Hyperlink
      I've managed to edit Blake's macro to do what I want. I now have the * appearing on the column line with space filled note coverting most of the part number. blakes BOM was bottom right so I had to fiddle about as mine is top left.

So all the people who need to work with our pdf drawings here, can open the component part drawings via hotlinks on the assembly drawing pdf.

My macro now looks at the part numbers and makes links only for the ones that do or will have drawings, jumping over the screws and bin numbers etc.it makes a hotlink to where all our pdf drawings are stored under part number listing, making the hotlink irrespective of if the drawing exists yet or not.

I want to add some more features to the macro:

• Place BOM anchor top left and anchor BOM to it. Existing assembly drawings do not have the BOM anchor point set or the bom anchored, so ideally the macro would do that automatically (currently I just have a message box telling the user to do it).

• Create a new layer "hyperlink BOM", with a pale grey colour, and make it current.
        Delete everything on the hyperlink BOM layer that already exists, if the layer exists. Or perhaps just delete all notes that lie within the BOM table area, but are not part of the BOM.

• Add the linked notes as I have working already.

• Set current layer to "Per Standard".

I dont really know what I'm doing...I'm mainly using google...

• Re: Using hyperlinks from the BOM
          Gordon Rigg

I now have the macro creating my new layer "BOMLINK", putting the note links on that layer and returning the layer setting to -Per Standard-

I'm struggling with how to delete any existing notes on the BOMLINK layer, when it already exists. I can delete the layer, but then the notes transfer to a "none" layer state and don't get deleted.

Gordon Rigg

Here's an example of a BOM with links

Gordon Rigg

I've completed this macro.

If anyone wants a copy if my part understood messy macro that works for me then get in touch.

It doesn't anchor the BOM, but I've covered that in my templates for future assembly drawings.

It creates the new layer BOMLINK, deletes any existing notes on that layer, adds the link notes positioned on the second column of the BOM, and then sets the active layer to -per standard-

It works for BOM positioned top left of drawing frame.

Deepak Gupta

Gordon, can you share the completed macro that worked for you? A friend has asked for similar thing and may be your macro would help him out. Thanks.

Gordon Rigg

If you all promise not to laugh at my copy paste hack about mess, then yes

But don't credit me with its creation, most of the work is by  Blake Dahle.

• assy drawing issue.swp calls the other two and some other stuff not of interest. but I think I put a check for the correct BOM anchor in this one.
                          • deleteallonBOMLINK deletes any existing links from the BOM
                          • hyperlink BOM creates new hyperlinks for the BOM.

Blakes work made it track the sizing of the BOM correctly, I had to change his bottom right location for my top left location.

There are checks for certain part number types to decide if a link is valid thing to create or not so it jumps over part number types that will never have a drawing associated (such as B_numbers). It also gives a warning when somone has not filled a part number and it is as per our template (reading "part number") or the field is blank.

We have a directory where all our drawings are stored as PDF in numerical order under part number only so it only has to link to one place. We have a system keeping that directory up to date automatically with the latest revision (the master data is elsewhere in a more navigable form). We have lots of documents and things hotlinking to PDFs of our drawings in there, it works well.

This hotlinks to a blank text box positioned behind the part number in the BOM. I cant recall if it looks for the number column, or if it just uses the second column. Its not actually blank, it puts a small * on a pale grey layer that is just about visible.

Have fun with it