14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 1:38 PM by Mark Fitzpatrick

Anyone get this frequently?

Mark Fitzpatrick

See attached...more lost work...

• Re: Anyone get this frequently?
          Walter Fetsch

Usually, when I get the 'not responding' error, it is resolved by being patient.  SW has made a large demand of the processor and if I wait for it to complete, it usually does.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Yeah that doesn't happen to me much. Just the waiting and eventual shut down. Suppose to move up to the 2017 version. Can't wait to see what that brings.

Walter Fetsch

Whoa!  Wait for 2018, 2017 has been a reliability disaster.  I have been using SW since 2002 and have literally found more bugs in 2017 than in all versions that I have used since 2002 combined.

Mark Fitzpatrick

I've only been using it since 2010 and since we don't update every year we have only used three versions and I'd say all are equally as bad as the next.

Dan Golthing

Its funny how Russian Roulette SWX is.  I am having MUCH more success with 2017-2018 than with 2016, which was my nemesis!

Todd Blacksher

Walter Fetsch wrote:

Whoa! Wait for 2018, 2017 has been a reliability disaster. I have been using SW since 2002 and have literally found more bugs in 2017 than in all versions that I have used since 2002 combined.

I'm guessing that Mark Fitzpatrick might have to hold off on 2018 due to the new server requirements for network licensing (I could be mistaken) - Going to 2017 SP5.0 would still be a huge improvement over 2015.

I'm not sure if the "delay" before showing the "Not Responding" message has been decreased, but I used to see it a little more frequently as well, just clicking "Wait for program to respond" usually worked for me.

I guess it just depends on what you are doing - it could seem very minor to you, but could very well be a processor intensive operation.

Mark Fitzpatrick

This morning I did a simple copy with mates (only two mates) of a screw. I selected the first mate then the second mate and there it sat locked up. This was a repeatable problem, which so many are just random unrepeatable in SW. My work around was to insert the part and mate up accordingly. I let it sit nonresponsive 45 minutes as I waited for support. Pretty sure it wasn't coming out of the not responding state. And I didn't even get the courtesy of a warning saying SW is not responding (like the jpg). I had to go to task manager for that.

Todd Blacksher

Mark Fitzpatrick wrote:

This morning I did a simple copy with mates (only two mates) of a screw. I selected the first mate then the second mate and there it sat locked up. This was a repeatable problem, which so many are just random unrepeatable in SW. My work around was to insert the part and mate up accordingly. I let it sit nonresponsive 45 minutes as I waited for support. Pretty sure it wasn't coming out of the not responding state. And I didn't even get the courtesy of a warning saying SW is not responding (like the jpg). I had to go to task manager for that.

Can you get this to repeat with a "simplified" assembly?

(I'm guessing that this might be a fairly large assembly that you are using.)

If you can, upload a Pack and Go of the assembly so that a few of us can take a shot at it using different releases of SW?

I don't use Copy with Mates very often, and I have not run into any issues with it yet, but I am curious as to what is happening.

Dennis Dohogne

Mark Fitzpatrick wrote:

This morning I did a simple copy with mates (only two mates) of a screw.

Mark, I don't like it, but one of the things I see with Copy With Mates is that it doesn't work unless the items are fully constrained.  A locked concentric mate doesn't do it for that requirement.  This does not explain the problem you are having, because if your screw still has a degree of freedom you should be getting a message and not an infinite time-out or a crash.

Paul Risley

Is the screw a toolbox component or legacy part?

If it is a legacy part, there may be an actual issue with the part.

Where  I work currently I had a similar situation exist for the first year or so. There were some common drill bushings, 2 circles extruded to the thickness of the bushing pretty simple model. It would have the same behavior as you are describing. Copy with mates would hang up constantly. One day on a whim I tracked the parts history and found the original version was created in 2005, this was 2011. When I tried some theories out removing the part and replacing with a similar part the issues went away. So the next step was to send a sample to my VAR. An easy assembly with the "bad" part and an easy to replace it part loaded into the assembly. After an hour of testing they got back, the issue was the model of the original bushing was corrupted in some form. They couldn't say for sure what it was but there was a rebuild hangup on the bushing all of the time. Which impacted the copy with mates functionality because it has to rebuild the parts and their mate structure during the process.

I wouldn't shoot this as the absolute answer to your problem, but it sounds like what  I saw before.

If it is a toolbox part I am of no service at all, we don't use toolbox and their are others out there much more experienced in it's nuances than I will ever be.

Chris Saller

I clicked on the jpg, still waiting for what the error is...