8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2018 1:35 PM by Anna Wood

SolidWorks X design

Bryan Lagrange

I have a few questions on SolidWorks X design.

1) Will you be able to design on a smart phone?

2) Will you be able to run it on a Chrome book?

3) Will it be android compatible?

4) Will the file extension be .sldprt for a part file?

If not, when you upload it into SolidWorks will it be a dumb solid with no parametric features or will it have a parametric tree to update and change in SolidWorks?

Thank you

• Re: SolidWorks X design
          Bryan Lagrange

Does anyone have feedback on X design?

How can someone become a part of the Beta testing?

Thank you

Kelvin Lamport
            1) Will you be able to design on a smart phone?

2) Will you be able to run it on a Chrome book?

3) Will it be android compatible?

AS quoted from SOLIDWORKS xDesign Launch Announced at SOLIDWORKS WORLD 2018

"SOLIDWORKS xDesign brings 3D CAD to any browser that supports webGL"

4) Will the file extension be .sldprt for a part file?

I do not know.

Dennis Dohogne

Xdesign will be a separate, cloud-based version of SWX.  It will be able to bring in your current files from SWX (and other systems), but you will not be able to bring the Xdesign files as a parametric file into your desktop version of SWX (not yet at least).  I am sure you will be able to export from Xdesign a dumb solid.  I was told by the development team that they will take the software where the market wants them to go.  If the market wants bi-directional parametric file compatibility then the users will have to clearly let that be known.

The god and bad news is that it is still in its early stages.  The bad is that not all the capabilities we enjoy in our desktop versions of SWX are there.  The good is that it is a fresh start and new possibilities exist that are too difficult to implement in software with a 25-year history as the desktop version has.

Go here to sign up and to learn more:  SOLIDWORKS | Xdesign

Kelvin Lamport

I was told by the development team that they will take the software where the market wants them to go. If the market wants bi-directional parametric file compatibility then the users will have to clearly let that be known.

They have to be told ???  Isn't it blatantly bloody obvious that of course users would want bi-directionality. We've been wishing and asking for that between SW versions, and competitor programs for years. Why on earth would we not expect that from programs within the bounds of the parent company. But the fact that Dassault won't even allow import of Catia to SW (unless we pay their extortion) speaks volumes.

Dennis Dohogne

Kelvin, I agree with you 100%.  What the users want is more flexibility in going between systems.  What the Marketing folks want is to tie us down so that alternatives are more painful than staying put.  I think that if a new 3D system were to truly be parametrically bidirectional they would have a huge winner.

I was just reporting the things I heard straight from some high powered folks on the development team.  They said it with an expression on their face that it was the marketing direction they were given, more than their own choice, but I could be reading way too much into their non-verbal response.

Bryan Lagrange

I would think if you put the name SolidWorks in the front of it then it should all tie to SolidWorks (without having to have to export as a separate file to open in SolidWorks). If it is to be run as a separate program with no bidirectional capability then you should name it something else.

When you look at all the partner products for CAM, simulation, etc. that run in the SolidWorks environment without having to make separate files, and have bi directional connectivity, you would think programs like SolidWorks industrial designer, and SolidWorks X design would do the same.

Just my thoughts