21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 10:13 AM by Brian Brazeau

Having a Heck of a time with Display States

Rob Edwards

So I have a simple two body part, an archway I will be fitting a door into.

I created two display states so that I can show the Front and Back Elevation but still see the outline of the opposite side.

Works fine in the part but when creating my drawing it was a bit flaky and I had to try several times,,,

but it worked, then it didn't, then it did, then it didn't at all....  grrrr!

It's like the Display State of one view overrides the display state of the other

It Shouldn't , these are two independent views. My suspicion is that the cause of the problem is the projected bottom view of each elevation.  As this was the first thing that broke.

Any tips or suggestions?  I still have the working drawing but I just know it's going to blow up on me the minute I sit down with the client.

This is what I want

Glenn you offered to help me , but you may regret it.

2016 Part attached.  I cannot attach the drawing sorry

• Re: Having a Heck of a time with Display States
          Glenn Schroeder

Rob,

I opened the Part and created a Drawing using my drawing template, and it looked fine.  I closed it after saving, opened it back up, and it was still fine.  Added a few dimensions and tried again several times.  Still okay.  I had made one small change in the Part file, but I don't know if that mattered.  When I looked at it from the top I saw a Surface body on the left side, so I hid it.  If you're still having problems with it you might try using the enclosed model instead of yours, or copy my drawing sheet into your drawing?  I'm sorry, but I don't have any other ideas.  I know you may not want to hear this, but if none of that works there may be a problem on your end.

Glenn

Alex Lachance

Unfortunately, since I'm 2016 SP4.0, I can't open the part. I do have some experience though with display states so I'll give you the help I can.

Does your part have external references? The fact that you say that it works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't, leads me to think that something needs to be rebuilt and is causing the problem.

Do you have configurations?

Have you tried making configurations and linking the display state to them?

Could you take screenshots of your display state inside the part please? Feature tree might help too.

If all else fails, I suggest having 3 configurations, one for the final result and one for each body. After that, you could use the ''delete body'' feature in order to get your other body to be hidden. Your final result configuration would still have both of the bodies so it shouldn't cause any problem anywhere else imo

Rob Edwards

Hi Alex - Thankyou

I'm on 16 SP5. I'd have thought you would be able to open my file

The display states behave as expected in the part - I just toggle between Shaded with Edges and HLR

The tree is nothing special but I do have an external reference via an inserted part that brings in a couple of ref surfaces and sketches for the sweeps.  There is a similar square version that will share the same profiles and I wanted to be able to update both projects at the same time.

I don't have any configurations - I did wonder if this might help - but I will probably be adding configs down the line and didn't want to complicate things unless necessary. -  I will try to see if it helps

I don't think it's anything to do with rebuilds as when it worked everything updated fine, it just stopped working when I was in the drawing and the model never changed.

I think I'll recreate the drawing and record the screen.

Thanks again

Rob Edwards

I've found out something extra.  The problem seems to be with High or Draft Quality...  works fine in Draft

Brian Brazeau

I think it also has something to do with the property of

I went back to your model and saved with each display state active and it seems to toggle which view tends to act up. See if you can repeat on your end.

Brian Brazeau

I know you didn't want to use configurations, but this seems to work. I can zoom in/out and toggle high quality draft quality without adverse effects.

Rob Edwards

Thanks Everyone

Both Alex and Brian suggested the solution of using configurations, I marked Brian's correct even though he gave it second as it was more concise to read at a glance.

In the end I opted for two derived configurations, that merely hold the display state, with everything else being link to parent.

Dan Pihlaja

This is how I have done things like this in the past.  Completely relying on display states seems to be mega flakey.  But using configurations as the driver and the display states as the passenger seems to work well.

Brian Brazeau

Reading this response made me start to think. I like display states because in mold design you can set-up an
                              A-half and a B-half display state and it makes it cleaner when creating drawings to release to the tool room. However, I get what you mean about them seeming mega flakey some times. It's a case where SW implements a new feature, but it doesn't always act as expected. Sometimes the new features work Great!. Sometimes they work, but are quirky. Sometimes they are a waste of time. Case in point are most of the mold tools. These are cases where they work for the most part, but fail sometimes or are actually harder to implement than just using regular SW tools to arrive at the final design (I personally don't use any of the exclusive mold tools ). The thing that keeps me from using mold tools is if there is a change in the customer part (which there never is) there is no way to change out the part and have everything rebuild correctly. No associativity. I wonder does any one know of a thread where the different enhancements that were made through the years are given up for peer review? If not this would be a good thread to start and would give SW a place to get feedback on enhancements they've implemented. It would have to be organized or it would get to be a mess. Maybe if there were a new category "Enhancement Review" with sub categories for each enhancement."Mold Tools", "Copy Settings Wizard","etc..."

Dan Pihlaja

Brian Brazeau wrote:

I wonder does any one know of a thread where the different enhancements that were made through the years are given up for peer review?

I believe that would be Beta testing.  Which anyone can participate in (as far as I know).  But agreed.  There are some things that I rarely use because they don't work as intended or don't change well.   On that note, the process for enhancement requests is the vehicle we have to making things better (that, and reporting things through our VAR's).

SolidWorks Enhancement Requests

Brian Brazeau

I won't ever do Beta testing and I am always leery of even installing the latest SW version until the bugs are worked out of it. (Still on 2016, but should be installing our copy of 2018 soon) As far as process enhancements go I have begun to use them, but as mentioned on this forum that procedure needs overhauling (would be nice if SW integrated the forum discussions into it somehow as it tends to go more in depth). Plus I doubt I would get far asking for associativity to the mold tools as that has not received attention for quite some time and is  the realm of partner products and I believe would require some serious effort to implement.

Rob Edwards

I like how you put that Dan - driver/passenger.  Display states are flakey which is a shame because configurations are a pain too.  I just had to rework this model for a small problem I had and then, oh I've got to redefine all my configs and display states..   seem's an unnecessary burden for such a simple drawing.  I honestly have no idea how you 'real' engineers cope.