7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 11:59 AM by Alex Lachance

Unable to save PDF to general access folder if someone is looking at it.

Jim Steinmeyer

In our work flow we create drawings and revisions then save them to a Shop Drawings folder as PDFs to give everyone else access to them. At this point the existing PDF is saved, with the revision letter subscript, to an Obsolete Drawings folder for the records and then is overwritten in the Shop Drawings folder with the new revision. The problem occurs when making a revision of an existing drawing. If anyone else in the company has the PDF of the existing PDF we are unable to save the new drawing in the Shop Drawings folder. The problem can exist if someone only has the file selected in Windows Explorer but not opened. Sometimes we have to wait a few days to be able to save the revised drawing which can result in forgetting to do it at all.

Does anyone have a way to resolve this problem short of sending out an email blast company wide to get the file closed? How does PDM handle saving the released PDFs?

• Re: Unable to save PDF to general access folder if someone is looking at it.
          Jim Sculley

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

In our work flow we create drawings and revisions then save them to a Shop Drawings folder as PDFs to give everyone else access to them. At this point the existing PDF is saved, with the revision letter subscript, to an Obsolete Drawings folder for the records and then is overwritten in the Shop Drawings folder with the new revision. The problem occurs when making a revision of an existing drawing. If anyone else in the company has the PDF of the existing PDF we are unable to save the new drawing in the Shop Drawings folder. The problem can exist if someone only has the file selected in Windows Explorer but not opened. Sometimes we have to wait a few days to be able to save the revised drawing which can result in forgetting to do it at all.

Does anyone have a way to resolve this problem short of sending out an email blast company wide to get the file closed? How does PDM handle saving the released PDFs?

This is the problem with shared folders.

PDM solves the problem by using a local vault view.  Everyone has their own 'view' of the vault (on their local hard drive) with their own copy of the files.  You work with your local copy.  If you don't have a local copy downloaded in your local view, it will be retrieved when you try to open it.  The retrieved version is (usually) the latest version that was checked in to the vault.  If you don't have the latest version locally, there is a visual indication of that and you can request the latest version (there is also a setting that can force users or groups to always work with the latest versions of files).

You could set up EPDM with no complicated workflows or permissions and just use the check-in/check-out part of it and it would be much better than a shared network folder.  Also, in SOLIDWORKS you are always working with files on your hard drive, so the speed penalties associated with opening files over the network is eliminated.

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Yes you are correct, in the vault environment, but what prompted my question other than just now having a PDF I can't save is that EPDM can save PDFs out to a open folder as one of the options when a drawing is released. Since that PDF is exported by EPDM at the time the file is promoted to Released I would assume it would happen during the day  while the existing drawing could conceivably be open. I was wondering how PDM handles that. Does it set up a task to attempt to save the file every hour until it goes through? If I had experience with creating tasks I might do that. Maybe it simply creates each PDF with the rev letter tagged? That is what I don't know.

Jim Sculley

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Jim,

Yes you are correct, in the vault environment, but what prompted my question other than just now having a PDF I can't save is that EPDM can save PDFs out to a open folder as one of the options when a drawing is released. Since that PDF is exported by EPDM at the time the file is promoted to Released I would assume it would happen during the day while the existing drawing could conceivably be open. I was wondering how PDM handles that. Does it set up a task to attempt to save the file every hour until it goes through? If I had experience with creating tasks I might do that. Maybe it simply creates each PDF with the rev letter tagged? That is what I don't know.

As soon as you are talking about files/folders outside of EPDM, the regular network file system rules apply (no saving a file open by someone else).

I don't use tasks with EPDM (I write add-ins) so I do not know what options are available on task failure.  I think it is better to simply avoid the situation by keeping the PDFs inside the vault where I have complete control.  For example, if a SOLIDWORKS drawing is being revised, the associated PDF isn't visible to the shop personnel (the PDF file state is changed automatically by an add-in when the SW drawing changes state).  The prevents the shop from using a drawing which is out of date.

If I need to send a PDF out for quote or something, I have an Export add-in that will copy the PDF from the vault to a user's home directory (or attach it to a new email) with the Revision number added to the file name.  It is understood by all that these exported PDFs are 'throw-aways' and that the document of record is the PDF in the vault.

Alex Lachance

Hey Jim,

Lucky for you, we had this same problem a little while ago. Here is an easy work around for you. The problem lies in the fact that both Adobe Reader/Acrobat and the viewer of Windows Explorer takes away the writing rights when viewing.

Here is what we did to fix the problem.

If Adobe Reader/Acrobat is already installed, keep it that way or uninstall, as you wish.

Install Foxit Reader

Install Sumatra (also a PDF reader)

The Windows Explorer viewer will use the Foxit viewer inside it and Sumatra will become your default PDF viewer, as sumatra does not take the writing priviledges away from the file.