28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 5:25 PM by Jim Steinmeyer

    woodworking

    Kasem Joni

      hi dears

      what about woodworking in solidworks

      any adds in to do door art modeling with solidworks?

      @

        • Re: woodworking
          Rick Becker

          Our resident Woodworking Guru and Master Designer of Wood Products is the Awesome and Amazing John Stoltzfus.

          You will need to wait until after 4 PM EDT to learn John's pronouncement.

          It will be worth the wait dear.

          • Re: woodworking
            Dan Pihlaja

            Rob Edwards would also be one to chime in here, I think.    Here is an example of his work:

              • Re: woodworking
                Rob Edwards

                Hi Kasem

                I believe there are add-ins however I'm not aware of anything that helps much with the traditional joinery our company specialises in - eg mortise and tenon, notched mitres, etc.

                I don't normally go as far as modelling any of the 'artistic' details, my job is mostly to devise the construction details from an artistic sketch or an architects 2d drawing.

                Often I will miss out most of the detail altogether - it would just take too long for a one off piece - and our joiners should know what to do anyway.

                 

                That being said I do enjoy modelling right down to the last detail and I will do when I get the opportunity.  This only really makes sense for certain jobs we are likely to repeat.  I find it very challenging to create parametric models that can be re-used and would love to see a Woodworking Tab up there next Sheet Metal, Surfaces and Weldments.

                 

                I mostly use Assemblies of Multi-body parts made with weldments.  I just prefer multi-body despite the difficulty of doing the detailing.

                 

                What kind of work are you looking to do?  I'm not sure what you mean by art modeling, can you post an example

                  • Re: woodworking
                    Glenn Schroeder

                    Rob,

                     

                    You said " I just prefer multi-body despite the difficulty of doing the detailing."  If you don't mind satisfying my curiosity, what do you find difficult about detailing multi-body Parts?  I work with them on almost every project.

                     

                    Glenn

                      • Re: woodworking
                        Matt Peneguy

                        I recently made a small cabinet at home and was able to rapidly (30 minutes or less) prototype it with weldments and get the drawings done for me to assemble the cabinet.  It's nice on some of these types of things to have exploded views and as far as I can tell you can't do that with weldments, or at least I couldn't figure it out.  So, I'd guess that is one fundamentally lacking area of multibody parts for this type of thing.

                        • Re: woodworking
                          Rob Edwards

                          Glenn

                          If you don't mind satisfying my curiosity, what do you find difficult about detailing multi-body Parts?  I work with them on almost every project.

                          I just find it very tedious with many mouse clicks to accomplish seemingly simple goals.  The UI is all over the place.    I have tried using Display States, Configurations, Relative Views, Select Bodies, Hide Bodies, Rotate View...

                           

                          For example I would like a simple section view of each distinct profile, all aligned as if they were laid out flat on the bench.  Easy enough per se but it seems to take an inordinate amount of time.

                           

                          I know I am well behind in my drawing skills and unfortunately there is always time pressure for me to get them down to the shop floor.

                           

                          Any tips would be most welcome.

                           

                          I'm just embarking on a new project and as we will be sharing the drawings back with the client I would like them to be professional looking so if you don't mind I will try and be more specific with a live problem when the time comes

                           

                          Best

                           

                          Rob

                            • Re: woodworking
                              Glenn Schroeder

                              Rob Edwards wrote:

                               

                              I'm just embarking on a new project and as we will be sharing the drawings back with the client I would like them to be professional looking so if you don't mind I will try and be more specific with a live problem when the time comes

                               

                               

                              Please do.  I'll be happy to help if I can, and if I can't I'll bet someone else will be able to.

                              • Re: woodworking
                                Paul Risley

                                Rob Edwards wrote:

                                 

                                Glenn

                                If you don't mind satisfying my curiosity, what do you find difficult about detailing multi-body Parts? I work with them on almost every project.

                                I just find it very tedious with many mouse clicks to accomplish seemingly simple goals. The UI is all over the place. I have tried using Display States, Configurations, Relative Views, Select Bodies, Hide Bodies, Rotate View...

                                 

                                For example I would like a simple section view of each distinct profile, all aligned as if they were laid out flat on the bench. Easy enough per se but it seems to take an inordinate amount of time.

                                 

                                I know I am well behind in my drawing skills and unfortunately there is always time pressure for me to get them down to the shop floor.

                                 

                                Any tips would be most welcome.

                                 

                                I'm just embarking on a new project and as we will be sharing the drawings back with the client I would like them to be professional looking so if you don't mind I will try and be more specific with a live problem when the time comes

                                 

                                Best

                                 

                                Rob

                                Rob,

                                 

                                You and I have conversed on weldments in the past and some issues you were having.

                                As far as a section view or something along those lines, when you create a weldment with a profile there is always a creation plane that is created. See below.

