2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2018 4:55 AM by Andrey Bogdanov

The discrepancy between the results when applying the temperature load

Andrey Bogdanov

I apply a temperature load of 40 degrees Celsius to all facets of a 0.6 meter long part. Manual calculation produces a linear expansion of 0.28 mm. Solidworks shows 0.11 mm (Reference temperature at zero strain: 0 degrees Celsius)

In the same way, large strains in the metal are obtained when heated at 40 degrees Celsius (about 700 kg / cm2), although nothing prevents the metal from expanding.

Снимок.JPG

Such results can not be or I just can not understand the simple logic of solidworks

• Re: The discrepancy between the results when applying the temperature load
          Ryan Dark

Hi Andrey,

I think I see the source of your result dependency right here:

I apply a temperature load of 40 degrees Celsius to all facets

This applies temperatures to the exterior face nodes but the internal volume nodes remain undefined.  The program cannot handle a null temperature value for these nodes so it applies a default 0 Kelvin to them.  So, as your exterior face nodes expand the interior volume nodes are likely contracting.

To fix this you would do the following process:

1. Edit the definition of your Temperature boundary condition
          2. Remove all faces
          3. Press F5 on your keyboard to show the Selection Filter toolbar
          4. Select the 'Solid Body' filter ()
          5. Select the body (or bodies) of your model from the graphics window to make your selections
          6. Accept the changed Temperature boundary condition.

The run the study again and see if the results are not close to what you expect.