10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 8:48 AM by Dan Pihlaja

Hardware mates in top level, hardware in its own assy?

Chris Holske

I am building large frames with lots of assy hardware (nuts and bolts) I want the top level to only include sheet metal frame and purchased components (printers, scanners, monitors, ect) I dont want nuts and bolts to show on my top level BOM. I decided to create an assy (-000) with all nuts, bolts, washers...... and insert this assy into the top level as a "hardware kit" This works well for me except when trying to mate the hardware.  I assume its because the hardware is in its own assy and can only be mated in that assy? Is there a good work around or better solution for me?

Thanks.

• Re: Hardware mates in top level, hardware in its own assy?
          Dan Pihlaja

1) Open the main assembly.

2) Edit the sub assembly in context.

3) add a virtual part (doesn't have to be virtual, but I like them for things like this).

4) Edit the part in context.

5) Create a 3D sketch.

6) Make sure that "No External References" is off. 

7) Convert entities on all circular edges that the hardware mounts to.

Alternative to 5 & 7-8: Select circular surfaces and "Offset surface" 0in

8) Exit the sketch.

9) Open the sub assembly separately.

10) Mate the hardware to the circles that you now have from the 3D sketch/surfaces in the virtual part.

11) Hide sketch.

Disclaimer:  I am not totally sure what this will do to performance.   But it shouldn't be as bad as having a million mates in the top level assembly.

Edited!!   Added reference to separate part rather than inside sub assembly.

Gary Knotts

I've done this before by checking the "FLEXIBLE" button in the properties box of the sub-assembly. By doing this you can mate the hardware the way you normally would and then move it into the hardware assembly.  I don't work with large assemblies so I don't know what it would do to performance.

Jim Steinmeyer

Gary Knotts wrote:

I've done this before by checking the "FLEXIBLE" button in the properties box of the sub-assembly. By doing this you can mate the hardware the way you normally would and then move it into the hardware assembly. I don't work with large assemblies so I don't know what it would do to performance.

Gary,

This would drag performance way down. But once the hardware is mated correctly you can remove the flexible state and now you have all the hardware in a sub assembly which remover all of those mates from the top level to improve performance.

What I like to do is create all of those mates in the top level then group them together and create a subassembly of them. This allows ease of creating the mates originally but then allows them to be removed from the top level.

Glenn Schroeder

It's not a workflow I've used often (maybe never), but have you tried inserting and mating all the hardware in the main assembly, then select all of it and choose "Form New Subassembly" from the drop-down?