                                Capture.JPG

                                You can "normal to" this plane to see your weld profile in detail.While in "normal to" view in the model set up a named view for this and you can recall it at detailing time. On your drawing in this view click select bodies and pick the profile you are wishing to detail. You can rotate the view for a true "bench" layout at that point. Even if the part has miters in it for joining right where you are you should still get the profile as it is going to be made.

                                 

                                If you need further help with it or have more questions feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack a thread.

                                  • Re: woodworking
                                    Glenn Schroeder

                                    Paul Risley wrote:

                                     

                                    Rob,

                                     

                                    If you need further help with it or have more questions feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack a thread.

                                     

                                    ...or just start a new Discussion here so we can all have a chance to help.

                                      • Re: woodworking
                                        Paul Risley

                                        Glenn Schroeder wrote:

                                         

                                        Paul Risley wrote:

                                         

                                        Rob,

                                         

                                        If you need further help with it or have more questions feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack a thread.

                                         

                                        ...

                                        or just start a new Discussion here so we can all have a chance to help.

                                        Yep on that one.

                                    • Re: woodworking
                                      Jim Sculley

                                      With respect to joinery, there is a company that made a bunch of library features for woodworking joints.  They made it freely available here:

                                       

                                      https://www.cadtek.com/using-solidworks-design-furniture/

                                  • Re: woodworking
                                    Jim Steinmeyer

                                    Rob Edwards,

                                    The piece Dan showed looks absolutely fantastic! Do you do any woodworking yourself after designing it? Probably would not be much of a hobby since you work with it all day as well.

                                      • Re: woodworking
                                        Rob Edwards

                                        Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

                                         

                                        Rob Edwards,

                                        The piece Dan showed looks absolutely fantastic! Do you do any woodworking yourself after designing it? Probably would not be much of a hobby since you work with it all day as well.

                                        Hi Jim

                                         

                                        Yes I'm lucky - I have a split role and still get hands on when we're busy or the right job comes along.  If I'm ever quiet on this forum for a few weeks it's probably because I'm engrossed on a job or on site fitting.  Completely hijacking this thread myself here's a table I just finished waiting for delivery.  It's such beautiful wood I hope no-one minds.  The oak came out of a river in Croatia and has been there for 2000 - 5000 years

                                        Video trupci bog-wood - YouTube

                                          • Re: woodworking
                                            Christopher Estelow

                                            That table is simply stunning.  Love the look of the wood grain and the border all around.  Awesome job!!!

                                             

                                            Chris

                                            • Re: woodworking
                                              Jim Steinmeyer

                                              Rob,

                                              How do you fasten the border? Is it rabbited, tongue and grove or doweled?

                                                • Re: woodworking
                                                  Rob Edwards

                                                  Jim

                                                  I applied the border in two operations, first applying the end pieces.  I grooved the ends of the table top and machined a nice fitting groove onto the trim, leaving a small gap in the bottom for excess glue.  Note how the grain direction runs through, so this is an end-grain to end-grain joint.  The only worthwhile glue surface is from the edges of the groove (about 18mm total), but the sides are applied second and extend onto the ends which provides a nice extra support.  Just a butt joint here with a few biscuits to line up the top faces.  I did feel slightly guilty using biscuits, but machining into the solid would have reduced my width.

                                                    • Re: woodworking
                                                      Rick Becker

                                                      Rob Edwards wrote:

                                                      ...

                                                       

                                                      Rob, what font are you using in this SolidWorks drawing?

                                                      • Re: woodworking
                                                        Jim Steinmeyer

                                                        Rob Edwards wrote:

                                                         

                                                        Jim

                                                        I applied the border in two operations, first applying the end pieces. I grooved the ends of the table top and machined a nice fitting groove onto the trim, leaving a small gap in the bottom for excess glue. Note how the grain direction runs through, so this is an end-grain to end-grain joint. The only worthwhile glue surface is from the edges of the groove (about 18mm total), but the sides are applied second and extend onto the ends which provides a nice extra support. Just a butt joint here with a few biscuits to line up the top faces. I did feel slightly guilty using biscuits, but machining into the solid would have reduced my width.

                                                        Thank you. I bought a biscuit joiner for a stand I made last fall and it worked better than the dowels I used before, but I am a rank amateur. I used to call myself a master chainsaw carpenter then I saw people doing artwork carvings with chainsaws. Now I am just an amateur.

                                            • Re: woodworking
                                              Alan Bumbaugh

                                              Kasem,

                                              While not wood, Shon Owl, does some fantastic sculpted modeling.

                                              Alan

                                              • Re: woodworking
                                                Francisco Martínez

                                                It is lacking the usual stuff found in cabinet vision or microvellum. Mostly the automation part that makes your job less stressful.

                                                 

                                                Just have to setup good robust models if you are going to want to resize one cabinet to fill out all the catalog sizes.

                                                • Re: woodworking
                                                  John Stoltzfus

                                                  Thanks for the kudo's guy's but thinking the OP should follow the Shon Owl link