4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2018 12:16 PM by Jonathan Westcott

can an administrator make copies of files from the vault without using pdm?

Janet Coleman

Scenario:

California site uses SW 2017 pdm for 1000 parts.

Pennsylvania does not use pdm but uses SW 2018.

Pennsylvania has access to California's pdm but can't really open because of the compatibility.

Question:

Can Pennsylvania bypass pdm and grab the 1000 parts from the vault?

• Re: can an administrator make copies of files from the vault without using pdm?
          Janet Coleman

@Jim Sculley                    Apr 4, 2018 10:11 AM                                     (in response to Janet Coleman)                     

Since you don't use PDM at your location, why don't you simply install the 2017 PDM client on your 2018 machines?  If the 2017 SOLIDWORKS add-in for PDM is incompatible with SW 2018 (I'm not sure that it is), install the client without the SW add-in and use Windows Explorer for all PDM related activities (state change, check in/out).

It seems like the larger problem will be the fact that if you save something in 2018, the 2017 users won't be able to open it.

Jim,

Yes, this is the problem that our sister site needs to update.

Can you do a mass check out of a whole folder instead of one assembly at a time? We want to transfer all 1000 documents to our system...

• Re: can an administrator make copies of files from the vault without using pdm?
              Jim Sculley

Janet Coleman wrote:

Can you do a mass check out of a whole folder instead of one assembly at a time? We want to transfer all 1000 documents to our system...

You are mixing up terminology which makes it difficult to give the proper answer.  What do you want as the end result here?

1. If you want the 1000 files to move to the PA location permanently, the CA office can use Copy Tree to copy the files to a location outside PDM where they can then be moved to PA using any method you choose (thumb drive, FTP, email, shared network drive, etc).  After the files have been validated in PA, the CA office can delete them from PDM.
              2. If you want the files to remain in CA but want your PA users to be able to work with them, the best way is to do what I said above, install the 2017 PDM client on the PA machines and use Explorer for PDM activities.  PDM doesn't care if the files are 2017 or 2018.
              3. If you can't give the PA users PDM, but you want the files to stay in PDM in CA, you'll have a difficult time.  The only way this will work is to have someone in CA copy the files to somewhere the PA users can access them.  When the PA users finish the work, they will have to let the CA users know.  Then the CA users will check out any files that have been changed (the PA users will have to keep track of this) and overwrite the files in the vault with the updated copies.  This is basically a manual pseudo vault replication and is fraught with risk of human error.
                  Janet Coleman

You answered my question with the copy tree

Sorry for the confusion! I do need all these options though to pass on to others in my department.

Thank you!

Jonathan Westcott

Hi Janet,

Got sidetracked whist writing this but totally agree with Jim. Not sure if I've actually added anything useful but figured I might as well post it as I've written it.

One thing I will say is that if you do CopyTree it will only copy things directly related to the top model, if everything is related to that model then great, if not you may leave stuff behind.

If you want the whole vault contents then the method below should work.

"There are a lot of options and scenario's here with their own pro's and con's, it really depends upon:

1. Whether or not you want the data to be shared back the other way (from Pennsylvania to California) in the future.
                      2. If you don't mind that if California update there data in the future, this will not be reflected with Pennsylvania unless they manually go through the process of copying the data again.

If the answer to question 1 is that it is going to be shared back, then you need to build a more collaborative setup starting with both sites being on the same version of SolidWorks and PDM. In this case you either have to upgrade California's CAD & PDM to 2018 or have Pennsylvania install 2017 (you can install all past versions of the software below your current version via the customer portal, you will have a separate licence key for each past version) as well as 2018 on their machines and only use 2017 for working on these particular documents (this will be free but can be a confusing environment).

If you don't mind that the data is being separated from the California site you can do this.

From a machine in Pennsylvania (or in California and copy to USB etc):

1. login
                      2. at top level in the vault, select all documents and folders and right click>check in
                      3. at top level in the vault, select all documents and folders and right click>get latest versions
                      4. in windows explorer navigate to the vault view icon for your vault and right click>Delete File Vault View
                      5. a message box will appear, check "Leave the local contents of the file vault as normal files and folders"

You will then have a normal windows folder that matches the file structure of the vault, this is a snapshot of the vault at the time you did this operation and it is completely cut off from California's vault now. You can do what you like with this i.e move it to a network location etc.

I would definitely not recommend this for collaborative working as it will cause you more headaches/work in the long run. This leaves your IP outside a vault and your files no longer under revision control. You also have the possibility of the two sites ordering items with the same name and revision but actually being different parts (if Pennsylvania edit the docs), a nightmare for quality and purchasing."